What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 14, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #10,441 of 14,565
Mike, my mom has been dealing with Myasthenia gravis since she was in her 30s. She's 68 now. I still remember all the trouble she would have talking, not being able to walk right... or at all... but then she started having trouble breathing. She ended up in the hospital for months while they ran tests and tried to figure out what was wrong, until some neurologist figured it out. Thank god. I mean, 30 years ago, no one even knew what Myastenia gravis was, and if I tell someone today my mom has that neurological disorder, the inevitable response is, "What's that?" That was a rough time, back then, as me being all of 13 years old thought she was going to die, and she almost did. They ended up doing surgery to remove her thymus gland (which involved breaking her rib cage) and put her on a replacement medication that she's taken for the past 30 years. They put her on a high dose of prednisone initially too, which she stubbornly weened herself off of, which probably would have killed her by now if she hadn't. Don't let them put you on that crap. I'm thankful every day that she's still alive and doing ok.

Here's some things she told me help/worsen her symptoms (which still come back if she gets ill or over-stressed):

- Exercise/diet. She's probably the most fit woman her age, and that's because keeping her muscles strong helps keep the symptoms in check.
- Overwork. Unfortunately, my mom is one of those people that can't sit still and has to be doing something, so it's tough for her, but when she works herself too hard, the symptoms will return, usually the next day, where she can barely do anything and has no energy.
- Sleep. If she doesn't get enough sleep, she gets really weak.
- Medication. She ended up taking medication to help with her anxiety and stress (partly caused by the disease), which helps her deal with her situation mentally and, well, she's just an anxious person, so there's that. (me too unfortunately)
- Awareness. She's learned to know when she's getting over-fatigued and try to ease off, but that's hard for her to do. She's gotten better at it.
- Stubbornness. She's stubborn as hell and mentally she refuses to let the illness get the better of her. I honestly believe this has kept her going more than anything else.

I hope you get a real diagnosis and they don't just push you along hoping you just go away and are someone else's problem. Or worse, doctors don't understand what they're dealing with and really just have no clue what to do. Seen that happen too many times.

Best of luck, and health, Mike. Stay stubborn and keep making great audio gear!

May 14, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #10,442 of 14,565
I'm going through the IDKWTFYH right now as well. Mine is neuro related with tingling 24/7 in the palms and fingers. Fortunately no loss of mobility, just constant goings on. Skiing and golf unaffected by the trauma of a probable transverse myelitis. My thoughts are with you Mike on this journey. I wish you good health and a full recovery.

May 14, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #10,443 of 14,565
well I have subscapularis tendentious right shoulder that effects my extension and power for golf, been getting massages they help lots.

May 14, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #10,444 of 14,565
I'm going through the IDKWTFYH right now as well. Mine is neuro related with tingling 24/7 in the palms and fingers. Fortunately no loss of mobility, just constant goings on. Skiing and golf unaffected by the trauma of a probable transverse myelitis. My thoughts are with you Mike on this journey. I wish you good health and a full recovery.

Yikes, get well ... we're on your side.
Maybe the lighter grip pressure leads to more accurate shots with your irons, a blessing in disguise :)

May 14, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #10,446 of 14,565
Starting yoga tomorrow to see if improved blood flow helps the hands. My thoughts with Mike as best I can tell he has a road less travelled to overcome.

Thanks for the support.

Good luck. Don't forget the lighter grip pressure, especially on the shorter iron shots. Straight from David Feherty's wisdom :)

May 14, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #10,448 of 14,565
Mike- all blessings, good wishes, and good fortune in finding the right doc and right direction.

May 15, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #10,450 of 14,565
It all starts with Quads, doesn't it? I first heard them when I was 16 and they blew my mind. I've owned my pair since 1986, had them rebuilt by Wayne Piquet a few years ago, and drove them for years with the GSI-mod ST70, more recently with a diytube ST35, which is even better, and soon with a diy Pass Aleph J. The Quads are the one constant, and the fact that you love them too gives me even greater regard for your designs. Looking forward to reading this.

Love the Quads (my college roommate owned a pair) and thinking of building an Aleph J (heard great things about it).

May 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #10,451 of 14,565
Love the Quads (my college roommate owned a pair) and thinking of building an Aleph J (heard great things about it).

Amen to that. I've had my Quads for longer than I care to remember. Don't overlook tube amps, such as the ones lafish mentioned. I have three transistor amps, including Quad's 303 and Elite integrated and, although they are fine sounding amps, I always go back to my tube amp. Enjoy your Quads.
Rich

May 15, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #10,452 of 14,565
Amen to that. I've had my Quads for longer than I care to remember. Don't overlook tube amps, such as the ones lafish mentioned. I have three transistor amps, including Quad's 303 and Elite integrated and, although they are fine sounding amps, I always go back to my tube amp. Enjoy your Quads.
Rich

Actually - I don't have quads - wish I did. I do however, have a restored Fisher 400 receiver (tubes) driving LS3/5As. Would like to try a Pass Aleph J just to experiment.

May 16, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #10,454 of 14,565
@Baldr Mike I wish you all the strength to get back in good health again.
Love your digital work and hope I can see more of your masterpieces in the near future.
Maybe this text from a what you probably call a "woohoowoohoo" song is what I hope that'll happen, that you can pick yourself (with the help of the best doctors) up and start all over again.
Now nothing's impossible, I've found for when my chin is on the ground,
I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.
Don't lose your confidence if you slip, be grateful for a pleasant trip,
And pick yourself up, dust off, start over again.
Work like a soul inspired until the battle of the day is won.
You may be sick and tired, but you be a man, my son.
Will you remember the famous men who have to fall to rise again,
So take a deep breath, pick yourself up, start all over again. ......

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #10,455 of 14,565
Actually - I don't have quads - wish I did. I do however, have a restored Fisher 400 receiver (tubes) driving LS3/5As. Would like to try a Pass Aleph J just to experiment.
Wow, that is a giant leap back to the first post in this thread about Mike being a fan of the Quad ESL's. Love those speakers too, both the 57 and the 63 models. Love the last the best, because it can cope with more modern gear and music and can play a bit louder. Still the looks of the 57 are iconic as they have a bit of art-deco style. 3 years on the way now to make the best rebuild on the ESL-63 and we're getting there. Next project will be the 57.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back