What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #3,121 of 14,566
I am watching and trying to get used to the new site. I have been watching in particular the posts on music favorites, and pleased that I already own a huge chunk of them, and have bought a few more to evaluate with the MP. I am grateful for those who took the time to list that music which is important to them, and you all have contributed far more than you realize to the MP. Thanks!

That said, I have stayed away until I have figured out how to use the new site more efficiently in terms of time. It seems to take longer than it used to, or it could be me. I am chronicling, for my own sanity, the history of the Manhattan Project, which goes back 49!?! years. I just had no idea it was a component which needed to be built until two or so years ago. As I write, I have been listening to Furtwangler's 2nd Symphony (Chicago/Barenboim) and Devin Townsend to make sure I do not snore in Italian. Little danger there as I am not nor have ever been a FLIO (Fan of light Italian Opera), although a bit of Puccini every now and then makes me crave Italian fare.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 3, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #3,122 of 14,566
I am watching and trying to get used to the new site. I have been watching in particular the posts on music favorites, and pleased that I already own a huge chunk of them, and have bought a few more to evaluate with the MP. I am grateful for those who took the time to list that music which is important to them, and you all have contributed far more than you realize to the MP. Thanks!

That said, I have stayed away until I have figured out how to use the new site more efficiently in terms of time. It seems to take longer than it used to, or it could be me. I am chronicling, for my own sanity, the history of the Manhattan Project, which goes back 49!?! years. I just had no idea it was a component which needed to be built until two or so years ago. As I write, I have been listening to Furtwangler's 2nd Symphony (Chicago/Barenboim) and Devin Townsend to make sure I do not snore in Italian. Little danger there as I am not nor have ever been a FLIO (Fan of light Italian Opera), although a bit of Puccini every now and then makes me crave Italian fare.

Nice to hear from you Mike. I too am having trouble with the site and am unable to post from my mobile phone as I usually do. This is going to limit my postings as I do not work at a desk.

I look forward to you ragaling us with tales of Manhattan past and present. Please include all the "Demon Core" stories. They may be traumatic for you to relive, but are very interesting for us.

Cheers

May 3, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #3,123 of 14,566
Nice to hear from you Mike. I too am having trouble with the site and am unable to post from my mobile phone as I usually do. This is going to limit my postings as I do not work at a desk.

I look forward to you ragaling us with tales of Manhattan past and present. Please include all the "Demon Core" stories. They may be traumatic for you to relive, but are very interesting for us.

Cheers
Only thing that went wrong on my side so far is that my likes from before the renovation seem to be gone. So I feel severely unliked at the moment. I think I will get over it eventually though. But again, I am fairely new to the forum and it may well be that never getting used to the old layout is in my advantage now.

edit:
horrible typos

May 3, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #3,124 of 14,566
Only thing that went wrong on my side so far is that my likes from before the renovation seem to be gone. So I feel severely unliked at the moment. I think I will get over it eventually though. But again, I am fairely new to the forum and it may well be that never getting used to the old layout is in my advantage now.

edit:
horrible typos

There you go FTFY...

:)

May 3, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #3,127 of 14,566
My 5 deserted island albums in no order would be:

In Flames - Clayman
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Faith No More - King for a Day
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Leevi and the Leavings - Keskiviikko

A little something for everything.

May 3, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,128 of 14,566
I know I'm super late but here are my picks:

1. Daft Punk, Random Access Memories
2. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
3. Santana, Supernatural
4. ZZ Top, Tres Hombres
5. Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty

I love Hello Nasty, the instrumental tracks are incredible.

My 5 deserted island albums in no order would be:

In Flames - Clayman
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Faith No More - King for a Day
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
Leevi and the Leavings - Keskiviikko

A little something for everything.

Clayman is one of my all time favorite albums, great choice! I love how good the mastering was on those early In Flames albums (Whoracle, Colony & Clayman), incredible for the genre at that time.

