What’s everyone using for desktop speakers?
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #76 of 105
Like to purchase really small pair of super efficient desktop speakers for tiny living space to use w/ Macbook, JRiver and Hugo 2 when not enjoying my AFC headphones. Problem is am clueless what to buy or how to set it up.

Take a look at the Audioengine A2+. Very compact. Good highs and mids, with decent imaging for near fields. Don't expect big bass if your trying to fill a room with sound though.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #77 of 105
I my desktop has been evolving for years now.... Here is what I did when I finally decided to go all out. Audience 1+1 V2's.

No desk.... its really my drum rack.

58cd9821ddbf8_Picture1.jpg.763c7f48b64d4af550799ed562f9e292.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #78 of 105
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #79 of 105
Like to purchase really small pair of super efficient desktop speakers for tiny living space to use w/ Macbook, JRiver and Hugo 2 when not enjoying my AFC headphones. Problem is am clueless what to buy or how to set it up.
There are many great options out there for what you're looking for. If I was in your position I'd keep my eyes out for the upcoming release of the SVS Prime Wireless Speakers. They are self powered so you don't need to worry about buying a speaker amp/receiver. As well as being equipped with all sorts of inputs and outputs so that you can run literally whatever you want with them, including a subwoofer if you want more bass.

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #80 of 105
Dynaudio BM6 nearfield monitors. If I find a single set of headphones with the same signature it'll be lights for me

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #81 of 105

These speakers are phase coherent ..like headphones are phase coherent....
https://nsmt-loudspeakers.com/content/model-5-ax

And, they are set at a height designed for desktop use... These are true audiophile in nature.
Two choices. Self powered, or use your own amp...
model-5-ax

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #82 of 105
As expressed in previous post - looking for super efficient desktop speakers and want to use Hugo 2 to power as well as the Hugo 2's DAC. Desktop speakers mentioned by repliers not good for me in that they are one or both of the following: 1. wireless (limits file resolution and I have many high resolution files) or 2. Powered - because they almost always include their own DAC which I don'r want or need and I want to drive desktop speakers off Hugo 2's less very low available power which obviously is intended to be used to drive headphones by majority of owners. Two recommended speakers mentioned have sensitivity of 86. Those won't be powered properly by Hugo 2's low power. Thinking what I seek not available - that is small desktop speakers which are 1. wired, 2. passive, 3. can be connected and powered by Hugo 2 (hence super efficient) and allow using Hugo 2 internal DAC. People have been using some very efficient single driver larger speakers with Hugo, Hugo 2 and Dave for awhile - I'm just after a desktop size version. Wireless audio speakers/system hold no attraction for me. That's not to say I don't appreciate those who replied thinking they had an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #83 of 105
As expressed in previous post - looking for super efficient desktop speakers and want to use Hugo 2 to power as well as the Hugo 2's DAC. Desktop speakers mentioned by repliers not good for me in that they are one or both of the following: 1. wireless (limits file resolution and I have many high resolution files) or 2. Powered - because they almost always include their own DAC which I don'r want or need and I want to drive desktop speakers off Hugo 2's less very low available power which obviously is intended to be used to drive headphones by majority of owners. Two recommended speakers mentioned have sensitivity of 86. Those won't be powered properly by Hugo 2's low power. Thinking what I seek not available - that is small desktop speakers which are 1. wired, 2. passive, 3. can be connected and powered by Hugo 2 (hence super efficient) and allow using Hugo 2 internal DAC. People have been using some very efficient single driver larger speakers with Hugo, Hugo 2 and Dave for awhile - I'm just after a desktop size version. Wireless audio speakers/system hold no attraction for me. That's not to say I don't appreciate those who replied thinking they had an answer.
I don't know exactly how you are going to power passive speakers with the Hugo 2? The Hugo 2 doesn't have terminals for speaker power on it. To use your Hugo 2 with passive speakers you'd need to get a preamp, as well as an amp. Something like a Chord TToby paired with a Hugo TT/TT 2 would work. Or in the case of Schiit products a Sys/Saga with a Vidar.

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #84 of 105

I think you're a little confused. Active speakers have their own amp - most don't include a DAC. The amplifier used in active monitors is specifically designed to be used with those speakers. You've been given some pretty good choices as far as actives go. I use my LSR305's together with an iDSD > iTube combo, and couldn't be happier.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #85 of 105

Powered speakers rarely include their own DAC. It's not even a standard feature on consumer grade powered speakers, let alone pro monitors. Passive or active, why would you use the Hugo's output stage to drive the speakers when it has a line out? And even if you do use a speaker that includes a DAC (or even BT), it's not like you're forced to use only digital input when they still have analogue inputs.

The problem with very high efficiency speakers is that either they're cheap with jagged if not narrow response, and though some can be good, they're usually active speakers meant for a small desk workspace (and some better ones use passive bass radiators), or they're very expensive passive units in gigantic cabinets (considering the driver diameter) that just offsets the smaller driver size, like Fostex, Dayton, TangBand, etc raw drivers in desktop size transmission line enclosures that are jsut a large as 2-way standmounts. Not all even have over 92dB/1W at 1M sensitivity; with the real advantage being that 1) if under 1M away, point source gets past possible time alignment issues, often not even requiring that the speakers to be at the height of the listener's head, and 2) given you'll be under 1M distance away, 2W can get loud enough as long as it has to work with a 2V input signal.

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #86 of 105
Interesting replies especially ProtegeManiac's reply. Talk of using Hugo 2 with external amplification, active speakers and/or external amplifier has been discussed elsewhere I recall on head-fi, with some stating many external amplifiers compromise the quality the Hugo 2 delivers better as a standalone device. The little Benchmark amplifier has gotten praise for how stunningly clear it sounds with Chord DAC's. Hugo 2 with Benchmark amp means one can easily power lower efficiency standmount and/or larger desktop speakers with authority. The smallest Harbeth speakers I owned in past could be used as desktop speakers with the Benchmark. Speakers like most audio components, are a matter of preference. No doubt there are more affordable amps and speakers than the aforementioned that would achieve good matching results too. Thank you for replies.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #87 of 105
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #88 of 105
I am currently waiting for the Omega Super 3 i speakers to check if they can be driven by Hugo 2 alone for desk top scenario. All you need is to have audio cable terminated with RCA on one side.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #90 of 105
I am currently waiting for the Omega Super 3i speakers to check if they can be driven by Hugo 2 alone for desk top scenario. All you need is to have audio cable terminated with RCA on one side.

Sure you realize Omega says Super 3i for use with as little as two watts. Of course other factors come into play, such as listening room, listening distance from speakers, satisfaction with lower volumes, etc. Chord Dave would seem to be well matched with Super 3i. Post again with your impressions and your listening room dimensions and setup after you've spent some time with the Hugo 2 and Super 3i's. What desktop stand will you place under the Super 3i's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back