What amp do you use if you have LCD2 and listen mostly to classical music?
Jul 6, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

rmilewsk

Head-Fier
Right now I have a Burson 160. My objectives are to lighten up the sound a little. But not much. I think the bass is a little overwhelming and disconnected on classical music. The high's a tad recessed.

I'm trying to narrow down my search to the top 2 or 3 amps to try. I would be willing to go up to $2500 or even a bit higher. I"m thinking about going balanced since my DAC is a balanced design. (ayre qb9)

I've read good things about the amps below.

Woo audio WA22 - seems like a good company. I love tubes in my main non headphone system. SET amp etc. I like that this is an American company that makes good products. I'm concerned the tubes will aggravate my existing issues with the LCD2's.

Audio GD Phoenix - Seems like well made system using solid state. I'm very concerned that they don't seem to have an American distributor. My concerns are two fold. [size=x-small]1. The cost of shipping will be much cheaper with a distributor. [size=x-small]2. If I have any issues with the unit and I have to send it back I only have to send it back to the importer/distributer. Which will cost me much less in shipping. [/size]I also will only have to deal with an American company if I have issues. I have contacted audio GD about the lack of an american distributor and they said they have one. Pacific Valve and electric. Pacific valve does not have the Pheonix available for sale on their website and emails asking about the unit go unanswered. I can only assume they do not currently sell the unit.[/size]

[size=x-small]I'm looking for any other suggestions to put on my short list. [/size]

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 26
Have you considered using a different headphone rather than changing the amp? As I've listened to my LCD-2s more, I've found I prefer both the HE-5LE and AKG K701 for classical with the K701 with plenty of power behind it being my preference. I don't know what it is with the LCD-2s but I find they just can't engage me with classical like I'd expect them to, they're great with just about every other genre but classical just loses me with every amp I've tried. With the Burson you already have a K701 would be a relatively inexpensive experiment or an HD800 if you want to step up the ladder.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 26
Indeed;  For a lot of violin concertos and overtures I use the T1.  Only for piano, cello and few other woodwinds I pull out the LCD2.  As for your original question, if you don't have a balanced source, the concerto goes well with the LCD2, but if you are balanced, then b22.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Thanks for the suggestion on trying a different headphone. Eventually I might just try that. Since I just got the LCD2's I'd rather stick with just those for awhile and try to make them work. What are some amps that would help me with that? 

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 26
It´s SPL that make the Auditor not PS audio. It´s a good match for the LCD-2 in the sense it´s rather neutral however it´s heavily biased for high impedance headphones in it´s power output. It did feel like the LCD-2 did suffocate a bit on it when I had it. Had the T1 to compare with where the Auditor impressed a lot more :)

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 26
Yikes - my error - yes you are right - I got confused with the letters....but yes - I tried the T1 with the Auditor too and really enjoyed the combination.

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 26
Muiscal Fidelity Xcanv3 or a different headphone.  Its the only amp I had heard that noticeably altered the LCD2 midrange for more upper mid bite.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 26
Are you assuming all classical lovers need or want more upper mid bite? Upper mid bite is what makes strings sound wiry and piercing, which is why I rejected the HD600 for the HD650 (and no doubt why Sennheiser designed the 650 as they did--they hint at it in their blurb). To me the balance of the LCD-2 is perfect for classical as is, and the OP's complaint "I think the bass is a little overwhelming and disconnected on classical music. The high's a tad recessed" is mild enough to be quite easily remedied by any number of small changes, including his becoming more acclimatized to the sound (after being perhaps accustomed to something less accurate?).

Don't want to upset anyone, but I think the suggestion he should abandon a very fine phone he's just paid $1000 for without exhausting every possibility is absurd.  

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Since you're considering the WA22 I assume you'll have a balanced input and balanced the LCD-2. If these added expenses put you over the top I'd suggest the WA2.

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html 

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 26
I preferred both the T1,HE6 and HE500 for classical over the T1. I ended up selling the LCD2,HE6 and HD800 and now own the T1 twice. My Decware CSP-2 is a great match. You may want to look at the CSP-2 and Taboo combo for the LCD2 best I heard it with and also gives you one amp for low impedance as I use the Tabooo and CSP-2 as my D7000 setup with the CSP-2 only for the T1 a perfect synergy and for Classical and Jazz cannot be beat IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back