What’s your headphone collection methodology? Do you have some type of master plan to your purchases, and if so, what is it?
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #16 of 52
V shape - Grado GS1000
Warm - Sennheiser 650
comfy daily driver - Koss 95X with eq
Flat / Neutral - Focal Elex
Analytical / Match with tube amp - Audio Technica AD-X5000
Actually good warm - Meze Empyrean
Does everything - Abyss 1266 TC

The last 3 I don't have... yet.
Nice.
I'm the opposite of an above poster where I'm always looking for warm dark pumped up bass fun cans. So the opposite of the hd800 and focal utopia. It's the Z1Rs and Empyreans all day.
I'm very happy with my selection now.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #17 of 52
I started buying several headphones of different styles and use cases until I found out what I really like.
Open cans, closed, planar, dynamic
Then I got a few planars of different Sound signatures in the 1k price Region and aimed for a cost effective amp/dac stack from schiit.
At that time I thought this would be my endgame.

However, not too long ago I found the Meze Empyrean, which is everything I wanted my headphones to be. This changed everything.

Now I sold my other cans and aim for a really high end dac/amp combo to get the best out of the empyrean.
Yes, the empys are absolutely stellar.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 52
First post!

I live in a noisy apartment with an A/C running 24/7 so all my headphones are closed.

Sony XM3: EQed to reduce bass. Used mainly for classical music since I can’t stand it when quiet passages are interrupted by outside noise. They don’t sound the best, obviously, but the immersion more than makes up for it. Looking at a companion noise-canceller soon: probably Shure or Sennheiser for sound quality. The Sonys make my ears way too hot and are uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Shure 1540: My all day work-from-home headphones. I can wear these all day with absolutely no listening fatigue or physical discomfort. They don’t isolate well enough for classical music, but with everything else it’s really a joy to have them on. For music with no quiet passages they isolate fine.

Sennheiser HD 300 Pro: Amazing seal and passive isolation. When playing normal music, these are every bit the equal of a noise-canceller in my situation. They are also insanely comfortable with huge ear cups - a big selling point for me. The sound is really analytical, accurate and clear. These are my preferred choice for classical, but the A/C has to be off and the window closed, otherwise that low rumble and road noise does me in.

JBL Synchros S700 with LiveStage DSP: Modded with 1540 pads, which fit perfectly in case anyone was wondering (the original pads are absolute trash, way too small). I use these for blasting psytrance with thunderous bass and for checking out old favorites with the DSP enabled. The bass on these is unbelievable. And on some tracks, like Highyway Star/Deep Purple, the DSP is actually pretty mind blowing. It just spreads the sound out in distinct points in space, really wild. Definitely a sleeper can if you find a cheap pair on EBay like I did.

I also own an AKG 702 but never use them.

Next purchase is probably Momentum 3 or Aonic 50 for classical music. And an end-game open back if I ever get a quiet place.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 52
First post!

I live in a noisy apartment with an A/C running 24/7 so all my headphones are closed.

Sony XM3: EQed to reduce bass. Used mainly for classical music since I can’t stand it when quiet passages are interrupted by outside noise. They don’t sound the best, obviously, but the immersion more than makes up for it. Looking at a companion noise-canceller soon: probably Shure or Sennheiser for sound quality. The Sonys make my ears way too hot and are uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Shure 1540: My all day work-from-home headphones. I can wear these all day with absolutely no listening fatigue or physical discomfort. They don’t isolate well enough for classical music, but with everything else it’s really a joy to have them on. For music with no quiet passages they isolate fine.

Sennheiser HD 300 Pro: Amazing seal and passive isolation. When playing normal music, these are every bit the equal of a noise-canceller in my situation. They are also insanely comfortable with huge ear cups - a big selling point for me. The sound is really analytical, accurate and clear. These are my preferred choice for classical, but the A/C has to be off and the window closed, otherwise that low rumble and road noise does me in.

JBL Synchros S700 with LiveStage DSP: Modded with 1540 pads, which fit perfectly in case anyone was wondering (the original pads are absolute trash, way too small). I use these for blasting psytrance with thunderous bass and for checking out old favorites with the DSP enabled. The bass on these is unbelievable. And on some tracks, like Highyway Star/Deep Purple, the DSP is actually pretty mind blowing. It just spreads the sound out in distinct points in space, really wild. Definitely a sleeper can if you find a cheap pair on EBay like I did.

I also own an AKG 702 but never use them.

Next purchase is probably Momentum 3 or Aonic 50 for classical music. And an end-game open back if I ever get a quiet place.

You can check out the ZMF Verite Closed for some end-game closed back headphones. These might also replace most open backs as well.

And welcome to the forum! Sorry about your wallet!

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #20 of 52
You can check out the ZMF Verite Closed for some end-game closed back headphones. These might also replace most open backs as well.

And welcome to the forum! Sorry about your wallet!
Did you just encourage him to go from a Momentum 3 to the Vérité Closed? Sorry about his wallet, indeed! :joy:

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 52
I think we all know how it goes. Better to not waste time and money!
That is true, I would have saved a lot if I jumped straight to a TOTL.

