What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 28, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #13,726 of 14,566
AFAIK, no player but the OPPO does this one thing (which I do fairly often):
rip a disc with makemkv to a backup.
Play it over the network. With menus and extras etc.

That can't be done over DLNA. DLNA is terrible for all but the simplest of uses.

I have never gotten Plex or Emby to work on any of my computers, high end server hardware or not. Dunno why. I'm trying JellyFin now. Causing just as much trouble. Well, they all "work" if one doesn't mind the video stuttering every so often. Maybe it's because I need subtitles always?
How do you rip the disk from the Oppo to makemkv?

Cheers

May 28, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #13,727 of 14,566
As someone who used to be paid a nice salary for doing nothing but taking measurements (and then thinking to myself, "this thing exceeds all the measurement criteria and I can check the box to certify it, but why does it sound like crap?") I wish I could like Mikes post about 10^4 times.
So was that THX or MQA? :D

May 28, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #13,730 of 14,566
As someone who used to be paid a nice salary for doing nothing but taking measurements (and then thinking to myself, "this thing exceeds all the measurement criteria and I can check the box to certify it, but why does it sound like crap?") I wish I could like Mikes post about 10^4 times.

I have a theory. (Actually, I have many-many, but one that's relevant here.)

I believe that many people who push hard for the +/- "science of hard numbers" are fundamentally unwilling to be accountable to themselves for making judgments and decisions. Relying entirely on numbers ... not only other people's data, but also other people's opinions about what numbers are meaningful and useful ... avoids self-accountability.

* example 1 - I listened to some gear, I liked it, I bought it. Later on, I realized I really didn't like it so much. Mr Id says: "Ouch! That hurts."

* example 2 - I read some reviews and opinions, and based on those I bought something, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Mr Id says: "Ouch! That hurts."

* example 3 - I studied a bunch of quant reviews and graphs. Based on some mental scorecard synthesizing the numbers, I bought something, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Mr Id says: "NOT MY FAULT!!! NOT MY FAULT!!!"

As granddad might have said, "Toughen up, snowflake."

For most of us, audio is not life & death, it's just a hobby. We can sell off gear that doesn't make us as happy as we expected, learn from the experience, and keep moving towards that elusive Happy Place of the end-game system that works for us. But we learn faster when we have self-awareness that the decision process is ALWAYS subjective, based on incomplete information, and that we personally own it, whether the outcome is great, okay, or not good.

[/end_Friday_free_mini-lecture]

To get back on topic .... I've been thinking, we haven't had anything on hovercraft for quite a while.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #13,731 of 14,566
How do you rip the disk from the Oppo to makemkv?

Cheers
I use other drives for ripping. There's a Mac app I use called MakeMKV (windows, too, probably).
Load the disc onto the Mac, hit the Backup option and (here's the obscure part) wave a magic app over the result.

May 28, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #13,732 of 14,566
I use other drives for ripping. There's a Mac app I use called MakeMKV (windows, too, probably).
Load the disc onto the Mac, hit the Backup option and (here's the obscure part) wave a magic app over the result.
Ok, that's exactly what I do. I thought I was missing magic new way........

May 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #13,735 of 14,566
Selective/Incomplete Science:

Attachments

• Miscscience-DDTisgoodforme.jpg
    Miscscience-DDTisgoodforme.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 428064_249667805166584_1437359407_n.jpg
    428064_249667805166584_1437359407_n.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #13,736 of 14,566
All things change with time.

May 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #13,738 of 14,566
My wife remembers the DDT truck would drive down the street and the kids would come out of the houses to be dusted down. (This was overseas)
Yup, gotta ride your bike through the cloud. Why are we still alive?

May 28, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #13,739 of 14,566
My wife remembers the DDT truck would drive down the street and the kids would come out of the houses to be dusted down. (This was overseas)
I remember clouds of pesticides (I think) at camp (not overseas). When was DDT banned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back