What amplifier to get around 100 dollars?
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #31 of 47
I can easily get the Pro-Ject for less than 100 dollars but I remember ProtegeManiac telling me it's no good? And the first you mentioned is over my budget, 200+ dollars..

V cans easily available for less than £100/ €100 on eBay in mint order Bought mine a few years ago for £60. Newer Headbox 'S' is improvement on original and highly regarded just ignored like the Musical Fidelity on Headfi. it's Americancentric and sponsored so you will always be automatically recommended Schiit (that name makes me cringe:grinning:)

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #32 of 47
V cans easily available for less than £100/ €100 on eBay in mint order Bought mine a few years ago for £60. Newer Headbox 'S' is improvement on original and highly regarded just ignored like the Musical Fidelity on Headfi. it's Americancentric and sponsored so you will always be automatically recommended Schiit (that name makes me cringe:grinning:)

MF V-Can 2 and Project Headbox S are both great amps for the money, nothing wrong with them, it's just that almost nobody in the US heard of them let alone used them.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #33 of 47
Well, 1. The Magni would be stupid to buy from amazon since I live in Sweden
And 2. The O2 were just not for me. Everything you said with the battery and then all the ports in the front, nah man.
The U7 is alot cheaper than the K5 (like 50 dollars) and as mentioned I do get increased sound quality, better DSP features, built-in amp and it's exterior.
When I had my Siberia v2 with my DSX I had like Windows on 70-80, and Spotify on 50 or so. Games were always too loud so. Do you think the U7 could power up the Dt's, and not so I have to have high volume to get a satisfying sound level but so I have headroom at least.

And what about the Strix Soar/ Raid? Any comments? I've read good reviews about it.

If gaming is important to you, then get a sound card.  Something like the Asus Essence ST or STX will do a FAR better job at powering those headphones than any external entry level amplifier anywhere near the price will. You can get used cards like that for far less than 100€, and you'll get a very strong amplifier, very good DAC (wipes the floor with anything external below 200€, and that's for music in a pure 2 channel setting) and comes with a bunch of DSP for gaming if that's what you like, although all of those DSP's are pretty useless and all they do is reduce the sound quality and make the sound very unnatural. Stick to stereo, even for gaming.  So, if you want value for money, great sound and a card that can actually properly power your high impedance headphones, a sound card is a much better choice if you can live with having to plug the headphone into the back of your PC and controlling the volume digitally (or with your keyboard if it has a controller on it).

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #34 of 47
If you could find some info on the U7 I would really appreciate it. As with why I don't do it is 'cause I am not good with those numbers and such. You would understand better than me and then translate it to a human language
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the thing, they barely have any info out on those. Not having any info and relying on USB bus is what makes me cautious about its amplifier circuit and just emphasizing that its DSP really is the important bit, and in case the amp falls short, you can always just hook up an amp to it.

MF V-Can 2 and Project Headbox S are both great amps for the money, nothing wrong with them, it's just that almost nobody in the US heard of them let alone used them.\

Did the V-Can2 fix the gain issue on the original V-Can? Kind of like why the Rega Ear isn't popular in Head-Fi although it is on some speaker forums, but then that's because the people there more likely have heard of Rega (and MF) more than Little Dot (well, back in 2009) or Schiit.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #35 of 47
That's the thing, they barely have any info out on those. Not having any info and relying on USB bus is what makes me cautious about its amplifier circuit and just emphasizing that its DSP really is the important bit, and in case the amp falls short, you can always just hook up an amp to it.

Did the V-Can2 fix the gain issue on the original V-Can? Kind of like why the Rega Ear isn't popular in Head-Fi although it is on some speaker forums, but then that's because the people there more likely have heard of Rega (and MF) more than Little Dot (well, back in 2009) or Schiit.

Yes the v2 volume is smooth linear and balanced between channels.

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #36 of 47
If gaming is important to you, then get a sound card.  Something like the Asus Essence ST or STX will do a FAR better job at powering those headphones than any external entry level amplifier anywhere near the price will. You can get used cards like that for far less than 100€, and you'll get a very strong amplifier, very good DAC (wipes the floor with anything external below 200€, and that's for music in a pure 2 channel setting) and comes with a bunch of DSP for gaming if that's what you like, although all of those DSP's are pretty useless and all they do is reduce the sound quality and make the sound very unnatural. Stick to stereo, even for gaming.  So, if you want value for money, great sound and a card that can actually properly power your high impedance headphones, a sound card is a much better choice if you can live with having to plug the headphone into the back of your PC and controlling the volume digitally (or with your keyboard if it has a controller on it).

