What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 15, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #841 of 14,566

Thanks. Possibly this one?
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/795895/a-70-bit-perfect-audio-player

In that Thread Someone Linked to this Article . Bryston is Planning to Use a Raspberry Pi and a Digi+ in one of their Media Players.
http://www.canadahifi.com/bryston-reveals-first-details-about-its-upcoming-bdp-%CF%80-digital-music-player/

Damn Now I have expectations.

NuPrime is getting ready to bring out their own Raspberry Pi product as well if it stirs up enough interest (see the last post):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143695.0
Looks like it'll be coming in at $387 for the full kit, or less depending what parts you get.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #842 of 14,566
Pete,  A mac Mini was on my short list Until a coworker suggested looking into a Raspberry PI 3. I like Macs because in general they just work. Linux works great but sometimes they can be fussy like when you update and something breaks. I Did some reading and found out there are some pretty solid players that run out there for the  Ras Pi like rune and Volumio but, The ability to Pass Using I2S to a seperate Card caught my attention. I ran across this Card https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/. 

Is it As good as the Other Recommended options? Form what I have read almost. For just under $150 Shipped for all parts needed including a nice metal case I don't expect it to kill  The Aurender Players but functionality is in the same ball park. I will try different software/os combos to see what works best.it is a fairly Lightweight audio Specific software, Rune for example which runs tweaked low latency build of Linux. The I2S from the Main board to the S/PDIF Board at least to me seems like there is very little in the signal path and the cost is the best part. Hifiberry Claims Bit Perfect output as well.

I pulled the trigger. I plan to give it a run with My Bimby. Worst Case Scenario I will add a nice touch screen a get a cheap android tablet to control it and I will have a nice desktop setup at work.

So if you can pass I2S, I wonder if you could pass that I2S signal out to another DAC? Like, say my multibit Adcom with a TDA1541A chip. Isn't I2S how the first Theta DAC's worked?

Also, I am still trying to figure out the difference in something like a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated player vs. a DAP. Like for instance, my Fiio X3 II plays all types of files off a memory card, it's small, has an XMOS chip, and passes the digial out via coax S/PDIF. No USB involved. And it has a firmware OS. The video isn't even having to power an HDMI for monitor resolution, only the tiny TFT screen. It can use the USB to play files of a USB stick/drive if you have one of those micro to B-female cables.

Well...it doesn't get on the internet and stream from Tidal. I don't stream.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #843 of 14,566
So if you can pass I2S, I wonder if you could pass that I2S signal out to another DAC? Like, say my multibit Adcom with a TDA1541A chip. Isn't I2S how the first Theta DAC's worked?

Also, I am still trying to figure out the difference in something like a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated player vs. a DAP. Like for instance, my Fiio X3 II plays all types of files off a memory card, it's small, has an XMOS chip, and passes the digial out via coax S/PDIF. No USB involved. And it has a firmware OS. The video isn't even having to power an HDMI for monitor resolution, only the tiny TFT screen. It can use the USB to play files of a USB stick/drive if you have one of those micro to B-female cables.

Well...it doesn't get on the internet and stream from Tidal. I don't stream.

Ras Pi Passes I2S right to the Digi+ board from HiFI berry. It has No Dac, You can then use S/PDIF Coax or Optical. Skips the USB Entirely. So Yes a Digi+  is designed for an external DAC, In My case  A Bimby. This seems like the Closest thing to an Un-basterdized Signal I can get on a Budget. Hifiberry Claims Bit perfect. . So in my brain. Bit Perfect into a Bimby Sounds like a recipe for Audio Awesomeness. 

This Crazy German guy Decided to use a Linear Power Supply instead of the switching one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L83EEDbAMJI.
There are a Few people who have done it and say there is an improvement. I would suspect that's what Bryston And Nu Prime May be doing to step their game up from the standard PI. Possibly a future Upgrade.

As Far As the DAP. Sure it can work but not as a Full blown Music Server that I can Have Multi TB drives hooked up to and not have to leave my couch to switch tracks. Or worry about a Long Coax cable that my Dope Pooch will trip over and Continue running because he scared himself half to death . My X3II and Bimby is half way across the house.
I will more than Likely Use Rune Audio on the Ras Pi and then Will use a Cheap Amazon Fire as my Fancy Remote control/Display. A Small light system with an OS that is at least optimized for Audio and addresses a way to play my digital music with out dealing with usb weirdness. Basically what I was whining about a few days ago.At this point Including the Kindle fire I am in it about $200. If I decide I need a Linear PS . Maybe $300.

But then There is this. I just Registered on those site  just because of this. A Nice case And good Power Supply Is Icing on the Cake. Hmm My Wallet Seems to be a bit lighter.

NuPrime is getting ready to bring out their own Raspberry Pi product as well if it stirs up enough interest (see the last post):
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143695.0
Looks like it'll be coming in at $387 for the full kit, or less depending what parts you get.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #844 of 14,566
A friend and I compared a HiFiBerry Digi through an Esoteric K-03 vs playing as SACD directly. The $150 HiFiBerry sounded better in space imaging but timbre was about the same. This was opinion was arrived at simultaneously.

The SACD rip was via a PS3 and converted to FLAC via foobar2000 using the double precision floating point conversion algorithm.

