What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #13,306 of 14,566
Fiedler was conductor of the Boston Pops, not the Boston Symphony. The Pops is most of the Boston Symphony players, except that the first chair players are not in the Pops. BSO and Pops recordings have been released as CDs, SACDs, and new vinyl. Many of the BSO/Pops recordings were produced for RCA by Richard Mohr, and engineered by Lewis Layton, and are superb examples of classical orchestra recordings.
Why aren't the first chairs in the pops? To allow the others to shine, or to allow them to attend to first chair duties w/e that might be?

$1000 Canadian, right? Maybe $800~ USD. :smiley_cat:
Aussie would make it closer to $780 usd since we're barganing in the lot.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #13,307 of 14,566
Why aren't the first chairs in the pops? To allow the others to shine, or to allow them to attend to first chair duties w/e that might be?

Aussie would make it closer to $780 usd since we're barganing in the lot.
Tradition and other obligations. Most first chair players are active in teaching seminars, summer festivals, etc.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #13,308 of 14,566
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #13,311 of 14,566
A lot, I haven't ramped up to the same amount yet but several coworkers have been in 7 1/2 hours of meetings a day multiple days this week and that is normal for now and the foreseeable future.
That sounds like hell on Earth! BTW, you don't strike me as a typical dude from South Alabama ... are you a transplant?
If you're looking for a premium closed HP, my buddy @whirlwind speaks highly of the ZMF Verite closed cans. They're a bit pricey ... maybe an aspiration. :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #13,312 of 14,566
Bearer of bad news and all that... Jason stated the target price is $1299 US: Jason learns digital! at about 0:11:30.
This Transport (and the upgrade of my Yggdrasil to the new USB) would probably be the last step up in quality I can make.
The analogue stuff is all on it's max.
Oh and a new Yggdrasil would also be on the list if it ever got upgraded.
No haste there @Baldr, Take your time to make only beautiful things.
Living under (always self induced) stress is not from this time.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #13,313 of 14,566
That sounds like hell on Earth! BTW, you don't strike me as a typical dude from South Alabama ... are you a transplant?
If you're looking for a premium closed HP, my buddy @whirlwind speaks highly of the ZMF Verite closed cans. They're a bit pricey ... maybe an aspiration. :)
Yes, I am a Yankee transplant who has lived most of their life in the south.

Ended up just going Hel, Modmic, and DT 770 "Pro" 32 ohm, does what I need and was cost effective.

snip - except to say that I find metal filters leave too much sediment in the cup for me. snip
I can say it has been a little over a week now, and either a) I am grinding too course for "proper" coffee, but no sediment with the filter I am using, thankfully.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #13,316 of 14,566
I'm looking for a pair of closed cans, single entry cable, and in the same price range as the DT 770. Do those have a detachable cable?

Audio Technica ATH-M series have single entry detachable cables. The M50x might be of interest as that is similarly priced to the DT 770 Pros. I have the M70x which is generally critiqued for having weaker bass than the M50x. While I have not heard the M50x I do thing the M70x has less bass than my HD600s which is also critiqued for being lacking in that department (though I love them dearly and thing they are great).

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #13,317 of 14,566
Nope, afaik none of the DT 770s have one - although I am sure there is a mod to add one.

Thanks for the reply. While I've got the tools and skills for the job, I'd rather avoid mods on a brand new purchase.

Audio Technica ATH-M series have single entry detachable cables. The M50x might be of interest as that is similarly priced to the DT 770 Pros. I have the M70x which is generally critiqued for having weaker bass than the M50x. While I have not heard the M50x I do thing the M70x has less bass than my HD600s which is also critiqued for being lacking in that department (though I love them dearly and thing they are great).

I actually want to replace a pair of M50x that have around ten thousand hours on them. I really appreciate their sound profile. Mechanically, though, the stops on the folding mechanisms broke and they lost any ability to clamp. CA glue has them functional again but I'm concerned what may fail next time. I use them in an industrial environment, noisy with snag/entanglement hazards, thus the closed back and removable single entry cable requirements.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #13,318 of 14,566
I actually want to replace a pair of M50x that have around ten thousand hours on them. I really appreciate their sound profile. Mechanically, though, the stops on the folding mechanisms broke and they lost any ability to clamp. CA glue has them functional again but I'm concerned what may fail next time. I use them in an industrial environment, noisy with snag/entanglement hazards, thus the closed back and removable single entry cable requirements.
Since you really like their sound profile...why not pick up another pair? They certainly held up well for you! :wink:

That said, if you're looking for a change, then several cans in this range are closed with detachable cables -- Shure 840, Senn HD380 Pro, KRK 8400, AKG K371, etc. If I recall though, some detachable cables 'lock' when connected...not sure if that's a plus or minus for your use case?

One thought on the industrial environment...maybe consider some Closed Back BT cans and eliminate the snagging cable hazard completely?

I think these Denons ($125 normally $250) - AH-GC25W Premium Wireless Headphones Over-Ear Headphones (denon.com) might fit the bill for wireless alternative (AptX HD & AAC). I'm sure there are several other brands that would as well.

FWIW...I just picked up their wired AH-D1200's ($60 normally $199) as a set of 'knockaround' work cans that will sit out on the desk -- no worries/babysitting/etc. Nice cans for this price!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #13,319 of 14,566
@Baldr Mike, if you are reading this, Happy New Year and may 2021 be better in every way than 2020.

2021. Holy crap. That's a date from Sci Fi stories I used to read.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #13,320 of 14,566
@Baldr Mike, if you are reading this, Happy New Year and may 2021 be better in every way than 2020.

2021. Holy crap. That's a date from Sci Fi stories I used to read.
Ditto.

2017 is when Dark Angel is set (Jessica Alba dystopia tv show)
2016 Blade Runner
1999 was when Skynet blew up the world (Terminator)
1996 humanity wiped out by virus (12 Monkeys)

Wikipedia has a page of these. So amusing to read through all the things that should have happened by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back