What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 1, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #181 of 14,566
I have the Mac Mini that Mike mentioned, same era but less RAM and no SSD. This is the kids computer but I have tried it in my system but it was maybe only slightly better than my Macbook Pro from 2009, that does have an SSD and 8GB RAM. Ive thought about buying another old mini and putting a little money into it to to upgrade the RAM, etc, but locally I see Mac Pro models going for just a little more, and they usually have 16GB RAM. Should I consider this route or are there any known issues with noise or reliability that would make the Mac Pro a bad choice?

I don't have any experience with the older 2009 Macs, but I do have a mid-2014 Mac Pro with the I7 core, 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD that I use for my music server.  It works very well with the optical toslink into my GMB DAC.  No issues with noise or reliability.  

This is my first Mac after being a Windoze person for years.  I am impressed with the stability of the Mac OS.  I am still running Mavericks, decided to not upgrade to Yosemite after hearing about some issues...

Hope this helps,
RCB

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #182 of 14,566
RE error correction - I really can only speculate, we use a CM labs 6631 (and I also have looked at the XMOS) for our USB to PCM decode chips.  I spent multiple years disassembling and reassembling the DSP involved in processing the digital audio itself.  I do observe that there is RAM involved for both chips, which is convenient to stuff partially processed audio samples, but that is only an educated guess on my part.  It is something I am curious about, and I just may well get to after the three other projects on my plate right now, or not.  Just depends on what pops up.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #183 of 14,566
RE MacMini servers -

My reason for the SSD and 8Gig RAM was only to cater to my impatience with slow machines.  My only comparison with other Macs was with my late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 Gig, which sounds less than and is far more expensive.  I use this later machine to run Windoze in a VMWare window for PCB layout as a prophylactic measure against all of the horrible Windoze malware out there.  Both of these machines are at my workstation, where I am currently listening to Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, on a Bimby and Vali 2.  I run email on Linux, to prevent spoofing and email account hijackings, which has happened twice to me with Windoze. 

Again, my Mac USB streamer is not presented as be and end all - just cheap, good sounding, and secure.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #184 of 14,566
  RE MacMini servers -

My reason for the SSD and 8Gig RAM was only to cater to my impatience with slow machines.  My only comparison with other Macs was with my late 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.3 Gig, which sounds less than and is far more expensive.  I use this later machine to run Windoze in a VMWare window for PCB layout as a prophylactic measure against all of the horrible Windoze malware out there.  Both of these machines are at my workstation, where I am currently listening to Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, on a Bimby and Vali 2.  I run email on Linux, to prevent spoofing and email account hijackings, which has happened twice to me with Windoze. 

Again, my Mac USB streamer is not presented as be and end all - just cheap, good sounding, and secure.

"on a Bimby and Vali 2." 

Interesting choices considering you have the Entire Schiit Line to Choose from or Alex had to wrangle your Yggy and and Ragnarok away to fullfill orders.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #185 of 14,566
Question for Mac music servers: what type of interfaces for selecting musics, besides a dedicated screen n keyboard/mouse? I'm still using pc for day-to-day tasks. Switching back and forth from pc to mac keyboards seems like a hassle and an extra screen takes up space.

Can an Ipad link to the mac to control the music? Or may be the $20 Apple remote can do it?

Sorry for dumb questions. Kinda wanna to go the Mac server route but not sure of the details.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #186 of 14,566

I use 1 pc mouse and 1 pc keyboard hooked together with USB "Y" connectors hooked up to a 4 to 1 USB switch and a 4 to 1 powered HDMI switch (better video quality) for the monitor.  All available at Amazon and Monoprice.  Some of the Mac keys are slightly different (control-Windoze-alt) but you will soon get used to it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #188 of 14,566
  The Bimby and Vali 2 are my workstation (circuit design, email, etc.).  I have an Yggy/Raggy in the living room and a Gumby/Mule2 in the family room.

So Mjolnir 2 is Mule 2, or have Schiit switched from Norse mythology to Foundation and Empire Sci-Fi?

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #191 of 14,566
The digital aspect of the Manhattan project simply means that it is worked on until a problem arises which puts it on the back-burner until a solution is found. Then it is taken up again until the next problem arises.

Digital = work on, lay aside, work on lay aside, etc, etc, ad hoc, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #192 of 14,566
Question for Mac music servers: what type of interfaces for selecting musics, besides a dedicated screen n keyboard/mouse?

Depends on the program you use to play music on the Mac. Several well known music apps on the Mac have corresponding remote control programs that run on iphone/ipad and android. I use JRiver Media Center for Mac and think it's fantastic.

http://www.jriver.com/

JRemote is the corresponding remote control app that can run on the portable devices. It's a small additional charge ($10).

Brian.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #193 of 14,566

The previous quoted percents were off, according to Wikipedia (and backed up by my personal experience), FLAC typically compresses 50-60%. ALAC is similar, with Wikipedia reporting 40-60%, so it is likely album-dependent which will result in smaller files. FLAC does have an advantage of built-in error checking, but that's usually more useful for streaming than archival.

