What’s your headphone collection methodology? Do you have some type of master plan to your purchases, and if so, what is it?
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52
I’ve noticed that whenever a noob asks a “what headphone do you recommend” type of question, it’s usually (rightly) followed by a more experienced person asking the appropriate questions needing answers before any advice can be given (what type of music do you listen to, what type of environment, etc.). Nuance, and listening situational considerations matter. To that end, as I continue to learn about this hobby, my (latest) thinking is that if you’re desire is to build out a HiFi home listening station, once you’ve established a solid foundation of “the basics” in regards to core equipment (good quality music sources either analog or digital, and a solid DAC/AMP either combined or separate units), in 2020, it’s really around the wide range of various headphones at a wide spectrum of price, build quality and frequency range emphasis, that allows you to have the most impact in both maximizing, and changing up, your listening situation. And it’s fun.

Is that how others here think about headphones, and a reason you may have a collection of more than a few? Here’s where I’m coming from: right now I have a pair of Audeze LCD-X’s, plan to get the ZMF Verite’s at some point this year after hearing them a couple of times at events last year, and my thought at this point is that I’ll then have a planar magnetic, a dynamic. To me, they sound different enough that I could indeed stop right there. But down the line at some point I’d like to get a closed-back, and maybe (no rush) dive into an electro-stat. Tubes will definitely be in my future, partly because of the Verites, and I know that will take me down a rabbit hole, but let’s put that aside for now. Anyway, as I started thinking about “future purchases”, I caught myself and thought about this overall question.

If you’re desire is to have a collection of headphones that don’t overlap in sound production at least too much, and each gives you something different that justifies on some level adding it to your collection, do you think about it from the perspective I just shared (one planar, one dynamic, etc), or is there another methodology you use to build out your collection? To add, my answer to “what music do you like and listen to?” would be an emphatic “Yes!” I’m an amateur guitarist, and truly love and listen to all types of music. Also, I know that finding ONE set of cans that you like and serves your needs is a valid plan, too! Empty consumerism and GAS isn’t the religion I’m preaching here, but just trying to understand if more experienced folks have thought about this and possibly have a mapped out methodology of some kind that I haven’t considered, for having more than one (or five, or ten) set of headphones, and can articulate why they have what they have.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 52
Good thread topic!

For me, I definitely had certain "boxes" to check. I need some closed back for utility purposes, that just need to be good enough and cheap enough. Then I need some better closed back for serious listening and domestic tranquility when Sra Dinero is home. Then I just started looking for good deals on Grados 😁

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 52
I don't try and get cans that have different focus (but I started that way). I have found I don't like closed, don't like "fun" cans, don't like very bright cans, don't like very dark cans, hate pumped up bass cans too.

I love the Voce the most of all cans I've heard, but can't afford that set-up. In order I bought (and kept) the HD-600, HE-500, HEX v2, HE6se - basically variations on a theme, also modded them, and added EQ which brings them all together a bit. I bought and sold: LCD2-F, X00 Mahogany, Alera, HE5se, (and way old: AKG 240, Stax 303, HD-650) and tried to sell 4XX, Fostex FH500RP.

I'm interested in the E2 and Arya - or - sell off a few cans, and getting a used Voce and a cheap Stax transistor amp used. I'll finish my BH Crack by the Fall for the HD-600.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 52
I had old AkG Studios for ages and then collected like the Monty Python slogan "and now for something completely different..."
And in this case the one with the best value for money ratio.

Often with cuts feeling and some weird reviews and crazy stuff like RR1, K340, Sash tres and more.
Pretty happy now with what i got and not looking for anything new (well ok Perun Estats, a full modded SRM-t1 and maybe full K340 modding in the future but i plan on enjoying what i have rather than just being happy when i buy something new)

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 52
Sadly, my (initial) philosophy of owning 1 headphone for each use-case scenario, or more pertinently, each music genre, was thrown out of the window years ago.

