What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #5,386 of 14,566
On the music front ... JS Bach's music lends itself quite well to Jazz ... due to its bass-lines and melodic structures ... and I do recall discovering Jacques Loussier's Trio and his countless Play Bach albums, some years ago. Tonight I listened to an album, called simply B-A-C-H by Rainer Bohm, on the ACT label ... reminiscent of Loussier but perhaps a more thoughtful (sympathetic ?) approach. Suggested listening for Jazz & Classical aficionados alike.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #5,391 of 14,566
I was wondering if there could be a future version of the gadget that could slow the tempo without changing the pitch. It would be wonderful for teaching and practicing. (I play Viola in the local symphony) I have a box that does this from a local music store but it sounds dreadful. However, it is a great help when trying to learn Tchaikovsky's 6th or other pieces where the section is divided into two or more parts. Do you think there would be enough interest to make it worthwhile?

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #5,393 of 14,566
You can even find it in the Yggdrasil description section on the Schiit website:
Yggdrasil is the world’s only closed-form multibit DAC, delivering 21 bits of resolution with no guessing anywhere in the digital or analog path
[...]
21 Bits, No Guessing: Mission-Critical D/A Technology
:slight_smile:
Can't un-reply,
so I'll just say I can't be bothered explaining facts.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #5,394 of 14,566
I replied to your post in the other thread. In summary, Yggy's 20 bit resolution is equivalent to slightly more than 6 decimal digits, so pi value would be 3.14159 or 3.141592 (bit to decimal doesn't translate exactly).

Thank you.

So, given your response "pi value would be 3.14159 or 3.141592", what would the value be if truncation were used (instead of rounding)?

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #5,395 of 14,566
Had the immense pleasure of seeing the Eroica Trio playing Beethoven's Triple Concerto in Miller Symphony Hall. Just wow.

A portion of the enjoyment I felt was all the fun they seemed to be having playing and feeding off the energy of the audience. Just fantastic.

If you get a chance, go see them!

Nov 6, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #5,396 of 14,566
So, given your response "pi value would be 3.14159 or 3.141592", what would the value be if truncation were used (instead of rounding)?
Your question is too vague and doesn't make sense mathematically without precisely defining parameters of your question.

First of all, note that rounding can go up or down. Rounding down is the same as truncation. Given some arbitrary numbers, on average rounding down will happen half the time. So rounding and truncation is expected to produce the same values for half of the samples.

What does it mean to truncate vs round the value of pi? In the context of this thread, it means that you started with the value of pi stored in 24 bits (in some way). Then reduce it to 21 bits by applying rounding or truncation. When I mentioned 3.141592, it was based on the following logic. A 21 bit number can have a value of 0 to 2097151 (2^21 - 1). The max value 2097151 is 7 decimal digits. It is not possible for 21 bits to hold a number with 8 decimal digits. Pi with 7 significant digits is 3.141592. Rounding can only add the minimum value, 0.000001 to the result. The difference between rounding and truncation is either the same, or rounding potentially adds 0.000001. Actually if the binary value is rounded up, it might not affect the decimal value after conversion to base 10, and for an individual value you might not see any effect in the decimal representation.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #5,397 of 14,566
Your question is too vague and doesn't make sense mathematically without precisely defining parameters of your question.

First of all, note that rounding can go up or down. Rounding down is the same as truncation. Given some arbitrary numbers, on average rounding down will happen half the time. So rounding and truncation is expected to produce the same values for half of the samples.

What does it mean to truncate vs round the value of pi? In the context of this thread, it means that you started with the value of pi stored in 24 bits (in some way). Then reduce it to 21 bits by applying rounding or truncation. When I mentioned 3.141592, it was based on the following logic. A 21 bit number can have a value of 0 to 2097151 (2^21 - 1). The max value 2097151 is 7 decimal digits. It is not possible for 21 bits to hold a number with 8 decimal digits. Pi with 7 significant digits is 3.141592. Rounding can only add the minimum value, 0.000001 to the result. The difference between rounding and truncation is either the same, or rounding potentially adds 0.000001. Actually if the binary value is rounded up, it might not affect the decimal value after conversion to base 10, and for an individual value you might not see any effect in the decimal representation.

So does all this mean my Gumby is just a piece of junk because it only goes to 19 bits??? Just kidding. I don't have a clue as to what you guys are talking about, but love it anyway ))))))

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #5,398 of 14,566
For those "discussing" DAC sample rates and bit depth (and sounding a lot like little boys bragging that "mine is bigger than yours") I recommend searching out @Baldr posts in this very thread where he discusses this topic in some detail. And then stop trying to sound like experts in a field you are not (unless you are also a digital system designer specializing in digital audio.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back