What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 24, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #2,056 of 14,566

You want a Squeeze-player with S/PDIF output?  Sonore SonicOrbiter SE.  It's also Roon ready, and also has USB output.  http://www.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

I used a SOSE for quite a while. Even followed by a good USB>coax converter like the Bel Canto mLink, it did not measure up to the microRendu's USB output. I experimented with the optical out, but tops out at 96/24, which would be fine for me except that some (good) hires releases I own came onl in 192/24 and it seems silly to downsample them just to deal with the limitations of the streamer;  in any case I don't think it sounds as good as the microRendu. All IMO, of course.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2,057 of 14,566
  S/PDIF (AES-EBU as well) is an exclusive digital audio protocol more reliable than USB; in particular over distance.  USB is capable of intercourse with other species, such as printers, ergo bestial.

It's certainly true that USB is an equal-opportunity bit-carrier.   (hmm, not sure if that's righteous or highly infectious)

Baldr, since you are so familiar with the various digital audio carriers, and express such firm opinions regarding their merits, would you be open to going into greater detail on this subject? I'd like to better understand your objections to USB and better improve my understanding of the subject.

If you'd rather not or feel you've said enough on this, then I'll it at that. But if not, say the word or PM me and I'll write up some questions.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,058 of 14,566
Just to beat a dead nag a big more, I confirmed today that all traces of MQA were gone from highresaudio.com, so I felt like rewarding them with five FLAC album purchases. Their new classical and jazz selection is really good, several specialty labels that don't show up on HDtracks. But then I listen to some rather obscure stuff, like mergers of atonal "serious" music and free jazz as one of the albums I just got, "Planktonic Finales" by Stephan Crump, Ingrid Laubrock, and Cory Smythe (Intakt Records).

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,059 of 14,566
Just to beat a dead nag a big more, I confirmed today that all traces of MQA were gone from highresaudio.com, so I felt like rewarding them with five FLAC album purchases. Their new classical and jazz selection is really good, several specialty labels that don't show up on HDtracks. But then I listen to some rather obscure stuff, like mergers of atonal "serious" music and free jazz as one of the albums I just got, "Planktonic Finales" by Stephan Crump, Ingrid Laubrock, and Cory Smythe (Intakt Records).

They still have it, unless this is the wrong site?

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/85i6ky/mick-sawaguchi-yuko-yabe-misuzu-hasegawa-yuki-kaneko-the-sound-of-tama

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,060 of 14,566
They still have it, unless this is the wrong site?

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/85i6ky/mick-sawaguchi-yuko-yabe-misuzu-hasegawa-yuki-kaneko-the-sound-of-tama

I see. But not on the most recent releases, which were the ones I was looking at. No MQA on new DGG or ECM releases, both are Universal Music labels, and some earlier ECM releases there had MQA versions.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,061 of 14,566
  when the spdif sounds better than usb, does it mean spdif in general is better than usb, or that on this device it's better?
and is my preference an actual sign of better fidelity?
you have 2 hours.
biggrin.gif

a) The general consensus seems to be yes
b) Yes, from a personal perspective
c) Yes, it COULD be a sign of better fidelity, although it MIGHT not be 'actual'

Sorry...later than your deadline... but it was gone midnight here :wink: !

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #2,062 of 14,566
Feb 25, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,063 of 14,566

I did not need that.  I'll never enjoy white meat again.

I tried an optical cable from my old laptop as a lark instead of my cleaned-up USB chain.  Lordy! did it sound dreadful.

And, finally, any more details about the hair-raising Bifrost upgrade?  I'm saving up for a Gumby as I want to go balanced output but upgrading my UberFrost would be a good stopgap.

Agree with you about optical... I found it inferior to 'cleaned' USB on my setup ...but COAX it is better IMO.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,064 of 14,566

Now, I admit I am a product of ancient engineering school, but I was taught that if a circuit out and in are not free of mutual electrostatic and electromagnetic energy they ain't isolated.  High dv/dt emfs routinely found in "Galvanically Isolated" USB signals can jump right across where they aren't desired.
[...]
Galvanically Isolated - like a rubber made from screen door material.

That's a very welcome hint, Mike!
wink.gif

I'm eagerly waiting to see (and hear) what you'll come up with regarding this engineering task!

Thanks for your work and for this (as well as the other Schiit) thread(s)!

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,065 of 14,566
Mike,

I know you have designed a very capable and affordable phono preamp, in the Mani. And have discussed in this thread, the possibility of an upgraded phono preamp.

I have recently read a review of a phono preamp costing $7900.00 
eek.gif

I wonder if you would like to discuss the design and component considerations you would make, if you were asked to design a phono preamp to that price point?

Finally, would mere mortals, such as myself, ever expect to appreciate the sonic improvements of such a device?

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,067 of 14,566
  Just because something costs more does not mean it performs better.

I realize that, of course, but I just thought Mike might like to discuss his design decisions, if asked to build to an $8000.00 price point.
L3000.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,069 of 14,566
I don't think he would care to design to that price point. The experience would be similar to a Potlatch ceremony.

Yeah.  I don't get some of the "design" decisions made in some of that high end gear.  OK, tightly spec'd resistors, capacitors, etc.  Designing for longevity (20years, etc).  Some reasonably over-the-top casework, sure.

If those things were applied to Mani, maybe the price would double (excluding casework).  Woohoo! we've hit $300!

But then the "carved from a solid block of aluminum."  Why?  What's wrong with actually making parts via stamping or casting or whatever?

And, "all wire is silver plated in rhodium."  Why?  Copper plated in rhodium would generally be just as good.  If I wanted a corrosion-free conductor, I'd use gold if price is no object.

"Hand-wound transformers."  Aren't machines more precise, repeatable and improvable than that 72yo Japanese dude/dudette that's going to retire any day now?

Well, we could probably go on all day.

@Baldr, loving the Romero Conciertos.  What's your favorite violin piece/recording?

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,070 of 14,566
If you read some of Mike's earlier posts concerning building multibit DACs many years ago, you will see he's already described designing in the cost no object world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back