What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Nov 21, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #5,626 of 14,565
Also available on Qobuz

ecm.jpg

Screenshot - 21-11-2017 , 09_52_16.jpg

PRESS RELEASE (from ECM website)

ECM and Streaming

Over the past week we have begun the process of entering streaming, and from November 17th, the full ECM catalogue will be available to subscribers to services including Apple Music, Amazon, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal and Qobuz. This simultaneous launch across the platforms –facilitated by a new digital distribution agreement with Universal Music –invites listeners to explore the wide range of music recorded by our artists in the course of nearly five decades of independent production. Although ECM’s preferred mediums remain the CD and LP, the first priority is that the music should be heard. The physical catalogue and the original authorship are the crucial references for us: the complete ECM album with its artistic signature, best possible sound quality, sequence and dramaturgy intact, telling its story from beginning to end. In recent years, ECM and the musicians have had to face unauthorized streaming of recordings via video web-sharing sites, plus piracy, bootlegs, and a pro-liferation of illegal download sites. It was important to make the catalogue accessible within a framework where copyrights are respected.

ECM Press Office

Munich, November 14, 2017

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #5,631 of 14,565
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #5,634 of 14,565
Jarrett has a particular style of playing, and I wouldn't expect everybody to like him. He actually has a couple of Mozart albums, which I find meh. Pleasant enough but too smooth, without expressive nuance.
I have a love/hate relationship with Jarrett's music-making. I love his duet work with the late Charlie Haden (Jasmine, Last Dance) and I like some of his trio work with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette (such as Inside Out, Always Let Me Go), but I can't stand his solo work, sounds to me pretentious and superficial. I'll go to great lengths to hear Jason Moran, Vijay Iyer, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Craig Taborn, or David Virelles and I'll spend my money and time gladly to hear Kenny Barron, Brad Mehldau, Danilo Pérez, Chucho Valdés, Aaron Parks, Jon Cowherd, Aruán Ortiz, Taylor Eigsti, or Chick Corea (in his latest transformation, he went through a very disappointing slump in the 2000s), and I'd love to get a chance to hear Django Bates, Bobo Stenson, Mário Laginha, or Stefano Battaglia. But you could not pay me to suffer Jarrett (or Hiromi, for that matter) solo.

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #5,637 of 14,565
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #5,640 of 14,565

Wow, just wow. Thanks for the inform! This explains why even Tidal sounds like ass, and more so on some tracks than others. At least there is hope. I always knew that the best sound by far comes from spinning discs, which makes me really want to civilize and Schiitify the beautiful but plywood ugly CD spinning ugly box in my living room, which is closer to a product than it looks. And that is a promise.

I know, I know.. Streaming is so convenient. Then again, so is McDonald's.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back