Well I couldn't find a used Essence STX (found neither 1 or 2 but which one you recommend?) in Sweden at least, I could search Ebay for it. But I need one ASAP. I don't find my Xonar DSX to be superior to anything. It isn't even mean't for headphones compared to the DG(X).. So rather find a new sound card like you recommend.
But I suppose a new sound card with a built in amp would sound better than my sound card with an amp? And I think the Pro-Ject is mean't for headphones over 150 ohms?

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 47
Well I couldn't find a used Essence STX (found neither 1 or 2 but which one you recommend?) in Sweden at least, I could search Ebay for it. But I need one ASAP. I don't find my Xonar DSX to be superior to anything. It isn't even mean't for headphones compared to the DG(X).. So rather find a new sound card like you recommend.
But I suppose a new sound card with a built in amp would sound better than my sound card with an amp? And I think the Pro-Ject is mean't for headphones over 150 ohms?

Yes, there is no point in amplifying a signal that comes out of a bad sounding source. You'll make it louder of course, but that's about it. On top of it, you'll 99% certainly have ground loop issues, as is almost always the case when connecting low end sound cards to external amplifiers.   Either get a good soundcard, or a separate external DAC and amp, or dac/amp all in one unit, but the fact is, at low prices, where you're at,  a sound card with a headphone amp will give you the best value for money. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #38 of 47
Yes, there is no point in amplifying a signal that comes out of a bad sounding source. You'll make it louder of course, but that's about it. On top of it, you'll 99% certainly have ground loop issues, as is almost always the case when connecting low end sound cards to external amplifiers.   Either get a good soundcard, or a separate external DAC and amp, or dac/amp all in one unit, but the fact is, at low prices, where you're at,  a sound card with a headphone amp will give you the best value for money. 

Yes, I agree with you. But the STX only supports 5.1 surround and that's holding me back... It's even over my budget but I'll try to find a used one (looked yesterday bot no luck). And the STX II is double my budget.
Is the head. amp on the STX the same as the STX II? Because I really think I'll be going for the STX tbh.
And would you be so kind and please tell me your oppinion of Dolby Headphone (aka virtual surroun) :) .

And if I really need surround I've got a pro license (because I was in the beta I believe) on Razer Surround, oppinions?

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #39 of 47
Heya guys! 
Just a question before I decide for an STX. Asus new sound cards (Strix series) seem good? Read reviews and everyone of them had at least 4 stars. So if someone could look it up, if I should still go for the STX or go for an Strix card. Yes I know, they are gaming branded and all but if you look at the software and specs they don't look too shabby? 
I am still leaning for an STX though 'cause I know it's one of a kind premium hardware. But just thought that the STX was released 2008 while these were released 2015/16? Both of them got 600 ohm headphone amp as well. I still know the STX is superior, but these sound cards are like 8 years newer, made with our present technology.

Some quick info:
STX (1 & 2):
DAC: TI Bur-Brown PCM1792A
Audio processor: ASUS AV100
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
STRIX SOAR:
DAC: ESS SABRE9006A
Audio processor: :C-Media USB2.0 6632AX

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #40 of 47
Not if we're also considering:

1. Quality in performance and build
2. Shipping,
3. Import taxes
4. Relative ease of product support

I'm listening with the Pangea HP101 right now, and for example it's $90 on Amazon. However if I ordered and shipped it to Manila I would have paid around $50 for shipping and taxes, and that assumes I use a cargo forwarding service that pays a flat tax rate, as opposed to using FedEx or USPS and have the sharks in our "protectionist" (protect what? we barely have this kind of industry here apart from very expensive tube amps and a few speaker manufacturers, and one of them only does horns and FR drivers) Customs office. I got it for Christmas from my Dad and he stuffed it into a box filled up with other stuff that pays a flat tax and doesn't get opened up when it gets here.

All taken into consideration, your best option is the Meier Rock actually - prices published already include EU shipping and taxes so there's not going to be some kind of surprise when you pick it up (the only other country for that is the US thanks to total free trade). 

---

That said, check out the Fiio K5. Look up any local dealers or distributors for Sweden and check where you can buy it over there. I have no idea what the local prices are unlike Head-N-HiFi in Switzerland and Meier in Germany, and I won't be surprised if it's a little bit over $130. If you can get it from a brick and mortar store near you though then instead of shipping you just pay for bus/train tickets or petrol/diesel (or hydrogen or electricity, whatever you drive right now).

