What Amp/ DAC you will take with Fostex TH-X00?
Jan 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #62 of 83
I'm very happy with the pairing.
In my (somewhat limited) experience these HPs scale really well with amplification, so it's worthwhile investing in a giid quality amp to drive them.
I also got some HE-400i planars, which are well regarded at the $, and while they edge out the TH-X00s on detail and soundstage the TH-X00s heve a fuller sound, and the bass is sublime with this amp.
The Elise is rated for 32 - 600z and the TH-X00s are only 25z, but Lukasz (Feliks) assured me they would work fine together - and they do.
One or two other ppl. on here have listened to the combo and thought it sounded surprisingly good. My son thinks it's the best he's ever heard.
My Elise took just under a month from order to delivery.

Hope this helps.

A MONTH for delivery? To US? Damn. Also didn't expect to be so pricey.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #63 of 83
Using Lycan/V5 Amp from Burson. Dac inside my android box:grin:. Could not use digital out for dac which presently occupied with my movie soundbar.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #64 of 83
Im powering them with my Schiit Jotunheim+DAC. I like high volume, and with high gain, I don't have to turn the volume knob past 12 o clock. This is very powerful and should be capable of driving high impedance should I go there in the future.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #65 of 83

I'm very happy with the pairing.
In my (somewhat limited) experience these HPs scale really well with amplification, so it's worthwhile investing in a giid quality amp to drive them.
I also got some HE-400i planars, which are well regarded at the $, and while they edge out the TH-X00s on detail and soundstage the TH-X00s heve a fuller sound, and the bass is sublime with this amp.
The Elise is rated for 32 - 600z and the TH-X00s are only 25z, but Lukasz (Feliks) assured me they would work fine together - and they do.
One or two other ppl. on here have listened to the combo and thought it sounded surprisingly good. My son thinks it's the best he's ever heard.
My Elise took just under a month from order to delivery.

Hope this helps.

A MONTH for delivery? To US? Damn. Also didn't expect to be so pricey.

The amp had to be manufactured, then posted, to Australia. I think Feliks may be slightly in front on their Elise orders now and are getting them sent sooner.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #66 of 83
I use the Modi Multibit with the JDS Labs Element and iFi iCAN Micro with my Purplehearts and I've been pleased with both pairings. I mainly use the iCAN when I'm looking to crank the bass and satisfy my inner basshead.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #67 of 83
Schiit mimby + ifi ican. XBass and 3D holographic switches on the ican, and the holographic abd smooth nature if the multibit make a really nice combination.

The ican switches are super effective at tuning on the fly for various genres.

Example 1. With xbass light and 3d max, the mids are brought forward. Really nice for classical, jazz, and female vocals.

Example 2. Xbass max and 3d max are killer for games and movies. Battlefield 1 audio is particularly insane with subbass eq maxed out and xbass max....gotta take it easy though. I've had a headache and fatigued ears for two days now...over did it on Wednesday and hope I'll be feeling better tomorrow. :frowning2:

Example 3. Xbass and 3d both turned off for piano. Pretty neutral, very musical.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #68 of 83
  I originally voted for Grace Design m9xx as the best amplifier I've heard thus far with the TH-X00. But if someone asked me for a warm choice, I would say JDS Labs The Element - plus it's a similarly nice design as the m9xx.

Thanks for the info. I missed the m9xx drop. I've been looking at the JDS and Schiit products, but prefer a warm sound.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #69 of 83

Thanks for the info. I missed the m9xx drop. I've been looking at the JDS and Schiit products, but prefer a warm sound.

When I had the TH-X00's, I tried them on multiple HP amps. They actually sounded best (to me, at least) on the least powerful of the amps I tried, the Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 headphone amp/preamp. It has a distinctly warm, "friendly" sound, which those headphones definitely needed. I got far better bass on the Lake People G-109A and Burson Soloist amp/preamp, the treble on the HPA-1 was the best of the 3...

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #71 of 83
Just recieved my set of thx00's this week. Currently running out of a fiio e10k. $500 for the grace mxx seems a bit much, would it be worth the upgrade to the schiit stack or 02/odac?

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #72 of 83
Just recieved my set of thx00's this week. Currently running out of a fiio e10k. $500 for the grace mxx seems a bit much, would it be worth the upgrade to the schiit stack or 02/odac?

I'd be looking for a used ifi idsd. Or maybe a new standard one (not black label) since they've been been discounted recently. Maybe $250-$350 and the xbass and 3d switches really bring the x00 to life. Especially if you'very got some basshead in you. 4000 mW, xbass, and eq can bring some serious bass on board if you want it. If not, the sound quality, hardware tuning, and features will still be awesome and transportable.

Feb 4, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #73 of 83
I'd be looking for a used ifi idsd. Or maybe a new standard one (not black label) since they've been been discounted recently. Maybe $250-$350 and the xbass and 3d switches really bring the x00 to life. Especially if you'very got some basshead in you. 4000 mW, xbass, and eq can bring some serious bass on board if you want it. If not, the sound quality, hardware tuning, and features will still be awesome and transportable.

I have to agree. I had TH-X00's and started out driving them with my FiiO E10k. Not a great match, though I'm very fond of the E10k (it has sounded surprisingly good w/other headphones).

I had the iFi headphone amp (not DAC--I had a separate). Didn't use that w/the TH-X00's, but did use it with other headphonesand found it be a very flexible, composed, neutral device. It probably won't bring out the tendency of the TH-X00's to sound a little peaky/bright (some really like that characteristic...I did not). I'm guessing the quality & amount of power from the iFi headamp would control the TH-X00's well and help get good sound from them.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #74 of 83
I have to agree. I had TH-X00's and started out driving them with my FiiO E10k. Not a great match, though I'm very fond of the E10k (it has sounded surprisingly good w/other headphones).

I had the iFi headphone amp (not DAC--I had a separate). Didn't use that w/the TH-X00's, but did use it with other headphonesand found it be a very flexible, composed, neutral device. It probably won't bring out the tendency of the TH-X00's to sound a little peaky/bright (some really like that characteristic...I did not). I'm guessing the quality & amount of power from the iFi headamp would control the TH-X00's well and help get good sound from them.

Yeah I use a mimby and ican to my x00 abd it's really top notch. (But out of op budget). Definitely not too peaky/bright. I'm really sensitive to peaky treble and am rarely bothered by any sibilance with this combo. It's pretty smooth, resolving, engaging, holographic etc. Really happy with the 6 tuning options on the ican. You can do some really cool things with it sing-to-song. For example, I've found that low xbass and high 3d brings the mids forward and works fantastic for female vocals and strings in particular. Most of the time I just roll with max xbass and max 3d for a bit more of a v-shaped signature which I find is very fun to listen to.

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #75 of 83
Yeah I use a mimby and ican to my x00 abd it's really top notch. (But out of op budget). Definitely not too peaky/bright. I'm really sensitive to peaky treble and am rarely bothered by any sibilance with this combo. It's pretty smooth, resolving, engaging, holographic etc. Really happy with the 6 tuning options on the ican. You can do some really cool things with it sing-to-song. For example, I've found that low xbass and high 3d brings the mids forward and works fantastic for female vocals and strings in particular. Most of the time I just roll with max xbass and max 3d for a bit more of a v-shaped signature which I find is very fun to listen to.

Max XBass on TH-X00's? Hardcore!

I love bass. Those HPs had bass to spare...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back