What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #676 of 14,566
  Are you describing a next-gen Aphex Aural Exciter? 
evil_smiley.gif

Read it again.  ADC is Analog-to-Digital-Converter.   What he is describing is flat and transparent, the opposite of an Exciter.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #677 of 14,566
  Read it again.  ADC is Analog-to-Digital-Converter.   What he is describing is flat and transparent, the opposite of an Exciter.

... and thus my post was satirical. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #678 of 14,566
  ... and thus my post was satirical. 

Jimmy Iovine infamously used it on Born to Run, and was punished by making a ***** load of money and becoming head of major companies in the music biz.

Jun 6, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #679 of 14,566
Quote:

At Theta, despite the fact that we had sold two D/A sets to very famous film composers, found it very difficult to sell such an expensive A/D to the studios. Fast forward to today, and it is a different cost world. A two-channel multibit 16x (4x MQA) 21 bit original sample, 24 bit out no missing original sample codes A/D converter with an updated megaburrito filter should sell for $3500ish, given equivalent quantities.

So what could we do (or not)?  (Random thoughts - not policy statements.)

1. Go ahead and build it anyway and hope we don't have dozens and dozens slowly or not sold.

2. Build it for another company already well established in pro audio – even though the price would be higher with another markup.

3. Find other pro audio manufacturers willing to build the converter at a fair price and grant them a royalty-free license to use the inverse megaburrito filter.  A true low-cost open solution.  Recordings would sound better, no matter what playback hardware is used.  Now if you used one of our megaburrito playback, that would be a real bonus.

Really, despite the collective salivating of the membership here, it would be irresponsible to launch such a multibit ADC product without some sort of potential proaudio market demographic study.
Even a questionnaire might prove an effective barometer of the recording studios' receptiveness to such a conversion product upgrade, provided that they actually understood the technical rationale behind its inherent superiority, and that the proper individual with commensurate influence if not authority was targeted within each company.  The latter would probably be the most difficult and likely to require some of that marketing overhead, unless an extensive contact base has been already cultivated over the years with our seasoned vets at Schiit Audio. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #681 of 14,566

Jimmy Iovine infamously used it on Born to Run, and was punished by making a ***** load of money and becoming head of major companies in the music biz.

Noooooo....  Don't throw me in that briar patch. 
wink.gif

We likes our music involving.

If you build it......     your field of dreams could be a nightmare..  
blink.gif

The bigger question is, why is GAIN 2 based on single bit conversion? 
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #684 of 14,566
  Wha wha wha...  But if progress implies improvement, then GAIN 2 would represent better quality recording digital conversions, woodenit?

Progress could include increased cost efficiency; i.e. cheaper.  Or a bigger profit margin for the manufacturer.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #686 of 14,566
I was hoping for a response from someone that might actually be privy to the MFSL decision for replacing the first GAIN system... 

But to counter your argument, Mobile Fidelity positions its product niche at high end mastering and reproduction fidelity, thereby touting quality as its benchmark differentiator for buyer preference.  Cheapness or profit margin would seem to be counterproductive to any competitive advantage they might thusly have gained (sic) from emphasizing authenticity.  Doesn't seem plausible on the face of it.

And maybe deaf trolls are indeed attracted to the bling of the CD gold plating.   But would one be in such a position at MFSL to have the authority to deliberately replace their industry laudable commissioned ADC system with something "better"? 

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #687 of 14,566
Anyone here still listen to a Theta in their system?? 
smily_headphones1.gif
  Theta > Chord Mojo for redbook.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #688 of 14,566
I had a Theta Casablanca in my first serious HT setup back in the day.  I have a Schiit Yggdrasil in my 2-channel system and a Gugnir MB in my headphone setup now, which are the modern successor to Theta.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #689 of 14,566
From the MFSL website:

"1993: Mobile Fidelity continues to test the limits of existing audio technologies with the development of the new GAIN™ System of mastering equipment. This technology affects both analog and digital products from Mobile Fidelity, and has led to startling advancements in the impact of recorded sound. 1994: The company returns to vinyl production with the introduction of the ANADISQ™ 200 LP series, which features half-speed mastering with the GAIN System technology, numbered limited editions, 200 gram super quality virgin vinyl and special heavy-duty jackets with rice paper inner sleeves.

1997: Mobile Fidelity engineers actively investigate several emerging -and competing - audio technologies. Theta Digital upgrades the GAIN™ A/D converter to 24/96 and further research and experimentation is conducted regarding this technology. 

1998: Mobile Fidelity creates one of the first 24bit/96kHz DVD's based on audio under the DVD video specification as a showcase technology piece for the CES Show in Las Vegas. During this same period MFSL engineers start research, experiments and testing with the Sony/Philips Direct Stream Digital (DSD) system 

Mobile Fidelity prepares for the future and introduces the GAIN 2™ system developed by an international team of engineers. This system consists of a custom tape head and hand made reproducer electronics achieving unprecedented bandwidth. Synergistically matched to a 2.8 MHz DSD A/D converter and precision down-converted to PCM for Ultradisc II releases. [accent mine]

1999: Mobile Fidelity releases its first GAIN 2™ Hybrid SACD, Duke Ellington's, Blues in Orbit. Mobile Fidelity's main distributor declares bankruptcy and MFSL Inc. closes it's doors."

Evidently, it was all about the DSD (spelled MQA).  The last paragraph is telling, for those cause & effect conspiracists... 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back