What a news! Sennheiser Orpheus II ?!
Apr 3, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

They might just have this in the works also.

Let's keep in mind that at this point, the Orpheus II is just a rumor. I'd like to see it, but with something like the Orpheus, I have my doubts.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 75
i agree with markl, with the proliferation of the new diy electrostatic amps sennheiser would be well served to make the headphones compatible with other amps as well as with their own amp, but if history has anything to do with it sennheiser will want to corner the market on the headphone and make it dependant on their amp, i never said marketing was always smart.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 75
if it'll have to retail for 20 large, i say let them do it. i think it'd be more for bragging rights and something to lust after rather than them actually trying to turn a profit off of it.

i for one hope the rumor's true and i hope it'll be ridiculous. and hopefully they keep the thing where you need a key to turn it on.
600smile.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 75
In my experience, flagship models arent really the best you can get for the money. By "Flagship" i mean top of the line products which have tremendous price tags and similar lower models selling for several times less. I have a theory that many of these products were made only for the reason of increasing consumer quality perception. For example, R10's made to sell CD3000's, nautilus made to sell 801's and 802's.

It also seems to me that certian flagships models were made exclusively to impress people in short listening periods to improve their reputation, and install more buyer confidence which increases sales of their lower models. Its almost as though they were made to be unattainable and only glanced or listened to briefly at trade shows.

There are some things without such large price gaps, like revel speakers, stax headphones, rowland amps.etc. These are also the products who's top line stuff tends to sound better, since it was actually made to sell and be competitive in an open market.

You can throw around terms like "filter down technology" all you want. It might even be true. However, in end i'll listen then keep whatever performs the best.

Allright, thats enough business school nonsense for one post.

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
There's no need for wallets for cash since you'd use credit cards
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I highly recommend you don't put $12k+ on a credit card unless you are going to pay it off the same month...

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #22 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
In my experience, flagship models arent really the best you can get for the money. By "Flagship" i mean top of the line products which have tremendous price tags and similar lower models selling for several times less. I have a theory that many of these products were made only for the reason of increasing consumer quality perception. For example, R10's made to sell CD3000's, nautilus made to sell 801's and 802's.

It also seems to me that certian flagships models were made exclusively to impress people in short listening periods to improve their reputation, and install more buyer confidence which increases sales of their lower models. Its almost as though they were made to be unattainable and only glanced or listened to briefly at trade shows.

There are some things without such large price gaps, like revel speakers, stax headphones, rowland amps.etc. These are also the products who's top line stuff tends to sound better, since it was actually made to sell and be competitive in an open market.

You can throw around terms like "filter down technology" all you want. It might even be true. However, in end i'll listen then keep whatever performs the best.

Allright, thats enough business school nonsense for one post.

While that may be true to some degree, it seems more logical to me that they would just use it as almost a design excercise. "Screw the money, lets just see what our guys can do."

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
I highly recommend you don't put $12k+ on a credit card unless you are going to pay it off the same month...

Well assuming your credit line is more than that and you have no issues buying such a item, it's doable
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #24 of 75
Tube output DAC , triode headphone amp ,electrostsic cans

Nope.
I have the origional schematics on this item.
The dac was a standard dac with opamp outputs.
The front end of the amplifier itself was triodes, but
the output section was tetrodes.
tube complement 1 x ecl83 and 2 x ecl86 per channel.

Everyone that ever listened to the dac section said it
was miserable at best.

The orpheus headphones sound much better on
other amplifiers.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #25 of 75
The analogy also extends to racing.

Many automotive companies use racing as a promotional tool along with being a proving ground for new technology. Technology that would be wholly impractical and too expensive to sell in the consumer market. (well, not to mention not street legal in most cases). Honda had very early on pushed the idea of using concepts used for racing to be applied to production vehicles. And it is that philosophy that has propelled them to be a market leader. Spending money upfront on R&D is good for the long term of the company. Far too many companies these days (not only car companies) focus on "me too" marketing. The companies are driven by marketing and not design and engineering. Say all you want about Sennheiser, I guarantee you that marketing did not push for the Orpheus or the new possible Orpheus II. They are more concerned about the possible immediate seasonal sales figures and what color it will be.
rolleyes.gif

Marketing has no place in design and engineering, and I've seen it put many companies down the sh1tter.

But the pushing the envelope is what creates true innovation. And much of that technology trickles down to mass production level products with far more bang for the buck. But the fact of the matter is, that they would not exist without the "flagship" models. Compare this to companies that have a "flagship" model that is simply more of a collector's item rather than an innovative product.

It is a shame that many companies have simply discontinued or put a halt to advancing headphone technology (coughSonycough), and would rather keep selling their "glory days" headphones rather than push the envelope. While this makes for collectors drool uncontrollably, it jsut drives the prices up.
Of course, we never know if they are secretly working on something. (we need our Head-fi moles to be in more places.)

But bravo to Sennheiser if they are release a new flagship model.

-Ed

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #26 of 75
I stand corrected kevin

It IS a pretty beast though !

Where would you place the headphones on a comparison scale with the stax offerings ?

Or is it an entirely different sound ?

I heard the orpheus briefly and on that same day the omegas and what i remember was the senn system was very smooth but maybe a bit soft on top while the stax was extended in the highs but leaning towards bright

total opposites in sound but i did not have the time to do enough listening to decide which approach was more "right "

Also , on a more personal note ,i wish there were more brown tone headphones available

I liked the Grado RS-1 much better with the brown leather headband and the Orpheus cans are also very attractive in brown

Other than wood cups there is no brown !

silver,black,gray

boring man

yeah , there are blue and red cans but they look like kiddie toys to me ,not like serious audio equiupment at all

Brown has a soothing look,one that if done right screams hi end and luxurious living (did i just say luxurious ? DOH ! Twice !).

or maybe I am just weird

don't answer that

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #27 of 75
I'm not a big fan of brown leather, unless it's more of a dark reddish brown. The Omega II's sh1t brown color is not my favorite color.

Although I hear that the newer Omega II's will have black leather......

And where is the Omega III?

-Ed

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 75
are you going by the photos online or have you seen the orpheus in person ?

Totally different , the pics do not do justice dude

IN fact the pics of the system do not do justice . It is very attractive when on in an elegant but understated kind of way

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #29 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer

I think this is the purpose Sennheiser making the new system,
and I agree with you--that what I wish to say.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back