May 3, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,129 of 14,566

I found it really fascinating that there were so many fans of Opeth and other great metal bands in the favorites list. Lots of classical and orchestral stuff I've never heard of as well, which I expected, but I was really glad to see so many awesome metal bands listed. It seems Schiit really attracts the metal crowd, and it makes total sense. I hope you found it possible to enjoy at least Opeth's more proggy tracks if you chose to investigate =)

I have found the site easier to use after a few tweaks were made, but I'm still frustrated that the reputation system is gone.

May 3, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,130 of 14,566
Alright, since it's taken days to get around to this, I decided to up the challenge to myself and pick 5 albums nobody else picked - since we're all going to end up on the same island, right!

BUT, the new head-fi seems to have lost it's ability to search within a thread which makes it more of a challenge. So, here's a list that (by feeble memory) hopefully only includes albums on no previous lists.

Adele - Live At The Royal Albert Hall
Al Kooper - Black Coffee
Alicia Keys - The Element Of Freedom (Deluxe)
Béla Fleck & the Flecktones - Greatest Hits Of The 20th Century [IMPORT]
Big Brother & The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Bill Evans - Some Other Time (The Lost Session From The Black Forest)
Brian Bromberg - Wood
Buddy Guy - Can't Quit the Blues
Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light 'Til Dawn
Chris Botti - In Boston
Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories
Damien Rice - Live At Fingerprints - Warts And All
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live At Luther College (Will miss Busted Stuff and Crash)
Dizzy Gillespie - The Verve/Philips Small Group Sessions
Eiji Oue: Minnesota Orchestra - Minnesota Orchestra Showcase
Eric Bibb - Jericho Road
Erykah Badu - Baduizm
Feist - The Reminder
Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
Gary Karr - J. S. Bach Solo Suites IV, V, VI
Hugh Masekela - Hope
J. Cole - 4 Your Eyez Only
Jason Mraz's Beautiful Mess: Live On Earth (or, Live Schuba's Tavern)
Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg, Edgar Meyer - Skip, Hop, & Wobble
Jill Scott - Collaborations
Johny Lee Hooker - The Best of Friends
Lou Harrison - La Koro Sutro
Manu Katché - Neighborhood
Meghan Trainor - Deluxe
Pacifica Quartet - The Soviet Experience Volume IV: String Quartets By Dimitri Shostakovich And His Contemporaries
Passenger - All the Little Lights
Phil Collins - The Singles
Philip Philips - The World From The Side Of The Moon
Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company
Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros
Stan Getz - Stan Getz & Oscar Peterson Trio
Taj Mahal - An Evening of Acoustic Music
Thelonious Monk - Live At The It Club
Tommy Emmanuel - Center Stage
Van Morrison - It's too Late to Stop Now (Live)
4 Non Blondes - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

Wait a minute, that's not five - I may sink before making it to the island!

I really did use huge amounts of discipline and restraint though I still felt forced to forgo math for the sake of time constraints and sanity. Maybe 5 albums from each letter of the alphabet (or at least from each genre) would be more my style.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,132 of 14,566
You will plunge us all into anarchy!
No ... anarchy would be writing poetry only using titles of great albums.

Blue Light ‘Til Dawn
in Boston
It’s Too Late to Stop Now
Bigger, Better, Faster,
More!
All the Little Lights,
Cheap Thrills
Genius Loves Company
Warts and all
So...
Skip, Hop, & Wobble
Then Play On
From the Side of the Moon

edits: Sorry, can't help editing an awful poem. Luckily it hasn't been quoted.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,133 of 14,566
Maybe it would be a shorter list if we went with 'What music wouldn't you take with you?":laughing:

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,134 of 14,566
OK, if we're still doing the favorite album thing, here goes...
Allen Toussaint - The Bright Mississippi
Carole King - Tapestry
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Harry Connick Jr. - She
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Neil Young - Decade
NGDB - Will the Circle Be Unbroken
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
Sam Bush - King of My World