Wet Shaving
Dec 10, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #151 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here use a straight razor and can recommend a good place to get one?
I've been thinking about getting one just for the experience of it.

I enjoy the ritual of shaving, even if mine is not so elaborate as some here. I use a Gillette Sensor, but it feels a little light to me. Hard to get a razor these days with a good solid feel to it. Those vintage razors in the first two posts look like they would be really nice to use

General Straight Razor Talk - Badger & Blade

A whole forum just for straights.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #153 of 277
Wow this thread is getting long. One thing that I'm impressed with with the wetshaving community is their generosity. A few times I've said I was interested in trying a soap/cream whatever and a few minutes later I usually have a PM of someone who wants to send me a sample or even a whole container. I can't wait until I have enough stuff to start PIFing my noobie gear away.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #154 of 277
I agree, they are a great community. I have posted a little on shavemyface also, but I think I prefer B&B. Although that's mostly because they use the same forum engine as head-fi, and this is, by far, the best forum software I've every used.

So what are your favorites so far Gatto?

I'm using a Merkur 38c razor, a mix of some Old Spice lime cream and Mama Bear's hydrogen soap, and witch hazel then Nivea Extreme Comfort as my after shave. For blades, I still haven't settled on one yet. I know I HATE the Merkur Platinum blades. I'm trying out the Derby Extras right now, and they are definitely better then the Merkurs for me, but I have a whole sampler pack to try out still
smily_headphones1.gif
My process for blade evaluation is to swap between two at a time, and the winner moves on to the next round.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #155 of 277
Yeah, very generous. I signed up on two site and posted on a free razor on one, and before they guy replied I had a PM from another guy saying he was glad I was interested in learning to shave properly at a younger age, and was happy to share some stuff with me. Then on another forum in the same day I posted on a starter package and got that too, shipping paid on both ($30 and $40!)
eek.gif

Still using the stuff regularly now
biggrin.gif
Pics from page 2.

P6090399.jpg

P6100408.jpg

P6100407.jpg

Very grateful
smily_headphones1.gif

Matt

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #156 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, they are a great community. I have posted a little on shavemyface also, but I think I prefer B&B. Although that's mostly because they use the same forum engine as head-fi, and this is, by far, the best forum software I've every used.

So what are your favorites so far Gatto?

I'm using a Merkur 38c razor, a mix of some Old Spice lime cream and Mama Bear's hydrogen soap, and witch hazel then Nivea Extreme Comfort as my after shave. For blades, I still haven't settled on one yet. I know I HATE the Merkur Platinum blades. I'm trying out the Derby Extras right now, and they are definitely better then the Merkurs for me, but I have a whole sampler pack to try out still
smily_headphones1.gif
My process for blade evaluation is to swap between two at a time, and the winner moves on to the next round.
wink.gif

Right now I'm using soap from a place called chelsea's soap garden, they are clay based soaps with great scents! a few people are sending me things, right now I'm waiting on a tabac puck and a jar of HBS lilac! I like Col Conk soaps too but they don't seem to do a good job for guys. I use that same weishi razor, I bought a lady gillette but it is going on ebay right back from where it came, I like crystal blades and dorcos. I also definitely prefer shaving soap over creams, creams get too wet and take too long to prep. With soap I just get my brush all soapy and use it, no bowl/palm lathering required.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #157 of 277
Yeah, members on these wet shaving forums are very generous indeed!
Guess its a trick to get you hooked!
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #158 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I'm using soap from a place called chelsea's soap garden, they are clay based soaps with great scents! a few people are sending me things, right now I'm waiting on a tabac puck and a jar of HBS lilac! I like Col Conk soaps too but they don't seem to do a good job for guys. I use that same weishi razor, I bought a lady gillette but it is going on ebay right back from where it came, I like crystal blades and dorcos. I also definitely prefer shaving soap over creams, creams get too wet and take too long to prep. With soap I just get my brush all soapy and use it, no bowl/palm lathering required.

I use a big mug to make my lather. I have no interest in trying it on my palm. Since I usually do at least 2 passes, I would have to rebuild the lather in my palm each time. The same would be true for lathering directly on my face.

I actually think my badger brush is too soft. I'm gonna pick up one of the brushes Wal-Mart sells. They are boar hair I believe and should be a little stiffer. They're also cheap, so I won't have to spend a lot on the experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, members on these wet shaving forums are very generous indeed!
Guess its a trick to get you hooked!
smile.gif

I think it's because of how economical/efficient these products are. A soap or cream will last for many months. A pack of 5 blades will last for a month on average. So if you have a soap, cream, or blade you don't use or like, you might as well pass it along to someone that will use it. Since they are pretty cheap to begin with, it's not worth trying to sell them.

I'm not trying to diminish the generosity though. The folks on B&B are indeed very generous. I just think the nature of the hobby makes it easier. We don't get a lot of folks here giving away headphones or amps
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #159 of 277
I'm about to enter the world of wet shaving and have been browsing the shaving forums for tips on getting started - there's a lot of good info out there.

I still need to pick up my supplies (except for the razor itself). I have my grandfather's 1930's Gillette DE razor, which I just cleaned up. (Yes, I stripped the gold finish on the copper parts in cleaning, but the finish was already ruined)

429692387_A2hjH-L.jpg

My motivation for getting into it was a recent gift from a friend of a straight razor:

431332425_2a54v-L.jpg

I figured I would get used to the wet shaving concept and get good at the process with a DE before trying the straight.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #160 of 277
Nothing beats the straight razor IMHO but you usually have to sharpen them as they are never sharp fresh out of the factory. I had to use a 12,000 grit water stone to get it super sharp, then strop it on leather.

Straight razors don't seem hard to use as people say. It's no different from how I use my Mach3. I think the main issue is that some people cut lengthwise, which leaves a bloody gash.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #161 of 277
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured I would get used to the wet shaving concept and get good at the process with a DE before trying the straight.

I have no interest in using a straight, but that's the feeling I get. Going straight to a straight
wink.gif
sounds like it might be frustrating and probably bloody
tongue.gif

Since switching to a DE razor, I have learned how my beard actually grows. My shaves get better and better as I learn which directions my whiskers grow on different parts of my face. With the old cartridges, I just pressed hard against my face and made a dozen passes. I can get an equal or better shave now with 2 or 3 passes, and the 3rd pass is usually only to touch up couple areas. Lately I've been able to get a better shave then the cartidge razors provided with only 2 passes.

Then of course there is the enjoyment of the ritual itself. I actually look forward to shaving these days
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #162 of 277
I am definitely going to try a straight this summer when I have the time. I just got a bar of Tabac today, good stuff!

Dec 13, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #163 of 277
just bought myself a few vintage straights.
I'm so excited to get started at learning the art of straight shaving. Of course, this brings about the old upgraditus. My canned shaving cream isn't looking so good anymore...

Dec 26, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #164 of 277
Guess what I got for Christmas!

A Chrome Weishi DE razor, Wilkin Sword blades, Windsor badger hair brush, Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad shave soap, and some moisturiser from L'Occitane.

I had a shave yesterday and enjoyed lathering with the brush and soap. I found it hard to get a close shave without going against the grain and without applying pressure to the razor. Cheeks were fine, but I still had trouble with under my chin.

I'll have to practice a bit I guess. I think my facial hair is fine, or at least not that thick and I find I get a better shave after 2 days growth so that there's more length for a razor to grab a hold of, otherwise I think it just pushes the hairs over without cutting enough unless I go against the grain.

Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow, see how I go and hope the wet shaving think works out for me.

The straight approach seems possible dangerous, but looks pretty awesome and manly
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back