What amplifier to get around 100 dollars?
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

killerline

Head-Fier
Hello people of head-fi!

I am not good with this kind of stuff so I'll ask you guys - what amplifier around 100$ (maximum 130$) would work with a pair of headphones under 300 ohms? I don't want nor need a portable one, I'd rather stay away from those if anything.
I haven't decided what pair of headphones I should get but was thinking of the DT990 250 ohm version, the AKG K702. Haven't thought of any other headphones so far.
I don't want a massive amp as well, a smaller one would be appreciated.
I know that different amps change the sound signature a little so if something, depending on the headphones, more sound stage (if that even works?) and tighter bass (Spoiler, I'm a bass head :X ). 

I live in Sweden btw so keep in mind that stuff here is more expensive due to taxes and we don't have everything neither.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

EDIT: Right now I am leaning for the DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm but I will still listen to the K702, FYI.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 47
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 47
  I am not good with this kind of stuff so I'll ask you guys - what amplifier around 100$ (maximum 130$) would work with a pair of headphones under 300 ohms? I don't want nor need a portable one, I'd rather stay away from those if anything.
I haven't decided what pair of headphones I should get but was thinking of the DT990 250 ohm version, the AKG K702. Haven't thought of any other headphones so far.
I don't want a massive amp as well, a smaller one would be appreciated.
I know that different amps change the sound signature a little so if something, depending on the headphones, more sound stage (if that even works?) and tighter bass (Spoiler, I'm a bass head :X ). 

I live in Sweden btw so keep in mind that stuff here is more expensive due to taxes and we don't have everything neither.

Still a bit over your budget *plus shipping I think) but this is better than really cheap stuff.
http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/desktop-headphone-amplifiers/O2-Desktop-limited-special-edition

Alternately you can save up for the Corda Rock
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 47
Jun 28, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 47
I paid $100 for my Schiit Asgard One. Go used maybe?

Maybe the least powerful amp for your AKG 702s, as with the wrong amp they have troubles. It just runs my k701s.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

So there isn't really any amps that costs under 100$? I am actually both surprised and disappointed.

Not if we're also considering:

1. Quality in performance and build
2. Shipping,
3. Import taxes
4. Relative ease of product support

I'm listening with the Pangea HP101 right now, and for example it's $90 on Amazon. However if I ordered and shipped it to Manila I would have paid around $50 for shipping and taxes, and that assumes I use a cargo forwarding service that pays a flat tax rate, as opposed to using FedEx or USPS and have the sharks in our "protectionist" (protect what? we barely have this kind of industry here apart from very expensive tube amps and a few speaker manufacturers, and one of them only does horns and FR drivers) Customs office. I got it for Christmas from my Dad and he stuffed it into a box filled up with other stuff that pays a flat tax and doesn't get opened up when it gets here.

All taken into consideration, your best option is the Meier Rock actually - prices published already include EU shipping and taxes so there's not going to be some kind of surprise when you pick it up (the only other country for that is the US thanks to total free trade). 

---

That said, check out the Fiio K5. Look up any local dealers or distributors for Sweden and check where you can buy it over there. I have no idea what the local prices are unlike Head-N-HiFi in Switzerland and Meier in Germany, and I won't be surprised if it's a little bit over $130. If you can get it from a brick and mortar store near you though then instead of shipping you just pay for bus/train tickets or petrol/diesel (or hydrogen or electricity, whatever you drive right now).

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #11 of 47
Not if we're also considering:

1. Quality in performance and build
2. Shipping,
3. Import taxes
4. Relative ease of product support

I'm listening with the Pangea HP101 right now, and for example it's $90 on Amazon. However if I ordered and shipped it to Manila I would have paid around $50 for shipping and taxes, and that assumes I use a cargo forwarding service that pays a flat tax rate, as opposed to using FedEx or USPS and have the sharks in our "protectionist" (protect what? we barely have this kind of industry here apart from very expensive tube amps and a few speaker manufacturers, and one of them only does horns and FR drivers) Customs office. I got it for Christmas from my Dad and he stuffed it into a box filled up with other stuff that pays a flat tax and doesn't get opened up when it gets here.

