What age did you start drinking?
Jul 7, 2008 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
I've seen plenty of threads about all kinds of alcohol here and stuff like that, so it just got me thinking.

Now let me first say I have nothing against drinkers and those who drink. I'm not against it, not for it...really don't have an opinion about it too much.

Anyway, I'm going to be at Towson University in the fall (not by choice but that's a different story) and Towson has a reputation as a hell of a party school. The thing is I don't drink. I'm 18. I mean, I've had a many a glass of wine for religious reasons and a sip of vodka once. The vodka made my chest feel like it was on fire, but the wine has traditionally been a good experience. never had anything else.

so my question to you, head-fi, when did you start drinking? on top of that, how much do you drink now?

and for those of lesser English aptitude, i'm talking about alcohol, not liquids in general.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 86
13 or 14. I don't really remember. The group of family friends I grew up with is pretty permissive with alcohol. No one much cared if we snuck off with drinks. No one drove, no one is a "bad" drunk in the group, and, frankly, we've had some good times over the years.

As long as I'm confessing, I used a fraternity brother's old ID in undergrad. He was over 21 and the photo looked frighteningly like me, so he let me have it. So I've been buying alcohol since 19 or so. Drank more than I should have through undergrad and the doctor told me to knock it off - my blood pressure was on the high side. I knocked it off and went down to 110/70, and it's stayed there.

Partied occasionally through grad school, but not that much. Eventually, got to only drinking once a month or so. Had an awful accident with a drunk in 2003, and have nearly quit since. Maybe two drinks on holidays or a glass of wine out at dinner, but not more. Also fits with the "drink no calories" routine I've started. Mostly water, coffee and tea with an occasional fruit juice or milk.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 86
Well, considering my dad is allergic to alcohol, and my throat tightens up immediately when I have a whiff of that hand sanitizer stuff, I'd reckon I'm allergic to alcohol too, which I believe is a blessing.
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 86
14-15 if I am not wrong.
As of now I drink some 3-4 beers a week. Yummy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 86
had my first real taste of alcohol last summer at my cousin's open bar wedding

tried a couple mixed drinks and thought some of em tasted like cough medicine

but i did enjoy some beers while i was in asia

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 86
I tried beer (and probably some Scotch) at a young age. I didn't start actively drinking until I was about 15 or 16. I rarely drink at home, but I do when I go out to a pub or club with friends. I'm not much of a drinker, to be honest, but I'm starting to experiment with beer.

Goodbye Liver, nice knowing ya!

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 86
The first time I drank to get hammered I was...16?

Now we drink a lot at school and we drink HARD. It's just one of those things that happens in college, whatever school you go to. And trust me, when it comes to college, if you don't drink now, I'll be pretty surprised if you don't come back a regular in a couple semesters
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 86
i didnt really start drinking until college. none of my friends drank, not because we were against it, we just didnt do it. id had a beer or so with family or a glass of wine before that, but the first time i got really drunk was 19, im 22 now, still in college and i drink fairly heavily on weekends. its part of the cycle

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone starts around the same age -- early to mid teens, peak in college, and then mellow out afterwards.

Unless of course you go to Europe.
wink.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 86
Had mt first honest drink of alcohol at 22. I was at a Japanese restaurant and thought, "Hey, why not have some sake with my udon?". It was a small serving, maybe 8 oz. but I definitely got a little tipsy. Now I drink maybe once or twice a week and developed a liking for Guinness stout

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 86
I had my first taste of alcool probably around 14 at home, tasting wine.

I started drinking at 15 or 16. College was probably the peak, specially the last semester when I lived in Florida.

I'm 23 now and I enjoy a glass of wine or two when I eat out. I drink gin and vodka once in a while if in a party!

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 86
First time I drank I was 16. The finnish drinking culture is VERY different from the american. A lot of teens start drinking at around 14, and finnish drinking is almost always heavy. The legal age here is 18.

I'm 20 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back