What amp to get for the Ultimate Ear Triple Fi.10
Nov 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #31 of 40
You really won't gain much from an amp. I have a receiver with gobs of power and the only thing it does to IEMs is give them a little more bass and a little more soundstage, but it is a small difference. I hear most portable amps are not even this good unless you unless you spend hundreds of dollars. The Fiio and a lower end Ibasso are nice for some things, but for IEMs I think they are redundant. Get the full size cans you want and save up for a real home amp, or even a really good portable one.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:
Sure, there might be some SQ benefit to using this amp and the iPod's line out. But, is it worth 80$ and having to lug around double the stuff, worry about two batteries, use two different interfaces at a time, etc etc.

I would know, I have used my TF10 with an amp in the past. Personally I do think they sounded a bit better, but only when I was sitting down in my room and trying hard to listen. On the go (which is what an iPod is apparently designed for, who knew?) it is much harder to make things out and it is a big PITA.  So, for my intents and purposes I dropped the amp because the SQ improvement it no way outweighed the cons. Were I traveling by segway, being chauffered around, or some other method other than bus and metro, I might see things differently.

Got my TF10s in last year's discount, direct from Logitech.  I gave up on my cmoyBB for a while because the SQ hardly justified lugging it around.  Got what I paid for, I guess. Then, I decided to keep it by my bed and started trying different opamps. In the meantime, I also got my old Rio Karma working again, with 32 GB CF and dock with line out. So now I use my TF10s hooked up to the cmoy with dual AD627 playing FLAC files.  Doesn't change the overall presentation of the TF10s (I think the mistake many people who try amps with IEMs make is that they think it'll change the IEMs - think I sort of did at first), but I now I get a lot more separation and air. I feel like the mids are less recessed, but that could be my imagination.  Same overall presentation, which I EQ anyways.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, there might be some SQ benefit to using this amp and the iPod's line out. But, is it worth 80$ and having to lug around double the stuff, worry about two batteries, use two different interfaces at a time, etc etc.

I would know, I have used my TF10 with an amp in the past. Personally I do think they sounded a bit better, but only when I was sitting down in my room and trying hard to listen. On the go (which is what an iPod is apparently designed for, who knew?) it is much harder to make things out and it is a big PITA.  So, for my intents and purposes I dropped the amp because the SQ improvement it no way outweighed the cons. Were I traveling by segway, being chauffered around, or some other method other than bus and metro, I might see things differently.

Got my TF10s in last year's discount, direct from Logitech.  I gave up on my cmoyBB for a while because the SQ hardly justified lugging it around.  Got what I paid for, I guess. Then, I decided to keep it by my bed and started trying different opamps. In the meantime, I also got my old Rio Karma working again, with 32 GB CF and dock with line out. So now I use my TF10s hooked up to the cmoy with dual AD627 playing FLAC files.  Doesn't change the overall presentation of the TF10s (I think the mistake many people who try amps with IEMs make is that they think it'll change the IEMs - think I sort of did at first), but I now I get a lot more separation and air. I feel like the mids are less recessed, but that could be my imagination.  Same overall presentation, which I EQ anyways.

However, if you wanted to take your player and TF10s everywhere easily, I would skip the amp. If you don't care, then try an inexpensive amp and see if you like the sound. Don't let anyone tell you that it is no worth the hassle of lugging the amp around- you are the one doing it and they are your ears. However, think about whether you really want to carry around another small box that makes a not so small box when combined with a DAP.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #34 of 40
Face it, how many people are amping a line out? Those guys with iMods and other daps that have real lineout.
There's no need for amping an iem unless you're going to be using that amp semi-portably at home with your headphones as well.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
Face it, how many people are amping a line out? Those guys with iMods and other daps that have real lineout.
There's no need for amping an iem unless you're going to be using that amp semi-portably at home with your headphones as well.

Agreed. However, even from a headphone out, there are marginal improvements with a cheap amp. it would make a world more of sense to use the amp with headphones, but to each his own.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #36 of 40
Or you can have an amp for both your earphones and your headphones :) I will agree that earphones typically don't benefit too much (but they do benefit for the most part) with a couple of exceptions but that gain from amping may be worth it for some. I find amps to be near the last in the chain of upgrade for a portable rig. I would prefer not amping if I had the choice and the reason that I do not own a portable amp anymore. I would rather get a dap that has a powerful output and just use the headphone out but that's just me. I see the benefits of amping but I like carrying one dap instead of an additional cable and amp as well as the dap.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #37 of 40
Something like the Hifiman HM-601 or 602 or a Cowon player have powerful outputs, and do very well without an amp from what I have heard. The QLS QA350 has a good amp inside it, has a wireless remote, and a real volume knob, but it is twice as big as the players I mentioned above, has no EQ, and only takes WAV from SD cards. I like it, but use my other players that have everything it doesn't about half the time, for various reasons.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #38 of 40
Well I'm hoping to pair it up with my TTVJ MPH once it arrives..
from all accounts it seems the tripl.fi's don't need an amp to sound good, so unless you have some specific reasons to tweak the SQ, no need to buy an amp. 
in my case, from what I have read they can be sometimes fatiguing in the treble, so I'm hoping the TTVJ to soften the highs a little, and also bring the mids forward as it is TTVJ's major strength. I like warm sound so even though the triples are warm, it should work for me. 
of course this all depends on how sensitive the triples are. I have been pairing up this amp with my AT-CKM70, and the sound it gives compared to unamped is much better. added warmth and fuller body to the point they feel like listening to headphones rather than thin sounding iems. though their sensitivity is 106db and triples are 117db, so they might be just too sensitive....will see how they do. 
also you need to consider what type of music you are listening to...I find amping for classical very nice and enjoyable with the CKM70's but not so much with bass heavy music, as it becomes a bit overpowering..
so what i want to say, I guess is, that there are lots of factors to decide before just buying an amp... 

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #39 of 40

The best place would be here. Just post and ad Wanting to buy(WTB) in the amp classifieds section. you should have a response very quickly from other head-fiers looking to sell there's. Also its cheaper than new, could be had here for around the 275 to 325 USD range. Cheers
Quote:
Quote:
Beings that the mids are somewhat recessed on the Trip's or should i say not forward as how i see it with them, I would recommend either the P-51 Mustang or The shadow beings they have a mid-range emphasis which IMO balances them out. I use to own both and that's JMO. Cheers

You know, I researched the P-51 Mustang amp and it has really positive feedback. Now the question is where can I purchase one? Thanks! And secondly, I can use it with my future Beyerdynamic DT880 or the Senn's HD595...

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #40 of 40
A good amp does make sound different for sure, but in my case, I didn't like how it changed, I liked how my IEM sounded without amp.
Of course this is personal preference and different amps will result different sound change.
I am pretty sure now that I will spend money on custom IEM instead of amp, maybe amp is after I am done searching for custom IEM.
So unless you have IEM / headphone that really needs volume boost, I would just save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back