All taken into consideration, your best option is the Meier Rock actually - prices published already include EU shipping and taxes so there's not going to be some kind of surprise when you pick it up (the only other country for that is the US thanks to total free trade). 

---

That said, check out the Fiio K5. Look up any local dealers or distributors for Sweden and check where you can buy it over there. I have no idea what the local prices are unlike Head-N-HiFi in Switzerland and Meier in Germany, and I won't be surprised if it's a little bit over $130. If you can get it from a brick and mortar store near you though then instead of shipping you just pay for bus/train tickets or petrol/diesel (or hydrogen or electricity, whatever you drive right now).

Hmm...
Well we've actually got a bunch of Fiios here in Sweden and found the K5 for 150 dollars... I guess I maybe could get it.
Depends on if I am going to pick up the DT990 or Fidelio X2. Both the DT and K5 would be a total of more than 300 dollars. Isn't there any other, maybe cheaper Fiio you would recommend? If not, I will get the K5 I guess.

But onto another question. What headphones would you recommend?
Comfort wise (long and short sessions): Fidelio X2 vs DT990 Pro (Premium one costs like 70 bucks more here so no thanks).
Sound wise (ie more bass, clearer audio, sound stage): Fidelio X2 vs DT990?
Quality wise (I guess which would last longer or simply is better built?): Fidelio X2 vs DT990?
Gaming wise (sound stage, which sounds suits gaming best?): Fidelio X2 or DT990?

And I know that the Fidelio X2 is the easier to drive but would it work of my Xonar DSX?

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Both the DT and K5 would be a total of more than 300 dollars. Isn't there any other, maybe cheaper Fiio you would recommend? If not, I will get the K5 I guess.

There's the E10K, but it only takes USB inputs and is powered by USB. That limits it to computer use, and in case you upgrade to a headphone that's a bit harder to drive later on, you'll upgrade it anyway. Also, given USB input, you can't use it with your soundcard, so if you're thinking of using virtual surround, you're stuck with Razer Surround.

There's also the A3 and Q1 - they're portables so after many years the batteries will need replacement, and again very high impedance or low enough sensitivity will mean you'll upgrade it anyway. 

Basically getting the K5, or paying a little bit more for the O2 or Rock, will be relatively future-proof.

Quote:

And I know that the Fidelio X2 is the easier to drive but would it work of my Xonar DSX?

The nominal impedance of the X2 could be too low for the output impedance of the DSX, and have some EQ effect that will boost or cut the bass.

Quote:

But onto another question. What headphones would you recommend?
Comfort wise (long and short sessions): Fidelio X2 vs DT990 Pro (Premium one costs like 70 bucks more here so no thanks).
Sound wise (ie more bass, clearer audio, sound stage): Fidelio X2 vs DT990?
Quality wise (I guess which would last longer or simply is better built?): Fidelio X2 vs DT990?
Gaming wise (sound stage, which sounds suits gaming best?): Fidelio X2 or DT990?

I generally like the X2's sound better and would just try to ignore the bass EQ effect if you're going to go as cheap as possible, but there's one other problem: check for earpad replacements for the X2. AFAIK some were glued so they need to be shipped back for replacements, and even the ones that weren't don't have a lot of replacement pads hanging around. By contrast earpads for the Beyers are all over Thomann, and Amazon also has third party pads. Your local Beyer distributor might even have them on stock. Long term, owning the DT990 is easier. Philips' products are too diverse and if you call up the local distributor they might be more likely to have a spare blender blade on stock than X2 earpads for example.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #13 of 47
There's the E10K, but it only takes USB inputs and is powered by USB. That limits it to computer use, and in case you upgrade to a headphone that's a bit harder to drive later on, you'll upgrade it anyway. Also, given USB input, you can't use it with your soundcard, so if you're thinking of using virtual surround, you're stuck with Razer Surround.

There's also the A3 and Q1 - they're portables so after many years the batteries will need replacement, and again very high impedance or low enough sensitivity will mean you'll upgrade it anyway. 

Basically getting the K5, or paying a little bit more for the O2 or Rock, will be relatively future-proof.

The nominal impedance of the X2 could be too low for the output impedance of the DSX, and have some EQ effect that will boost or cut the bass.