On the other hand I wouldnt have that much experience with other sound signatures now

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #24 of 52
I'm a bit of a cheapskate, i never had any headphone over US$100, and i kinda just get what i want to try out, i've started with the safe choices like the Creative Aurvana Live! 2 that i used for quite some time, then i decided to get adventurous and tried a JVC Ésnsy, loved it for a while, sold it, bought a Koss Pro4AAA Titanium, liked it a bit, unfortunately broke it (i still own it), i had a Sony MDR-XB920 for a little while, i also have a Sennheiser HD4.40BT which, while boring and non-adventurous, works really well for me.
More recently i've gotten into my head that i should buy a DJ headphone, because often i consider Vinyl equipment for DJs to make far more sense to buy instead of consumer equipment, i wanted to check out if the theory could still be true with headphones, so i ordered an AKG K267 Tiësto, i'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #25 of 52
I’ve noticed that whenever a noob asks a “what headphone do you recommend” type of question, it’s usually (rightly) followed by a more experienced person asking the appropriate questions needing answers before any advice can be given (what type of music do you listen to, what type of environment, etc.). Nuance, and listening situational considerations matter. To that end, as I continue to learn about this hobby, my (latest) thinking is that if you’re desire is to build out a HiFi home listening station, once you’ve established a solid foundation of “the basics” in regards to core equipment (good quality music sources either analog or digital, and a solid DAC/AMP either combined or separate units), in 2020, it’s really around the wide range of various headphones at a wide spectrum of price, build quality and frequency range emphasis, that allows you to have the most impact in both maximizing, and changing up, your listening situation. And it’s fun.

Is that how others here think about headphones, and a reason you may have a collection of more than a few? Here’s where I’m coming from: right now I have a pair of Audeze LCD-X’s, plan to get the ZMF Verite’s at some point this year after hearing them a couple of times at events last year, and my thought at this point is that I’ll then have a planar magnetic, a dynamic. To me, they sound different enough that I could indeed stop right there. But down the line at some point I’d like to get a closed-back, and maybe (no rush) dive into an electro-stat. Tubes will definitely be in my future, partly because of the Verites, and I know that will take me down a rabbit hole, but let’s put that aside for now. Anyway, as I started thinking about “future purchases”, I caught myself and thought about this overall question.

If you’re desire is to have a collection of headphones that don’t overlap in sound production at least too much, and each gives you something different that justifies on some level adding it to your collection, do you think about it from the perspective I just shared (one planar, one dynamic, etc), or is there another methodology you use to build out your collection? To add, my answer to “what music do you like and listen to?” would be an emphatic “Yes!” I’m an amateur guitarist, and truly love and listen to all types of music. Also, I know that finding ONE set of cans that you like and serves your needs is a valid plan, too! Empty consumerism and GAS isn’t the religion I’m preaching here, but just trying to understand if more experienced folks have thought about this and possibly have a mapped out methodology of some kind that I haven’t considered, for having more than one (or five, or ten) set of headphones, and can articulate why they have what they have.
No real strategy. Started with a Sony mdr-R10. Got stuck there, until recently where I am thinking of changing it for wireless.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 52
I think we all know how it goes. Better to not waste time and money!
True, true.

However, my own quest took me through the gamut of available budgets, from the economical to the extravagant, but not always in that particular order. Honestly, I think that my odyssey, which has yet to be completed, mind you, is just as fun as any provisional destination - or in this case, a pit stop, of sorts. Seeking all there is to discover can be very exciting, and I wouldn't begrudge anyone that opportunity to undertake this journey for themselves.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #28 of 52
Now,I'm fairly newish to higher end head-fi & I'm the complete opposite of most members.I don't want a half dozen pair of cans & 2-4 amps..I want 1 end game amp & 1 pair of really good all around cans & I like it integrated into my A/V system,no room in my small apartment for multiple stations but I am looking for portable BT5.0 cans to go with a new LG G8x..
I've managed to get some decent listening experience with several different flavors of tube & solid state amps,along with cans from Sennheiser(598/650/800),Audeze(LCD2F & LCD2C)& HiFIMan(400i/HE5 & Sundara) so I have a good grasp of different tunings.What I've learned along the way is I LOVE Pure Class A Single Ended tubes & Pure Class A Solid State,along with the electrostatic clarity & tonal purity of Planar Magnetics.Dynamics like the Senn's just sound slow & plodding to me now.Another thing is I am a HUGE believer in Trickle Down Tech & absolutely believe the best value & overall balance lies in the middle ranks of pretty much all manufacturers..
As for future direction,as I said,I'll spend the next 2-3 months digging & sifting through the high end reviews & get a shortlist of End Game headphones together that suit my system & personal tastes,then flip the Sundaras & go all in with about $3500.00 budget...

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #29 of 52
I’ve been mulling about my purchases in my first year of checking out audiophile gear.

Started with popular choices like HD660s and IFI Micro but I knew I wouldn’t be satisfied for long.

Im new to this hobby but not hobbies and I know better now to save and go in balls (within MY budget) deep rather than let my GAS consume me trying out cheaper components then wondering what else I’m missing.

One (or two) and done. I’m not a collector and I dislike clutter.

Funny that I’ve gotten some flack (and have read plenty) from some members that think people are idiots for going over their certain budgets.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 52
Funny that I’ve gotten some flack (and have read plenty) from some members that think people are idiots for going over their certain budgets.

Nothing is forever, so why not enjoy it while you can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back