We have tried the cheap wall warts to power the HiFiBerry, but had fewer glitches with the Yggdrasil(which is a little fussy on spdif input) when using a medical grade power supply(Jameco 2189724)(Mean Well GSM60A05-P1J) and a barrel to micro-USB adapter.

The backend is Vortexbox and the controller is the Squeezer App on an android phone/tablet.

Good Luck!

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #845 of 14,566
I Managed to get Everything cobbled together.
Ras Pi3
HifiBerry Digi+ W/ Galvanic Isolation
Coax to the Bimby.

I am Impressed at the difference I heard. My Goal was really to have a Nice Music server setup that was not incredible expensive and gave me a similar level of performance to what I had. the Noticeable improvement I Heard was a Bonus. For about $200 Including a Crappy little Amazon fire Tablet to be the Rune Remote Control (this required some, hmm we will say slight modifications to get the rune app Installed). This is next level over a Window Laptop Using USB Through a Wyrd to the Bimby. I do not know if it is because Rune is running a clean tweaked O/S, Passing the Data Bit perfect to the Bimby, Using Coax or the Combination of all three. I am not going go crazy with the details as there are other threads for that, but Media Servers have been a topic here . If you are looking fora budget media server this is absolutely Worth looking at if you do not mind spending a little time figuring it all out. I Have one Wyrd that is now out of the Home setup and some Fancy USB Cables that are getting relegated to the box of cables in the depths of the closet. I may hunt down a Reasonably priced Linear PS if I get ambitious..

Jul 18, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #846 of 14,566
  I Managed to get Everything cobbled together.
Ras Pi3
HifiBerry Digi+ W/ Galvanic Isolation
Coax to the Bimby.

I am Impressed at the difference I heard. My Goal was really to have a Nice Music server setup that was not incredible expensive and gave me a similar level of performance to what I had. the Noticeable improvement I Heard was a Bonus. For about $200 Including a Crappy little Amazon fire Tablet to be the Rune Remote Control (this required some, hmm we will say slight modifications to get the rune app Installed). This is next level over a Window Laptop Using USB Through a Wyrd to the Bimby. I do not know if it is because Rune is running a clean tweaked O/S, Passing the Data Bit perfect to the Bimby, Using Coax or the Combination of all three. I am not going go crazy with the details as there are other threads for that, but Media Servers have been a topic here . If you are looking fora budget media server this is absolutely Worth looking at if you do not mind spending a little time figuring it all out. I Have one Wyrd that is now out of the Home setup and some Fancy USB Cables that are getting relegated to the box of cables in the depths of the closet. I may hunt down a Reasonably priced Linear PS if I get ambitious..

It is a nice piece of equipment isn't it? When it beat an Esoteric SACD player in our evaluation, I figured I was done looking for better sources.  You might want to try the medical grade switching Power supply that I suggested above. It is supposed to cause little line noise(hence medical grade) and it makes the pi less glitchy with line voltage fluctuations. Mine only glitches when the AC comes on. Total cost with shipping and the adapter is around $30.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #847 of 14,566

It is a nice piece of equipment isn't it? When it beat an Esoteric SACD player in our evaluation, I figured I was done looking for better sources.  You might want to try the medical grade switching Power supply that I suggested above. It is supposed to cause little line noise(hence medical grade) and it makes the pi less glitchy with line voltage fluctuations. Mine only glitches when the AC comes on. Total cost with shipping and the adapter is around $30.

Where did you source the barrel to USB adapter? fleabay?

I still wish someone would produce a linear PSU for the RPi for a reasonable cost. Sigh. It's too bad Wyrd doesn't put out enough power.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #848 of 14,566

Where did you source the barrel to USB adapter? fleabay?

I still wish someone would produce a linear PSU for the RPi for a reasonable cost. Sigh. It's too bad Wyrd doesn't put out enough power.

I'd probably buy a LPS from Schiit if they ever made one. Although none of their products need it (being AC, not DC in), so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #849 of 14,566

What do you call reasonable?  I thought TeraDak was reasonably priced, at least 3½ years ago when I bought their 3A 5Vdc model.

'Course TOTL would be the Paul Hynes linear PSUs. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #850 of 14,566

What do you call reasonable?  I thought TeraDak was reasonably priced, at least 3½ years ago when I bought their 3A 5Vdc model.

Unless I'm mistaken, with the Teradac stuff you have to deal with cobbled websites, order from China, hope there's no communication issues, and then wait a couple of weeks or more before it arrives. If you need service...more hassle and expense.

Or have I confused this with another company?

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #851 of 14,566
Maybe.  I don't remember any difficulty with my delivery, and I believe that I ordered direct.  Haven't yet had to deal with servicing to date.  Pretty robust construction.  We are talking PSUs.

I've never worried about placing direct overseas orders.  Generally cheaper, significantly in some cases, and I've had good luck so far.  The individuals I've dealt with have been pretty scrupulous about their business.

And there's always ebay or amazon outlets at somewhat of a mark-up..

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #853 of 14,566

I'd probably buy a LPS from Schiit if they ever made one. Although none of their products need it (being AC, not DC in), so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I originally joined Head Fi in order to beg for one. My first post ever was exactly that.(Please O Please O Please!)

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #854 of 14,566

I dunno, if they bothered to put prices on their site, I'd tell you.

I found some on the fleabay for $150ish. A little steep, but considering the alternatives...

I can't figure out what's what on Paul's site.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #855 of 14,566
I found this.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

It's still a switching PSU though. Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back