What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #5,417 of 14,566
@Pietro Cozzi Tinin, @HumanFly, @wout31 and any other dutch people that may be reading along.

Check out:

http://apollo-ensemble.nl

If they play in a venue near you, they play baroque music with historical instruments and historical tuning. Very much worth the time, if you're interested in that sort of thing of course.

I know I very much enjoy their performances every time I go see them. It wasn't until recently with all this gadget talk that I realised they play in the old tuning, not this modern A=440 stuff.

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #5,419 of 14,566
I was wondering if there could be a future version of the gadget that could slow the tempo without changing the pitch. It would be wonderful for teaching and practicing. (I play Viola in the local symphony) I have a box that does this from a local music store but it sounds dreadful. However, it is a great help when trying to learn Tchaikovsky's 6th or other pieces where the section is divided into two or more parts. Do you think there would be enough interest to make it worthwhile?

I was thinking too that the natural progression would be to look at the tempo after the pitch. As a self-taught hobbyist musician myself, I could appreciate such a "gadget".

On another thought, is there anyone out there bothered by classical recordings that don't convey the sound delay from the back of the orchestra? Timpani and such. I'm still too new to this adventure to know if any of my music is actually recorded that way or not. I have just come to notice this as I took the steps from Jot -> Gumby -> Yggy and started to notice that there might be something strange with the perfect timing of the instruments in the back vs violin/woodwind in front. It seems this may not be as simple as delaying the bass response but what do I know :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #5,420 of 14,566
On another thought, is there anyone out there bothered by classical recordings that don't convey the sound delay from the back of the orchestra? Timpani and such. I'm still too new to this adventure to know if any of my music is actually recorded that way or not. I have just come to notice this as I took the steps from Jot -> Gumby -> Yggy and started to notice that there might be something strange with the perfect timing of the instruments in the back vs violin/woodwind in front. It seems this may not be as simple as delaying the bass response but what do I know :)

I don't seem to have much problem hearing the sound delay with my Gumby. You may want to look at your amp and/or headphone. I'm curious as to what you thought you were missing with Gumby that led you to upgrade to Yggy?

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #5,421 of 14,566
I was thinking too that the natural progression would be to look at the tempo after the pitch. As a self-taught hobbyist musician myself, I could appreciate such a "gadget".

That would be technically "solvable" I guess, but it would require multi-miking, which has its own drawbacks. On the other hand, when you visit a concert and are seated somewhere halfway the hall, do you experience any timing difference (delay) problems? I never did, so why would it suddenly be a problem when the concert is recorded?

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #5,422 of 14,566
I don't seem to have much problem hearing the sound delay with my Gumby. You may want to look at your amp and/or headphone. I'm curious as to what you thought you were missing with Gumby that led you to upgrade to Yggy?

Sorry, my wording was confusing. It's not the DAC's fault. As I hear more details in recordings, it struck me that perhaps the delayed sound of certain instruments (in large orchestral pieces) that I expect at a live performance is not present in recordings.

I haven't exhausted my library yet, so I'm not completely sure yet. Maybe it has to do with the sense of depth and my samples were missing that, maybe?

As for Gumby to Yggy, I became completely sold on the Schiit's multibit sound after listening to Gumby. I love the form factor and features of Gumby. It's perfect except that there is Yggy... I had to listen to it, and unfortunately, I hear enough difference, as many have described here such that it's a keeper for me. The main thing for me was how the ambiance is presented for acoustic instruments. I'm loving it. Thank you Schiit for providing the opportunity for me to experience a new level of music experience!

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #5,424 of 14,566
Over from Jason's thread:

Oh yes.. a CD transport.
I think however Mike has to buy the actual drive/laser unit.
And there's a lot of schiit out there not to his standards.

Not many around any more anyway I think, even computer DVD drives are dying out.

The best transport may still be the Teac VDRS drive, but that one is very expensive, and Teac seem to sell it only to whoever they like.

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #5,425 of 14,566
That would be technically "solvable" I guess, but it would require multi-miking, which has its own drawbacks. On the other hand, when you visit a concert and are seated somewhere halfway the hall, do you experience any timing difference (delay) problems? I never did, so why would it suddenly be a problem when the concert is recorded?

Yeah multiple mics would be my guess but I can't imagine how that would manifest in recordings.

I'll admit that I don't often listen to the orchestra in the forward row seats. I think that midway back in orchestra level (and further back or above) still presents some delay variations. I can't say I fully analyzed what I'm hearing though... I'm questioning my hearing myself :)

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #5,426 of 14,566
Not many around any more anyway I think, even computer DVD drives are dying out.

The best transport may still be the Teac VDRS drive, but that one is very expensive, and Teac seem to sell it only to whoever they like.

And I seriously doubt if Teac would want to see their own drive in a competing product from Schiit, which will be without any doubt cheaper than their own consumer products (Teac / Esoteric).

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #5,427 of 14,566

Oh yes.. a CD transport.
My NorthStar 192 is starting to get a bit long in the tooth... build a transport around the fabulous Phillips Pro2 and I'm in.

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #5,428 of 14,566
My NorthStar 192 is starting to get a bit long in the tooth... build a transport around the fabulous Phillips Pro2 and I'm in.

Does Philips still make these? Or would Schiit have to buy all NOS of these they can find?

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #5,429 of 14,566

Oh yes.. a CD transport.

I think that @Baldr should start by building a big ass custom laser before minaturizing into a CD transport. That would be fun for him I'm sure.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #5,430 of 14,566
Does Philips still make these? Or would Schiit have to buy all NOS of these they can find?
Hmm, I don't know. I still see "new" drives available for sale but if Phillips has stopped manufacture, well first that's a real shame, but second it would make creating a new transport difficult. What is the best alternative these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back