Interesting, now I'll have to compare file sizes.  When I first set-up the database, it seemed like the FLAC files were more like 20-30% larger than the ALAC files...so there was a clear reason to go ALAC instead of FLAC.  

Just catching up as well, so responding late.  I was just doing some alac/flac ripping comparisons.  At level 5, I found alac files to be slightly larger than flacs.  i.e. 25,900 for alac vs 25,200 for flac.  The only time flacs are larger than alac is for high-loudness material.  I switched to .flac as a result. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #194 of 14,566
Well -- finished with all the year-end crap and biz for the sake of accounting only.  Since it is late at night, time for another post.  Nothing biographical, just about reproducing music and what I learned.

Music – Schiit is in the biz we are to reproduce it. 39 years ago, at my very first CES, I had the pleasure of being introduced to Peter Walker, the inventor of the Quad ESL. He was a delightful gentleman, a fan of classical music, a timeless giant of the audio biz, and a philosopher. Soon after my lengthy discussion with him I realized that even though I liked music and was capable of designing amplifiers at the time – I had absolutely no clue of what I was really supposed to do be doing in my chosen avocation.

I thought that I was building amps that had tighter and deeper bass, smooth midrange, and sparkling highs. What I learned from this wise old man that it was my mission to reproduce the music to transmit all aspects of it from live to reproduced. At first, I told him all about tighter and deeper bass, smooth midrange, and sparkling highs. Almost amused, he explained that proper music transmits emotion; that my job as an audio equipment designer is not merely dependent on proper measured parameters – it is most acceptable to the extent that emotion is conveyed.

Well, I heard what he said but it took years of trying to get my brain to absorb what he said. So all of these years later, I look up music for the first time in the dictionary:

Music: The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre. Just to be sure, I also looked up melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre, and evocative:

Melody: A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.
Harmony: The study of the structure, progression, and relation of chords.
Rhythm: The systematic arrangement of musical sounds, principally according to duration and periodic stress.
Timbre: The character or quality of a musical sound or voice as distinct from its pitch and intensity.
Evocative: Bringing strong images, memories, or feelings to mind.

Hmmm – evocative – feelings. Harkens back to exactly what Peter Walker told me almost 40 years ago. Music causes feelings. Classical, Jazz, Rock, Blues, Americana, all have timbre, rythym, harmony, and melody. Even pop (blech) music has all of the above. Rap – well so much for the missing melody – call it poetry. Techno is an another post.

Seems like the music is written to transmit the composer's/writer's feelings. Classical: Beethoven's 3rd “Heroic” Mahler's “Songs on the “Death of Children”. Thelonius Monk wrote “Ruby my Dear”. Common showtunes are What is this thing called love?”, “Fly Me to the Moon”, and “All the Things You Are”. BB King - “The Thrill is Gone” The Rolling Stones - “You Can't Always Get What You Want” Hank Williams - “Lovesick Blues”.  On and on.

Now, one thing I find interesting on one of the Sound Science threads is an extremely verbose 5 to 6 page a day ongoing discussion (at times quite vituperative) on the whether there is a measurable difference between R2R and Delta Sigma DACs. Most of these guys are so busy writing they seem to have little time for music listening. So, I guess I have to throw myself under the Sound Science bus by saying that for me, R2R does a much better job of portraying the music in a manner which allows me to forget the hardware I listen to and get the feelings of the music. On the whole, mind you. There are exceptions.  It is apparent that many of you must agree with me, judging by our sales and what I read on the threads.

There are far too many anecdotes which support this hypothesis. My wife's all-time favorite album is Supertramp's Crime of the Century. When I play it through an Yggy, she cries. When I play it through a good DS, she does not. She has no dogs in any fight and could care less what she is listening to. There are more than a few other anecdotes mentioning friends or girlfriends/wives asking the DAC owner what he did to the system to make the system improvement. Before I get refried by the Ssers, I know this is a narrative construct. I have no proof. But I am building my own custom test fixtures to try to measure those differences. This is not to say that I discount science – I absolutely do not. I believe that if there is a perceived difference, then there must be a difference to measure. I am just not arrogant enough to believe that we have learned everything required to measure all audible differences.

I am not a fan of Sound Science by experience. They remind me of Bertrand Russell, who I quote: “One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important.” Seriously, read their posts. It appears to me their sense of mission and importance precludes any pleasure this hobby may bring.  They must expose all evil electronic audio equipment makers with an ABX test.

The subjects of every ABX test I have ever witnessed looked, stressed, serious, and constipated. Under those testing circumstances, I can easily understand why they cannot differentiate between the emotions of What is this thing called love?”, and “Songs on the “Death of Children”. After all, a stoic's report of what a feeling man says can never be right, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.  If they only knew.  Perhaps they listen only to audio books.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #195 of 14,566
Baldr, the test equipment you are trying to set up to measure the emotional connection to music must be at the listener involuntary biological physical response. Just today I tagged along with my wife and daughter to Forever 21 clothing store. As I walked in the store, the typical music being play there was not that bad but after 30 minutes was getting on my nerves and had to walk out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back