What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #10,876 of 14,566
Agree with both - Lavazza is a good mainstream brand and far better than many alternatives :)

Enjoy your new found coffee love! Another rabbit hole... I think I might have too many brewing kits - Vietnamese Drip, Aeropress, Hario Syphon, Hario Cold Drip, Mocha Pot, French Press, Breville Dual Boiler Espresso, 3-in-1 sachets from Asia along with a Hario Ceramic Hand Grinder and Breville Smart Grinder ... never ending are these hobbies

Yes, audiophiles and coffee lovers share the same space. Today, I am already perfecting my grind and found the aroma of freshly ground beans makes the few minutes of grinding also a pleasant task. The imported beans are delicious and have piqued my interest in finding the Best local roaster, a ubiquitous group in Charlotte.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #10,877 of 14,566
Stereophile re-posted a 1992 interview with Mike Moffat today -- pretty cool!
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mike-moffat-re-creating-musical-event
Interesting from that interview ...

" ...I sold Theta to my partner in '82, did interconnects for a while" :astonished:
and
" ... Can a 3" piece of wire carrying digital audio make such a difference to the sound?
Moffat: The wire we use is very fast wire, made for the internal wiring harness in supercomputers."

:thinking:

Where do I get "blindingly, screamingly fast" wire now? :nerd:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #10,879 of 14,566

" ...I sold Theta to my partner in '82, did interconnects for a while" :astonished:
and
" ... Can a 3" piece of wire carrying digital audio make such a difference to the sound?
Moffat: The wire we use is very fast wire, made for the internal wiring harness in supercomputers."

Paul McGowan of PS Audio credits @Baldr for turning him onto the importance of wire in audio reproduction.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #10,880 of 14,566

and

I found this interesting as well! I hadn’t known this previously about him producing interconnects.

I imagine it would be funny to hear a conversation between Jason and Mike on the subject of wire/interconnects — I think we all know what Jason’s opinion is on interconnects (see his profile if you don’t)! :wink:

It’d also be interesting to know what kind of interconnect Mike uses in his setup today! @Baldr, might you enlighten us?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #10,881 of 14,566
It’d also be interesting to know what kind of interconnect Mike uses in his setup today! @Baldr, might you enlighten us?

I know a few years ago Jason was using Wywires Blue XLR interconnects, but they might have moved on by now :)

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #10,882 of 14,566
I know a few years ago Jason was using Wywires Blue XLR interconnects, but they might have moved on by now :)

Interesting! Didn’t know that. That’s actually a higher-priced cable than I would have expected, but this was all simply inferred by me from various posts of his.

I still haven’t strayed away from the PYST XLR (Straight Wire) cables in my setup... with the Freya stacked on top of the Gungnir MB, the length is absolutely perfect.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #10,883 of 14,566
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #10,884 of 14,566

Well, if you think about it CAT5/6 is designed for extreme data rates. I use it (CAT5E) for speaker wire and get gobs of detail from it. Not a small improvement either.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #10,886 of 14,566
How do you terminate the cat5e ?

I started with three 2M lengths of 5E for each speaker (lower the resistance for bass). Removed the outer insulators but left the pairs twisted. I connected the striped wires together and the solids together at each end. Connected striped to positive of a banana plug and solid to negative on each end. Be careful not to connect any striped with solid or you will have a short and possibly damage to equipment.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #10,887 of 14,566
I started with three 2M lengths of 5E for each speaker (lower the resistance for bass). Removed the outer insulators but left the pairs twisted. I connected the striped wires together and the solids together at each end. Connected striped to positive of a banana plug and solid to negative on each end. Be careful not to connect any striped with solid or you will have a short and possibly damage to equipment.

you have any pics of this you can share?

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #10,888 of 14,566
"Fast" wire is a bit misleading, but yes wire made from higher conductance material like silver is "faster" than lower conductance material like copper. The difference can be calculated, and with the proper tools (and long enough length of cable) measured. Does it make a practical difference in use and at the lengths normally found in an audio system? That is debatable.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #10,889 of 14,566
you have any pics of this you can share?

IMG_20190614_120323283.jpg

Unfortunately not a good pic. Wire is covered in black sheathing with shrink at ends. You can see where the wire goes into the banana plugs. Note the speaker crossovers are also wired with 5E twisted pairs. Sound (at least to my ears) is stunning. The gentleman who runs VH Audio also has a howto posted on how he did his. Mine are not braided. https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #10,890 of 14,566

After I read the full interview with Mike, I realized he was talking about the wire carrying digital information from the DAC input to the PCB on the digital side.
Completely different than the analog interconnects I wrote about here. Oops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back