What a news! Sennheiser Orpheus II ?!
Apr 3, 2004 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

zcx

100+ Head-Fier
As I heard from a dealer of Sennheiser, there wiil be a new electrostatic system replace the Orpheus which maybe calld " Orpheus-2" or something like that.

Sennheiser are now doing there research on this system, and perhaps we'll soon find it on the market?!
eek.gif

As for the price of the new system, I do not know,
frown.gif

may be US$20000 or more?!?!
(***** price, isn't it!)
mad.gif

anyway, the purpose of this tread is: can anyone give me an answer if this is true or not!

For me, I am not sure it is a good new or bad new, however, I am in a dilemma now!
frown.gif

Felix.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 75
*If* it's true, they would be smart to keep the price a lot lower than the original. If they learned anything from the Orpheus, it's that not many people will bite at $12K.

They should also count on selling the headset separately in larger quantities for the guys with their custom electrostatic amps.

If anyone here knows about any such rumors it's probably Tyll from Headroom, but they're probably under non-disclosure of any info like that. I'm sure Sennheiser wants to choose its own time and place for announcement. Besides, if they're only "in the research phase" it could be a few years even before we see it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 75
with reason!!

I agree,
but I am still one of the hifier who wish to know the fact.
cool.gif

BTW, if it is true, I think the Orpheus II would be worth a shot.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 75
There's no need for wallets for cash since you'd use credit cards
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 75
quote from markl:*If* it's true, they would be smart to keep the price a lot lower than the original. If they learned anything from the Orpheus, it's that not many people will bite at $12K.

theoretically speaking I think Sennheiser should do that as you said, but I do think they won't(only IMO).
Because, for lots of us, lower price not does not mean upgrade.
If the OrpheusII costs US$5000-7000, something like that, most of us would think this is just another good system, but not as goog as the Orpheus, mybe somebody will give the mini name called " baby orpheus II, baby orpheus-brother"! But, based on my thread, the OrpheusII is the one who will replace the Orpheus.
it is not the one who will replace baby orpheus. so, if Sennheiser give us the OrpheusII with lower price than the Orpheus, not so many body will think this new system can beat the Orpheus.

Let's have a look at the real meaning of Orpheus-- it is the one, the one who can never beat by other headphone(sounds, price, etc~), the reason Sennheiser product the Orpheus is to show their skills, they want everybody know they have the best skill in headfi-world, at least they have the best headphone in the world.
They never count on earning a lot of money from selling Orpheus---they absolutely understand that they won't get such a lot of profit from Orpheus as good as HD600 do. The only reason they selling Orpheus with such high price and made it as a limit edition is to show--show how good they are.
So, if there is another system which will replace the current Orpheus, the price of it will be high than Orpheus'. They do not expect the new Orpheus bring them profit, they want the new one do the same thing as the old one do-----show themselves.
And of course the price will be more higher than the old one---at least, the price won't be lower.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 75
12K seems like a lot of loot until you think about the system

which is what the original was

Tube output DAC , triode headphone amp ,electrostsic cans

Look at what Stax fans are willing to pay for the omegas without an amp , then add the cost of the amp and throw in dac prices and really not too far from the mark

having said that now way i spend that much for anything that i can not drive
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 75
zcx, like you say i think it depends on what their goals might be for the system. If it's just to have a show piece, where they only make a dozen or so like they did the original Orpheus, then maybe it would be same price or more. Baby Orpheus what what like $1200 new? (I forget). A $5K Orpheus 2 competitor to the Stax Omega 2 system makes much more sense to me. If you're going to go to the trouble of investing all the time and energy in making a new electrostatic headphone, seems to me you could attract a lot more buyers at a $5K price point than $15K. Those development costs are sunk costs. Off the top of my head, I could conceive you'd sell a few hundred $5-$7K systems or you can sell 20-30 $15K systems over the lifetime of the product. You'd get your flagship into more hands, make it accessible to more people, have a bigger impact.
Quote:

12K seems like a lot of loot until you think about the system

OTOH, they could simply remove the DAC which is really unnecessary (like I'd go to Sennheiser for my multi-buck DAC in the first place), and save some $$ there. Still, Rick, I think you'll have a hard sell trying to convince people that $12K is a bargain.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 75
The big question in my mind is will they sell the headphones separately.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by zcx

Let's have a look at the real meaning of Orpheus-- it is the one, the one who can never beat by other headphone(sounds, price, etc~), the reason Sennheiser product the Orpheus is to show their skills, they want everybody know they have the best skill in headfi-world, at least they have the best headphone in the world.
They never count on earning a lot of money from selling Orpheus---they absolutely understand that they won't get such a lot of profit from Orpheus as good as HD600 do. The only reason they selling Orpheus with such high price and made it as a limit edition is to show--show how good they are.
wink.gif

Good as the new Orpheus may be, the real reason may be just marketing (as with any "statement" product). However, I AM curious.

Regards,

L.

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Still, Rick, I think you'll have a hard sell trying to convince people that $12K is a bargain.

At the HE 01 show in NY Headroom sold THREE !!!! (at least that is the amount i remeber)

And 2 were to the same guy !!
eek.gif

The same people that will spend $20K for an amp and $50K for speakers will also not blink at the cost for this

Flagship models are usually limited edition anyway

But i agree on the point that if you want wide exposure and large sales you need to drop the price to "expensive but not crazy expensive"

Did any of you folks ever see the Orpheus in person ?

BEAUTIFUL !

the metal and woodwork probably has a smuch to do with the cost as the electronics

the same thing in a black box would be cheaper but then it would not be eye grabbing.

When my wife seen the Orpheus all lit up and then listened her first response was "buy it for me" !

when i told her the price she responded "you do and you walk home"

wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 75
I dont see why Sennheiser would issue another ultra expensive headphone set and not just put out a direct competitor to the Omega IIs like a baby O II which more people will actually buy.

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
I dont see why Sennheiser would issue another ultra expensive headphone set and not just put out a direct competitor to the Omega IIs like a baby O II which more people will actually buy.

Give 'em time. They might just have this in the works also. (I hope)

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 75
I think it's great that Sennheiser would go and release a true flagship model.

It's a hallmark that really distinguishes a company. Even though it is not aimed at the masses, the R&D that goes into the new product hopefully trickles down to more production oriented products. It's how a company should aim when they innovate.

Make the "sky's the limit" product, and then try to make it more affordable. Take B&W, for instance. Without the development of the original $40,000 Nautilus speakers, the entire production line would not exist today.

The Sony CD3000 is a direct result of the R&D that went into making the R10.

But alas, Sony and many others are taking a step back when it comes to future headphone development. While companies like Sennheiser step up to the challenge.

And money flys out of our wallets as a result.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back