What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #8,041 of 14,566
While I am not an expert, I would imagine that a higher rotational speed (and noise) = greater vibration. Greater vibration means more read jitter as the laser attempts to read the pits and lans and a greater reliance on error correction to offset the tougher reading conditions.

May 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #8,043 of 14,566
DVD drives work great for ripping to a server. The Oppo DVD player when used as a CD player in my HT system left a lot to be desired, sonically. I didn't notice any particular drive noise, but it just sounded thin. But I agree, give me a great CD drive in a transport, please. My NorthStar is getting long in the tooth and starting to skip and rumble. :)

May 22, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,044 of 14,566
I have an older BD83SE OPPO and it has a Sabre Dac, I have recently had the optical output going to my Bimby and also was able to easily switch between this output using the Oppo as a transport only and then to the Oppo's cd out to use the internal dac as well..

I switched back and forth but honestly could not hear any real world difference with my 2 ch setup...

Have you tried the digital outputs of your Oppo?

Alex

May 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #8,045 of 14,566
I have an older BD83SE OPPO and it has a Sabre Dac, I have recently had the optical output going to my Bimby and also was able to easily switch between this output using the Oppo as a transport only and then to the Oppo's cd out to use the internal dac as well..

I switched back and forth but honestly could not hear any real world difference with my 2 ch setup...

Have you tried the digital outputs of your Oppo?

Alex
The connection to the Anthem pre/pro is HDMI. But I only tried it once - it is not something I do as a matter of course.

May 22, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #8,046 of 14,566
I posted this at another site when I was performing a test for me and some friends to see if we could discern the differences in the various outputs from my Oppo to
my new Bimby:

"So now that I have this Bimby and have conversed in other sits on the merits of PCM, FLAC, via Digital, coax and optical vs PC USB2.0...I put together my
in-home test and invited several people over to test them!!

(I like these real world sessions where we discuss the merits of each and then "listen" with knowing what the sources are and then I do a Blind test with the group and see if they really can hear what they are talking about!

Well hooked up to my Oppo modified old BD 83 Special Edition, I had both digital outputs going into the Bimby and a USB to a PC with Flac files.

Once I got them synched up the fun started....

With the switch on the front of the bimby it was easy to switch quickly between the three.

The results were interesting:

At first when one listened for 30 seconds or so I switched to the next source input...most all immediately said "the other one" real fast....but then after 30 seconds or so it was harder for anyone to tell good or bad.

When someone said the other one I hid the selection switch and moved around and even set them up by saying it was this one right...and they said "Yes!" but then I told them it was not the one etc....more smiles..

Then end result of a nice Glass Optical digital cable, a great Coax digital cable and a good quality well known USB cable to a "noisy" PC with all its RFI, digital clocks spewing out RF etc....was that no-one could reliably tell the difference in any of the three.

Mike Moffet at Schiit prefers PCM to Digital out etc....and I understand the technical reasons etc...but in my real world its really close..and to most a "dont care".

But its fun to play and test and have a few laughs...

Next we will do the same with a bunch of dacs and see if "bimby" works as well as I think it "sounds"..

All the best
Alex"

image.jpg

May 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #8,047 of 14,566
I thought using an async dac would take care of any jitter...so why would this transport need to be so "jitter" free?? (in this case).
Alex

Again -- I'm not an expert and maybe my use of the word "jitter" is inappropriate, however, I would imagine drive vibration causes more read errors and therefore a higher reliance on Error Correction Code (ECC). ECC pretty much guestimates as to what the data is supposed to be and makes best guess corrections -- even before the data is sent to the DAC.

As for jitter and Async USB, that only ensures that the computer and DAC are in sync when it comes to XMIT and RECV by handing control of the transmit clock to the DAC. While that does reduce clock related jitter, any jitter introduced via transmission over a cable is not addressed by Asych USB, which is why a high quality USB cable or Coax - S/PDIF cable is always recommended. Jitter is just timing related errors and can be introduced in multiple areas of the digital playback chain.

(That's how I understand it)

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #8,048 of 14,566
ERC-1 & -2 used a slot loading CD Transport. It was discontinued by the manufacturer. You should just use the ERC-1 as a transport (to a Schiit Multibit DAC).

Local audible noise for ERC-3. People (several) reported that it was louder than soft passages in the music.

No daya/digital noise.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #8,049 of 14,566
Thanks. So it isn't anything with the data transport out, just the local noise?
I have an ERC-1 but haven't used it in a while.

Mike

The sometimes noise of the disc drive is the only complaint I have of my ERC-3, and It's noticeable during quiet passages with my phones which are all open back. Also. I sit alongside my rack so I'm physically about as close as one can get, unless it's on a desktop. I have the coax and AES connected to my Yggy, not really a lot of difference between the two to my ears.

I'll be interested in whatever Schiit comes up with for a transport. If they do!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #8,051 of 14,566
May 22, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #8,053 of 14,566
There are people in this forum with absolutely no sense of humor, who are the definitions of "snowflakes" and who get their panties in a twist over the smallest things. Fortunately I have most of them on ignore now, so I only see the replies from others. But it's enough to know what's going on.

Folks, if you don't like the feel and tenor of this thread, why are you here?

Like I care one little bit what you think or have to say. You are just an old man with nothing better to do than think you are better than everyone else.

May 22, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8,055 of 14,566
All I hope is if schiit makes a transport I hope it is a universal player...
I have a ton of 24/48k [masters] shows I recorded sitting on dvds that would be fun to spin in a player....

Do those sources circulate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back