What’s the Rationale?
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #91 of 105
I think the topic has been answered and this is arguably indirectly related to the topic. I’ve often heard audiophiles moan about compression, lambast those who apply it and demand recordings without any. The rationale being that more dynamic range is good, compression reduces dynamic range and causes the loudness war. So compression is poison, less is better, none at all is best. This is a faulty rationale, born out of ignorance, the actual rationale should be more like the rationale of oxygen; too much is poisonous and will kill you, but too little is equally lethal. There are exceedingly few recordings that would benefit from no compression, it is the most essential tool in the sound engineering arsenal next to EQ.

It is possible that the architecture/components are given more priority on “the balanced side over SE” and there are some examples of this. However, it would be quite rare for this to be great enough to cause audible issues. As is typical, audiophiles will ignore anything that might be perceptual error based and jump straight to some technicality which makes no difference that they can buy they way around (either with a more expensive audiophile product or an audiophile fix), while ignoring the actual facts. “In a well made system SE and balanced” do not sound the same, balanced is louder (typically 6dB) and also has slightly higher distortion, although not audibly more. And, a wider soundstage is a common perceptual side-effect/error of being louder.

G
I never stated “compressed” as an outright but to my ears “overly compressed” and overly loud,
I was responding to a request for anyone who’d heard the new album and was it worth buying .. I gave a personal opinion..
As an aside have you heard rhe Sweet song “Love is Like Oxygen” .. 😄

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #92 of 105
I never stated “compressed” as an outright but to my ears “overly compressed” and overly loud,
I was referring more to “audiophiles” in general, rather than you specifically and I haven’t heard the Stones’ album you were referring to, so don’t know if it’s appropriately compressed.
As an aside have you heard rhe Sweet song “Love is Like Oxygen” .. 😄
Yes, but not for years!

G

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #93 of 105
I was referring more to “audiophiles” in general, rather than you specifically and I haven’t heard the Stones’ album you were referring to, so don’t know if it’s appropriately compressed.

Yes, but not for years!

G
“Love is like oxygen, you get too much you get too high , not enough and you’re gonna die “ .. Lol
New stones album available in CD, Vinyl LP and 24/48 Dolby Atmos versions …. But 4x the CD price for 24/48 Atmos too rich for me for the particular album …

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #94 of 105
New stones album available in CD, Vinyl LP and 24/48 Dolby Atmos versions …
Do they do a Dolby Atmos version on vinyl LP? Imagine all that analogue fidelity/warmth/goodness in 7.1.4!! :)

4x the price for the Atmos version seems a bit excessive.

G

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #95 of 105
Do they do a Dolby Atmos version on vinyl LP? Imagine all that analogue fidelity/warmth/goodness in 7.1.4!! :)

4x the price for the Atmos version seems a bit excessive.

G
Deluxe box set including CD .. but so far the only way it’s available,
Have a Dolby Atmos setup with ceiling speakers for movies, and I’m sure I’d get more enjoyment from 3 x 4K BlueRay movies ..🙄
Strange how things link up in one’s mind ( or what’s in there masquerading as one) your reference to Oxygen linked straight to the sweet song and now going through my Sweet collection via headphones 🙄
It’s all your fault ! …. Lol

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #96 of 105
“Love is like oxy-gen. You get to much, you get too high. Not enough and you’re gonna die…”

Nov 20, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #99 of 105
I thought the Sweet was dumb when I was a kid, but now I really like them. Solid hooks, and their TV appearances are hilarious. I like glam that doesn't take itself oh so seriously. "Are you ready, Steve?" They put out a DVD box set that was fascinating. By the end they were playing amusement parks. Not a happy ending for them at all.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #100 of 105
Loud and compressed is part of the Stones’ signature sound since the 60s.
I would even like "Driving Me Too Hard" but the crackling annoys me too much. I can't comprehend why someone would want it on purpose, so on the one hand I like to believe it's a mistake that went unnoticed but on the other hand I can't really believe that such a mistake, in such an album, would go unnoticed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And in "Sweet Sound Of Heaven" it's almost comical. The first part feels like it tries to build up to a big finish, and the second part tries to end with even bigger finale. But there is no headroom for big finish or finale, so to me it's all the same and I'm left partly confused and partly amused.

Nov 21, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #101 of 105
I thought the Sweet was dumb when I was a kid, but now I really like them. Solid hooks, and their TV appearances are hilarious. I like glam that doesn't take itself oh so seriously. "Are you ready, Steve?" They put out a DVD box set that was fascinating. By the end they were playing amusement parks. Not a happy ending for them at all.
Some bands got the short end of the stick, watched a doco on the Easybeats … early formation in Australia, couple of local hits then off to the UK, No1 hit with Friday On My Mind and a couple of others, did a US tour, back to the UK then back to Australia for a final tour before disbanding, groups affairs wound up and they ended up with less than £1,000 each … 🙄

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #102 of 105
Happened to be in the store the day it was released, so I thought “ why not” .. if you’re a Stones fan I’d say “Yes” ..
In isolation, lyrics in some tracks are interesting, others quite simple, musicianship is great .. (as it should be by now) 😬
Downside of the CD release is the usual loud, compressed recording typical of modern releases ..
Update.
One of those albums that grows on you … first couple of plays were via desktop system, then headphones, followed by the car system (which is no slouch) and finally on my main system relaxing with a coffee … impressive ….
Change initial impression to “Recommended” … 😄

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #103 of 105
I've seen this website long ago, perhaps 10 years ago or so. I think its fake, just a wink to us, scientists, and if ever only one buys their magic stone, they'll laugh themselves to death. I wonder if the Altmann Tera player is the same wink that has gone terribly wrong as quite some headfiers bought the screenless DAP of a mere $3000 for its analogue sound. The dear Altmann even sellsells a portable amp, powered by a car battery, the amp itself is built on a small wood. It's hilarious.

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #104 of 105
I've seen this website long ago, perhaps 10 years ago or so. I think its fake, just a wink to us, scientists, and if ever only one buys their magic stone, they'll laugh themselves to death.
What’s so disconcerting is that it’s so difficult to tell. It is of course ludicrous, so ludicrous that any even very modestly knowledgeable person would naturally assume it to be satirical, a parody. Unfortunately, there are so many similarly ludicrous products/sites that are actually real, that we can’t rely on that natural assumption.

Incidentally, I particularly liked this assertion, which is actually true: “New Dark Matter NDM, the newest product from Machina Dynamica, is the only audio product that absorbs both visible scattered laser light and invisible scattered light in CD players…” - Baring in mind a CD player works by reading the scattered (reflected) laser light, a product that absorbs the scattered laser light would therefore completely stop a CD player from working. So if it’s real, I’m pretty sure this is in fact “the only audio product” designed to stop CD Players from working! lol

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back