I generally like the X2's sound better and would just try to ignore the bass EQ effect if you're going to go as cheap as possible, but there's one other problem: check for earpad replacements for the X2. AFAIK some were glued so they need to be shipped back for replacements, and even the ones that weren't don't have a lot of replacement pads hanging around. By contrast earpads for the Beyers are all over Thomann, and Amazon also has third party pads. Your local Beyer distributor might even have them on stock. Long term, owning the DT990 is easier. Philips' products are too diverse and if you call up the local distributor they might be more likely to have a spare blender blade on stock than X2 earpads for example.

The X2 goes for 250$ while the DT990 goes for 150$ but both still needs an amp. So I will just have to go for the DT990 (or if you don't know any other headphone that would suit a bass head like me and all other requirements I mentioned above? I only know of the DT990s. I will get the K5 then as well... And there really isn't anything else I could get? Cheaper?

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

The X2 goes for 250$ while the DT990 goes for 150$ but both still needs an amp. 

That depends on what device you currently have really, the only real problem with the X2 isn't that it needs a lot of power, just a low output impedance. Any decent portable player will work, but in your case what you currently have is a soundcard, and they aren't known for low output impedance. Check your soundcard's specs to confirm if it has, at most, around 5ohms. If that's the case the X2 won't have any real issues with it. Sound-wise I'd really go with the X2, but given it's more likely that the output impedance of your soundcard is higher, plus the issue with parts especially earpads, I'm more inclined to just EQ the DT990 to trim the treble a bit rather than sit with flattened, worn out earpads and not easily get a replacement.

Quote:

So I will just have to go for the DT990 ... I will get the K5 then as well... 

Given how easy it is to get parts, yes. Overall it's just a lot easier to own. Using an EQ is easier than pulling you hair out looking for earpads, unless you can get third party earpads from Amazon over there (check the X2 thread regarding what are known to fit).

Quote:

(or if you don't know any other headphone that would suit a bass head like me and all other requirements I mentioned above? I only know of the DT990s... And there really isn't anything else I could get? Cheaper?

Superlux HD660. Uses a rip off Beyer chassis, so you can bend the metal to adjust the fit, as well as use third party pads that will fit a DT770. At 120ohms its impedance isn't too low for soundcards, nor is its impedance too high for most of them either. Lower sensitivity but I have my Xonar U3 on high gain mode (forgot what it's called as they use a gimmicky "Gamer" naming system for features designed more by the Marketing Dept than the engineers) and games, YouTube, even low-gain classical music, won't need to go above 70% of Windows volume. Xonar U3 has audible distortion by that point but I barely get that far anyway.

I'd suggest you get Beyer pads (or 3rd party pads for Beyers) though, the stock Superlux pads are too thin and the opening for the earlobe is kinda cramped.
http://www.thomann.de/be/superlux_hd_660.htm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/iParaAiluRy-Replacement-Cushions-Beyerdynamic-Headphones/dp/B011KUUJQI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467129047&sr=8-2&keywords=DT770+earpads

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #15 of 47

Superlux HD660. Uses a rip off Beyer chassis, so you can bend the metal to adjust the fit, as well as use third party pads that will fit a DT770. At 120ohms its impedance isn't too low for soundcards, nor is its impedance too high for most of them either. Lower sensitivity but I have my Xonar U3 on high gain mode (forgot what it's called as they use a gimmicky "Gamer" naming system for features designed more by the Marketing Dept than the engineers) and games, YouTube, even low-gain classical music, won't need to go above 70% of Windows volume. Xonar U3 has audible distortion by that point but I barely get that far anyway.

Haha when I said cheaper I mean't the amp, not the headphones :D . But thank you, if anything, I don't wanna get any cheaper headphone than 150$ for desktop use.

But soon enough, after I've bought my Gtx 1070 I will buy the DT 990 (of course I will test it first, but it should be comfortable right?) and let it burn in. Will also pair it with the Fiio K5 as well. 
Because that's what you guys recommended me to get. Just two questions though:
How long should I let the DT990 burn in until the would sound optimal? Was thinking of letting them play like 24 hours a day in like three days maybe, on my iPhone (just my normal playlist on Spotify). Would that work?
And second. How would I setup the amp? Would I need a RCA to Aux cable and use it like this: Aux end to the PC and RCA end to amp, then my headphones into the headphone port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back