What amp do you use if you have LCD2 and listen mostly to classical music?
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 26
No idea about the amp for LCD2 cuz I don't like my LCD2 with classic.
If you like classic ,why don't you try HD800 with cable,interconnect and power chord from SAA (the endorphin ).
just my 2cents
redface.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 26
Thanks for the response pp312. You pretty much hit it on the head. The changes I want to make to the LCD's sound is minor and subtle. I don't want more midrange bite. As a matter of fact it's the midrange on the LCD's that are the most liquid and wonderful even with classical music and exactly what I don't want to change. I will say that my reference is definitely more neutral than the LCD 2's. My main stereo rig is much more integrated across the entire sound spectrum and is more what I am looking for with the LCD2's. I have spent considerable time and money on my main rig and it sounds fantastic on classical music. I'm looking for the same liquid naturalness and integration from the LCD2's.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 26
Mayatlab,

I bought the LCD2's with the ALO audio Reference 8 - Copper cables. I know they make the ALO audio Reference 8 Silver/Copper which is supposed to have slightly more refined/prominent high's. I have considered trying them out several times. I have tried Steve Eddy's litz cables. While they have more refined and delicate high's than the ALO's the rest of the spectrum and especially the creation of space is limited. My expereince has shown that cables can make a small difference in sound with amplifiers bringing more profound changes. I think I need an amp for this change.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
Thanks for the response pp312. You pretty much hit it on the head. The changes I want to make to the LCD's sound is minor and subtle. I don't want more midrange bite. As a matter of fact it's the midrange on the LCD's that are the most liquid and wonderful even with classical music and exactly what I don't want to change. I will say that my reference is definitely more neutral than the LCD 2's. My main stereo rig is much more integrated across the entire sound spectrum and is more what I am looking for with the LCD2's. I have spent considerable time and money on my main rig and it sounds fantastic on classical music. I'm looking for the same liquid naturalness and integration from the LCD2's.

rmileswsk, when you say "much more integrated" I wonder what you mean? Most people would say the LC D-2 is very integrated (as are most good headphones, having only one driver and no crossover/time alignment problems). I'm just trying to understand better what you feel the LCD is lacking compared to your speaker rig. Of course you'll never get a real speaker experience from headphones; the best you can achieve is a similar balance, but general presentation and perspective will always be vastly different. Could this have something to do with your dissatisfaction?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 26
As I said in my original post. Compared to my speaker rig the LCD2's bass doesn't sound completely on the same page with the rest of the sound. The bass sounds slightly boomy and disconnected from the rest of the music. I have heard this clearly with double basses, lower cello notes, left hand piano etc. I don't hear it as prominently with rock/pop music. With classical it can be prominent depending on the source and music.  Certain lower notes seem to pop out of the soundstage in a unconvincing manner.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
As I said in my original post. Compared to my speaker rig the LCD2's bass doesn't sound completely on the same page with the rest of the sound. The bass sounds slightly boomy and disconnected from the rest of the music. I have heard this clearly with double basses, lower cello notes, left hand piano etc. I don't hear it as prominently with rock/pop music. With classical it can be prominent depending on the source and music.  Certain lower notes seem to pop out of the soundstage in a unconvincing manner.

Yes. That's strange indeed, as I found on moving to the LCD from HD650 that I missed the bass somewhat, that it was rather too reticent--though of course it only seemed so because it's so tight compared to the HD650. My opinion hasn't changed on that: I never hear bass unless the bass is there. I'd love to be able to help, but with our impressions so far apart it's hard to know where to starrt.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #25 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back