These days, the hobby has become a quasi-obsession, and a handful has become dozens.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 52
I have none. Before every new purchase I am perfectly satisfied with every headphone I own. But then I get curious and mostly by looking at pictures. The Fidelio X3s are an example, I love their looks and I am pretty sure they will sound good.
Yes there a few requirements: they must be afforable, cost no more than 400 Euro and there must be a consensus that they are not bright and harsh sounding. And that's it.
If there is a methodology at all it only exists as an excuse afterwards for me to justify my unnecessary purchase.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 52
I started buying several headphones of different styles and use cases until I found out what I really like.
Open cans, closed, planar, dynamic
Then I got a few planars of different Sound signatures in the 1k price Region and aimed for a cost effective amp/dac stack from schiit.
At that time I thought this would be my endgame.

However, not too long ago I found the Meze Empyrean, which is everything I wanted my headphones to be. This changed everything.

Now I sold my other cans and aim for a really high end dac/amp combo to get the best out of the empyrean.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 52
This is a great topic. I'll list the questions below and answer from my experience.

• What’s your headphone collection methodology?
I think I'm different compared to most people in this hobby. I tend to look at discontinued products that go on sale in the used market, do a research on whether they're well received, what makes them popular, and will the sound signature be something I'd be interested in (mostly something that has good balance of bass, mids and treble). I started off trying to fill the two categories of closed-back and open-back.

I think for open-back, I'm pretty set with one high-end dynamic and planar (Focal Clear and HE-500). They're close in technicalities and tuning, but have enough differences for me to keep both.

For my closed-back set, I'm still kind of unsatisfied even though I have very good sounding pairs already (Audeze Sine and Alpha Dogs). So I'm still in search for that, but don't want to spend in the kilobuck ranges for it.

Other than that, I'm just interested in discontinued products that have great reputation and will keep looking at those (particularly in the mid-fi price ranges).

• Do you have some type of master plan to your purchases, and if so, what is it?
Not much, just curious if I can find a good sounding can in the mid-fi price range that can possibly takeover my current line-up and try other signatures that may change my preference in the long run. My open-back is already set and maybe open to test an estat somewhere in the future, but closed-back is still an open ball game for now.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 52
I don't try and get cans that have different focus (but I started that way). I have found I don't like closed, don't like "fun" cans, don't like very bright cans, don't like very dark cans, hate pumped up bass cans too.

I love the Voce the most of all cans I've heard, but can't afford that set-up. In order I bought (and kept) the HD-600, HE-500, HEX v2, HE6se - basically variations on a theme, also modded them, and added EQ which brings them all together a bit. I bought and sold: LCD2-F, X00 Mahogany, Alera, HE5se, (and way old: AKG 240, Stax 303, HD-650) and tried to sell 4XX, Fostex FH500RP.

I'm interested in the E2 and Arya - or - sell off a few cans, and getting a used Voce and a cheap Stax transistor amp used. I'll finish my BH Crack by the Fall for the HD-600.
Hm, something for me to think about, thanks! Your plan seems less about “checking boxes“ and more about a soundstage type.

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #13 of 52
I can second @smallcaps. The only time I really mix it up is what I use for my main music room. I like having different flavors of headphones depending on my mood that day or what I'm willing to deal with sound wise. Otherwise everything I have gear wise has a specific use/duty.
Geez, so simple yet effective a plan you guys have here. It never even occurred to me to build out situational and/or location based setups. I kinda like that idea too... thx!

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 52
Hm, something for me to think about, thanks! Your plan seems less about “checking boxes“ and more about a soundstage type.

It's a bit more complex, money too:

my new HD-600 cost me: $315 (classical/good recordings killer w/ BH Crack, soundsage OK on tubes meh on SS)
my used HE-500 cost me: $360 (rock/jazz/blues - great soundstage)
my used HEX v2 cost me: $712 (w/ EQ very cohesive sound, not for hard impact music)
my new HE6se cost me $699 (Burning with technicals, hard impact, soundstage fair)

With my two amps and 4 cans I can cover any music type and just about any mood, but outside of maybe the HD-600 - there are no polar opposites.

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 52
V shape - Grado GS1000
Warm - Sennheiser 650
comfy daily driver - Koss 95X with eq
Flat / Neutral - Focal Elex
Analytical / Match with tube amp - Audio Technica AD-X5000
Actually good warm - Meze Empyrean
Does everything - Abyss 1266 TC

The last 3 I don't have... yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back