I chose to pick up a used (and discontinued) Turtle Bay DSS2 and connected it to my XB1 console using its TOSlink. $40 CDN on Kijijii. also desired some degree of virtual surround sound (whatever that means). It sounds far, far better than my original headphone >>> Weird xbox plug-in adapter >>> controller >>> console. Or the headphone >>> LG tv <<< hdmi <<<< HDMI <<< console pathways. No more hiss, pops. And dang it, I get some kind of surround-sound effect. For me, a $100 el cheapo DAC/amp worked out.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #42 of 47

It filters sound across both channels and adds reverb in such a way that it simulates how two ears hear 5.1 speakers in a room rather than how left ear hears left driver and right ear hears right driver in a normal headphone config.

I just learned something today, ProtegeManiac. Thanks, eh. I chose to spend the money on a $200-500 pair of cans and then add the DAC.  I just got feedback from Schiit about whether or not the Schiit lineup of DAC units process the Dolby code coming from the XB1's TOSlink into some kind of surround-sound output.  Reply: "The DAC will only decode 2 channel PCM, surround formats must be disabled in the source" (April 22, 2017 [Nick T.  tech@schiit.com]).

When my existing, used, $40 TB DSS2 finally kacks out, I'll go searching for some kind of modular answer (separate DAC & amp units & comfortable $200-500 over-the-ear-cans) to my aural needs.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #43 of 47
  I just learned something today, ProtegeManiac. Thanks, eh. I chose to spend the money on a $200-500 pair of cans and then add the DAC.  I just got feedback from Schiit about whether or not the Schiit lineup of DAC units process the Dolby code coming from the XB1's TOSlink into some kind of surround-sound output.  Reply: "The DAC will only decode 2 channel PCM, surround formats must be disabled in the source" (April 22, 2017 [Nick T.  tech@schiit.com]).

When my existing, used, $40 TB DSS2 finally kacks out, I'll go searching for some kind of modular answer (separate DAC & amp units & comfortable $200-500 over-the-ear-cans) to my aural needs.

That DSS2 has optical output. Set it to process surround signals down into a headphone 2ch virtual surround signal, and what comes out of it is 2ch, whether analogue or optical. The latter can be fed into the Modi2 Uber or any DAC that has optical output.

Check the box if the 3.5mm optical/toslink adapter came with it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #44 of 47

That DSS2 has optical output. Set it to process surround signals down into a headphone 2ch virtual surround signal, and what comes out of it is 2ch, whether analogue or optical. The latter can be fed into the Modi2 Uber or any DAC that has optical output.

Check the box if the 3.5mm optical/toslink adapter came with it.

Re: DSS2 optical output. Huh... not on this version (see image [with cat chew-marks on the bloody audio cable]) of the little black box! I used my own TOSlink cable (and short USB cable for power)  from the XB1 to the DSS (the supplied USB/TOSlink cable was fused together and ~2-3 mm diameter [and creased]).  Re: ports.  AUX in 3.5" jack was INPUT. ANALOGUE was a 3.5" jack INPUT.  I suspect, ProtegeManiac, this unit underwent several revisions before it was discontinued. I still can't get over how much it was going on amazon dot ca... $120 plus shipping?! No. Just no. I'm a late bloomer to the kijijii bandwagon, but it's a dandy service.

God, I love seeing those 4 blue LEDs blazing away after a day of work (another image).
Nothing like powering up Metro, and sneaking around in the shadows.
Therapeutic.
Be careful out there, everyone.
SM2017.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #45 of 47

Re: DSS2 optical output. Huh... not on this version (see image [with cat chew-marks on the bloody audio cable]) of the little black box! I used my own TOSlink cable (and short USB cable for power)  from the XB1 to the DSS (the supplied USB/TOSlink cable was fused together and ~2-3 mm diameter [and creased]).  Re: ports.  AUX in 3.5" jack was INPUT. ANALOGUE was a 3.5" jack INPUT.  I suspect, ProtegeManiac, this unit underwent several revisions before it was discontinued. I still can't get over how much it was going on amazon dot ca... $120 plus shipping?! No. Just no. I'm a late bloomer to the kijijii bandwagon, but it's a dandy service.

I was referring to the 3.5mm output being a combo analogue headphone output and toslink output (just needs an adapter), same way my Xonar U3 can work either as an external soundcard or just a DSP. I've seen it mentioned in other threads so I assumed this would have it, but I've gone through the manual and there is no mention of it being a combo jack.

In case the manual is omitted it there's an easy way to tell. Unplug the headphone then peer into the 3.5mm output socket. If there's an intense (when on-axis) laser coming out of it, ie, not just the glow from the LED indicator lights in there, that's a combo jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back