What amp are you HD650 guys using?
May 1, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #33 of 212
Like many others I'm running a PPA. Mine is a V2 with on board diamond buffers, OPA627BPs, gain of 8, stepped attenuator and using a modified Jung Super Regulator for the power supply. Granted I have HD600s but I think the setup translates just fine.

I've also used a Millett-Hybrid w/ my Senns, but it's not nearly as good as the PPA.

Nate

May 1, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #34 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbamc119
Contemplating a dynahi build. To those that use a dynahi with the hd650 what are the differences compared to say a PPA?

Funny you should ask, I just recently upgraded from PPA to Dynahi
smily_headphones1.gif
I can honestly say that the Dynahi is the better amp, both with Senns, Grados & Etys. The PPA (with 8610s) was energetic & powered the 650 nicely, but the Dynahi takes them to a new level. Everything sounds much clearer, and the "veil" is lessened. I was always swapping opamps in the PPA to get my desired sound with different headphones, not so with the Dynahi (both because the Dynahi is discrete class A, and because it sounds great with everything!). It's still too early to give a more in depth comparison though.

May 1, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #35 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Funny you should ask, I just recently upgraded from PPA to Dynahi
smily_headphones1.gif
I can honestly say that the Dynahi is the better amp, both with Senns, Grados & Etys. The PPA (with 8610s) was energetic & powered the 650 nicely, but the Dynahi takes them to a new level. Everything sounds much clearer, and the "veil" is lessened.

Haven't compared Dynahi to a PPA, but I can second the "clear" adjective on the Dynahi. If I had to choose words to describe the Dynahi: clean & clear, full, natural, and effortless.

May 1, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 212
PPAv2 with opa627s and a STEPS power suppply. Haven't tried it with other op-amps yet, but I like it a lot as it is and I'm not sure I need any more "in your face" sound.

May 1, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #41 of 212
Creek OBH-11 with AD825 op-amps, searching for a OBH-11SE, I have plans for some extream mods on that puppy!

Also Gary's PA2V2 Rocks big time with the 650's but it will run out of steam on some very heavy bass tunes.

May 1, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #42 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I still recommend an M^3. You can find a brighter opamp to tune the sound a bit, and can also consider a silver cable for your Senns. The M^3 gives the most amazing bang for buck and I'm slightly regretting selling mine already.

The M^3 paired very well with a friend's 600/650 cable and my 650/Oehlbach but I found the 650/Zu to be sibilant with the M^3. Opamp rolling couldn't eliminate the issue for me. Since I preferred the Zu to the Oehlbach with the PPA v2 and the Millett Hybrid, I found myself using the PPA and Millett and decided to part with the Oehlbach and the M^3.

I find the PPA v2 (637/627) + STEPS, paired with a source on the warm side like my Denon, to be a great fit with my 650/Zu.

May 2, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #43 of 212
I've been greatly enjoying my HD-650 with a Dynalo.

What I'm really looking forward to is finishing off the Dynamite in a couple months and running the HD-650 balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back