What’s the Rationale?
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

gregorio

Headphoneus Supremus
Intermediate report: the Tubulus Concentus clock cable is burning-in nicely and really shows its calibre in terms of fine detail, soundstage, note decay and lack of sibilance. The bass is wonderfully potent, too.
This is just an example post but is not uncommon. Ignoring the fact you can’t “burn-in” a cable, presumably they are aware that it’s a clock cable and therefore only carrying a clock signal, which doesn’t have any “fine detail, soundstage, note decay”, sibilance or bass?

So, what is the rationale for improved “soundstage, note decay”, etc., caused by a cable in a signal that doesn’t have any of these properties and that’s not being listened to anyway? Is there even a rationale or is it just a case of: I believed I heard these improvements in another, completely different signal and that’s the end of the story, I have no rationale?

G

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 105
When people believe they are burning-in cables, headphones, amps and what not, they are in fact burning-in their ears, biases, expectations and placebo effect. That's the rationale.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 105
When people believe they are burning-in cables, headphones, amps and what not, they are in fact burning-in their ears, biases, expectations and placebo effect. That's the rationale.
I’m not talking about the (faulty) rationale of cable burn-in but the rationale of a cable carrying a signal that is not a digital audio signal, does not have any of the properties (real or perceivable) claimed and is not the signal being output or listened to anyway.

G

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 105
I’m not talking about the (faulty) rationale of cable burn-in but the rationale of a cable carrying a signal that is not a digital audio signal, does not have any of the properties (real or perceivable) claimed and is not the signal being output or listened to anyway.

G
The concept of burn-in is deeply engrained in this hobby. I suspect the origins are a pragmatic ploy to get people to accept purchasing something that does nothing.
And so what. If someone wants to spend $¢£€1000.00 on a something, fine.
Not. My. Problem.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 105
This is just an example post but is not uncommon. Ignoring the fact you can’t “burn-in” a cable, presumably they are aware that it’s a clock cable and therefore only carrying a clock signal, which doesn’t have any “fine detail, soundstage, note decay”, sibilance or bass?

So, what is the rationale for improved “soundstage, note decay”, etc., caused by a cable in a signal that doesn’t have any of these properties and that’s not being listened to anyway? Is there even a rationale or is it just a case of: I believed I heard these improvements in another, completely different signal and that’s the end of the story, I have no rationale?

G

Tubulus Concentus BNC Clock Cable​

Very neutral and detailed BNC clock cable with lots of tranquility and a transparent, open and wide stereo image!
I spare you the rest of the propaganda, but it’s straight from the horse’s official website.
They’re adorable.

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 105
I spare you the rest of the propaganda, but it’s straight from the horse’s official website.
They’re adorable.
Thanks but I still don’t get the rationale. A “detailed BNC clock cable” is not carrying a stereo signal so what’s the rationale for any sort of stereo image, let alone a “transparent, open and wide” one?

G

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 105
ill-tell-you.gif

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 105
I'm a fan of this:
Less Loss
Yes, very funny but I get the rationale behind most of them, even though it’s nonsense. I like the “Blackbody” “ambient field conditioner”, I might get one for the next time I’m listening to music in a field with a lot of ambience. How does it condition the field though, do you attach it to the back of a tractor and use it like a plough? lol

G

Sep 22, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 105
presumably they are aware that it’s a clock cable and therefore only carrying a clock signal, which doesn’t have any “fine detail, soundstage, note decay”, sibilance or bass?

So, what is the rationale for improved “soundstage, note decay”, etc., caused by a cable in a signal that doesn’t have any of these properties and that’s not being listened to anyway?
I assume they don't mean that the clock cable itself literally has these properties, but that the cable transports a clock signal with so much precision that the system as a whole can display these properties (provided the rest of the system doesn't have any weak links messing it up, and a good recording is used).
And of course that probably isn't a lie, probably their cable can do that (as well as any $1 cable with the right properties).

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 105
Yes, I know there’s always been a number of ridiculous audiophile products, even before the famous “green marker pen”. I’m asking for the rationale behind the claims for clock cables though. I assumed there must be one but if so, I don’t know what it is. The gif posted by @castleofargh indicates he doesn’t know either and implies there simply isn’t one. IE. There’s just empty claims but nothing that explains or gives a reason for them, even just a nonsense reason.
I assume they don't mean that the clock cable itself literally has these properties, but that the cable transports a clock signal with so much precision that the system as a whole can display these properties …
So the rationale is that a cable introduces so much jitter that it affects details, note durations, stereo image and bass, and this particular (magical) cable introduces less jitter? Obviously that’s nonsense but even if it were true it still doesn’t make any sense because no cable (just a connection to internal clocking circuitry) would obviously introduce no cable induced jitter at all and be better still wouldn’t it?

G

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 105
If someone wants to spend $¢£€1000.00 on a something, fine.
Not. My. Problem.
Snake oil can cost much more than $¢£€1000.00

Previously I thought these things aren't my problem, but now I am not sure about it. Snake oil products/market may affect non-snake oil products/market.

Sep 23, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 105
Yes, very funny but I get the rationale behind most of them, even though it’s nonsense. I like the “Blackbody” “ambient field conditioner”, I might get one for the next time I’m listening to music in a field with a lot of ambience. How does it condition the field though, do you attach it to the back of a tractor and use it like a plough? lol

G

Maybe this calls for a new description @castleofargh ? Gregorio: Outstanding in his field.

:relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back