Wet Shaving
Aug 12, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #211 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of these days when I'm finished spending money on this crazy hobby, I'd love to pick up Merkur Futur.

Do you think that day will ever come???

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #212 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently started traditional wet shaving. I picked up Proraso shave cream, Proraso pre/post shave cream and a Merkur 1904 & Personna blades. I already had a shaving brush from years ago...(I'm old!)

I read various threads on Badger & Blade and watched the youtube Mantic59 wet shaving videos. I'm having a hard time getting a close shave though. After 3-4 passes it's not close at all and I've had to finish up with a disposable razor!
eek.gif

A member on B & B offered to send me a few blades to try out and I've rec'd a few tips for a closer shave. I'll keep at it.

Has anyone else here had problems learning how to use a DE razor properly?

I bought a Gillette Fat Boy on that auction sire...I'm anxious to give it a try as it's adjustable...

Welcome!
Give yourself some time to adjust to the technique. It took me some 2-3 weeks to get used to it, and another 2-3 weeks to get constant smooth/close shaves.

The gear make a difference as well, especially the blade and razor. I have tried handfuls of both and ended up with a 1958 Gillette Adjustable (Fat Boy) with Crystal (Israel) blades.

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #213 of 277
[size=x-large]Success!!![/size]

Everything clicked this morning. I did a two pass shave and ended up with a close to BBS shave!!!
w00t.gif
w00t.gif

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave, and I've NEVER looked forward to the next day's shave before!
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #214 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome!
Give yourself some time to adjust to the technique. It took me some 2-3 weeks to get used to it, and another 2-3 weeks to get constant smooth/close shaves.

The gear make a difference as well, especially the blade and razor. I have tried handfuls of both and ended up with a 1958 Gillette Adjustable (Fat Boy) with Crystal (Israel) blades.

I'm still waiting for the Fat Boy, hopefully it will arrive soon! The date code is E4 so it was manufactured the 4th quarter of 1959.

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #215 of 277
Oh hey! this thread is back... you guys might find this interesting. I've been using the same dorco blade since May 1st and I'm still waiting for it to get dull. It hasn't even been taken out of my DE yet it's not rusted or dull, I still get BBS results (1 ATG pass). I did this test to see if I changed my blades too often (every week) and I've come to the conclusion that I definitely have been!

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #216 of 277
It must have dulled some, right?
With disposables I usually don't notice that it's dull until it starts pulling if I have longer stubble. At which point I change blades and can't believe how sharp they start out as and how much easier it is to shave with
tongue.gif

I've got a blade sampler pack coming from West Coast Shaving, should be here in a few weeks (but hopefully less); it's coming by slow and steady surface shipping, which is deceptively called "First Class" over there in the States. It caught me out first time I chose "First Class", but I'm now a little wiser
tongue.gif

I'll try the DE razor again when they arrive and might also keep an eye out on eBay for different razors I could try.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #217 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must have dulled some, right?
With disposables I usually don't notice that it's dull until it starts pulling if I have longer stubble. At which point I change blades and can't believe how sharp they start out as and how much easier it is to shave with
tongue.gif

I've got a blade sampler pack coming from West Coast Shaving, should be here in a few weeks (but hopefully less); it's coming by slow and steady surface shipping, which is deceptively called "First Class" over there in the States. It caught me out first time I chose "First Class", but I'm now a little wiser
tongue.gif

I'll try the DE razor again when they arrive and might also keep an eye out on eBay for different razors I could try.

I'm sure it's dulled a bit but it's still totally useable

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #218 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh hey! this thread is back... you guys might find this interesting. I've been using the same dorco blade since May 1st and I'm still waiting for it to get dull. It hasn't even been taken out of my DE yet it's not rusted or dull, I still get BBS results (1 ATG pass). I did this test to see if I changed my blades too often (every week) and I've come to the conclusion that I definitely have been!

That is a long time indeed.
No idea how often you shave your legs, but the type of hair seems to make a real difference to blade longevity. Facial hair may be stiffer/thicker than leg hair.

But as long as it gets the job done...
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #221 of 277
Quote:

[size=x-large]Success!!![/size]

Everything clicked this morning. I did a two pass shave and ended up with a close to BBS shave!!!
w00t.gif
w00t.gif

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave, and I've NEVER looked forward to the next day's shave before!
beerchug.gif

I was the same way with my first close and bloodless shave. With the cool gadgets and the incredible shave cream/soaps that are involved with wetshaving, how could you not look forward to the next shave.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #222 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do you buy these from?

eBay, Badger & Blade FS forum, local antique/second hand store, ...
Not like they are hard to get hold of.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Gillette+Fat+Boy

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #223 of 277
Aug 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #224 of 277
Quote:

If anyone is looking for a Gillette Fat Boy read the thread below from Badger & Blade. A lot of sellers incorrectly list razors as Fat Boys. It tells you what to look for to ensure it's a Fat Boy razor.

Newbie how to tell a Slim from a Fatboy Guide ( and other things ) - Badger & Blade

Very instructive guide. I found that what I had thought was a Fatboy was in fact a Slim. Now I know.

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #225 of 277
I'm still learning too. I recently found that, despite being heavily right-handed, shaving the right side of my neck was cleaner using my left hand. Must be something about getting the angle right.

I'm still working my way through my West Coast variety pack. I'm not a big fan of the Merkurs, but I liked the Personna reds. I think I'll start the Feathers in a couple of weeks.

I tried some Burts Bees cream, but it wasn't as nice as using the Art of Shaving brush cream I've been using. The Burts Bees goes on like sunscreen and didn't seem to lubricate as well or leave my skin as nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back