What Amp/ DAC you will take with Fostex TH-X00?
Dec 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 83
I have previously used the JDS Labs The Element (essentially an O2+ODAC with a slightly enhanced amplifier section) with my Denon AH-D2000 headphones. I really liked it, but I now consider the Grace Design m9XX a significant upgrade. I would still consider JDS Labs product offerings to be quite a good bargain solution for the Fostex TH-X00 headphone.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 83
  I have previously used the JDS Labs The Element (essentially an O2+ODAC with a slightly enhanced amplifier section) with my Denon AH-D2000 headphones. I really liked it, but I now consider the Grace Design m9XX a significant upgrade. I would still consider JDS Labs product offerings to be quite a good bargain solution for the Fostex TH-X00 headphone.

I was actually trying to decide on either the O2+ODAC  or the m9xx.   i missed the m9xx drop that I just saw  but I still have the option to get the mass drop version of the O2+ODAC.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 83

I was actually trying to decide on either the O2+ODAC  or the m9xx.   i missed the m9xx drop that I just saw  but I still have the option to get the mass drop version of the O2+ODAC.

If the price of the m9XX is not "outlandish" I would wait. It is SO GOOD with the new Fostex TH-X00 headphone. I've been busy with work, and this is my first chance to really sit down and listen. And I'm honestly having trouble pulling myself away - you know, to listen to better stuff like HE-1000 and Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Yes, those things are better, but the combination of TH-X00 and m9XX is just so dang balanced, and effortless. It has been providing me listening pleasure for hours on end.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 83
  If the price of the m9XX is not "outlandish" I would wait. It is SO GOOD with the new Fostex TH-X00 headphone. I've been busy with work, and this is my first chance to really sit down and listen. And I'm honestly having trouble pulling myself away - you know, to listen to better stuff like HE-1000 and Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Yes, those things are better, but the combination of TH-X00 and m9XX is just so dang balanced, and effortless. It has been providing me listening pleasure for hours on end.

i was just reading someones review on here about the M9XX can not power higher end HP's that are around600 ohms or higher.   is that true?

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 83

i was just reading someones review on here about the M9XX can not power higher end HP's that are around600 ohms or higher.   is that true?

I'll have to take their word for it - probably true, in a sense that you just would not want to use the m9XX directly on high impedance headphones.

I was at a meet yesterday, where a few people had 300 ohm headphones. I had a 30 ohm headphone. The m9XX was available for direct use as an amplifier, and connected as a DAC to an external amplifier. I noticed hardly any difference the m9XX versus the external amplifier. The persons with the higher impedance cans noticed considerable difference in going from the m9XX to the external amplifier. But that's just it - the m9XX is also a good DAC, for future upgradability.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 83
  I'll have to take their word for it - probably true, in a sense that you just would not want to use the m9XX directly on high impedance headphones.

I was at a meet yesterday, where a few people had 300 ohm headphones. I had a 30 ohm headphone. The m9XX was available for direct use as an amplifier, and connected as a DAC to an external amplifier. I noticed hardly any difference the m9XX versus the external amplifier. The persons with the higher impedance cans noticed considerable difference in going from the m9XX to the external amplifier. But that's just it - the m9XX is also a good DAC, for future upgradability.

Good to hear the M9XX does well as a low powered amp, driving power hungry headphones can be pricy. Personally I went with a Balanced Amp to keep costs some what down an transparency up

Currently I use my TH X00 with my NFB10ES2 

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 83

cool thanks,  I don't have any headphones over 250 ohm.

so i am stuck with getting the Massdrop O2+ODAC for 199 and a pair of Philips X2's  or just the mass drop Grace m9xx when it comes back around

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 83
  Good to hear the M9XX does well as a low powered amp, driving power hungry headphones can be pricy. Personally I went with a Balanced Amp to keep costs some what down an transparency up

Currently I use my TH X00 with my NFB10ES2 

I get a little confused with their lineup - one person could not make the meet yesterday. He has the NFB-10.33. So I'll get to hear that at the next meet in February with the Fostex. I've heard it on a lot of other headphones, and it seems to drive them well. If it's similar, I highly regard it too!

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 83
  I get a little confused with their lineup - one person could not make the meet yesterday. He has the NFB-10.33. So I'll get to hear that at the next meet in February with the Fostex. 

Yea... KingWa's line up is numbered... interestingly a higher number doesn't really mean anything sadly 

Your best bet is to identify his units by price, mine was around $600, an imo for a fully balanced Dac/Amp it's WELL worth every penny. But the SE out of the NFB10ES2 sounds pretty bad <.< that said even with my TH X00 running out of that side it still sounds amazing! It'll REALLY impress me once I recable it for 4pin XLR balanced 

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 83
Worth pay for schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost Standart 750€ for Fostex TH-X00?

I have not heard this, so please take with a grain of salt - yes!

::

Asgard 2 is supposed to be an upgrade, say above the Magni 2 level. Understandably, this upgrade is a little difficult to see on paper looking strictly at the specs. But let's just go with it - I have heard the Valhalla/Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2, both of which were upgrades. Also as I said in an earlier post, people at a meet this past weekend were able to compare a couple of amplifiers against m9XX at the $150 - $250 range. They basically said for the harder to drive headphones, there was improvement by upgrading to either Corda Rock or Magni 2 Uber, as an external amplifier fed by the m9XX. Asgard 2 - yes!

I would also surmise that Bifrost 4490 implementation would be at or around the same quality level as the m9XX in that they both use the same DAC chip, and I trust both manufacturers to have well thought out and implemented DAC boxes. I have personal experience with the Bifrost Uber, Bifrost Multibit, and other DAC higher in the Schiit lineup. I liked them all! Bifrost 4490 - yes!

Bifrost 4490 will be future upgradable, and Asgard 2 is already an upgrade to my recommended solution - m9XX. So you're looking at a solution that is likely already one step above the m9XX today, and for years to come.

::

TL;DR - yes! Worth the cost for Asgard 2/Bifrost 4490 - a good solution for the TH-X00, and likely many other headphones to come!

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 83
If I had the said headphones or if i was getting them. they would be used with my current Gustard X12 dac and Gustard H10 amp and maybe with the burson lycan amp too. Like  I said that if I was eyeing them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back