Westone W80
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #1,411 of 1,446
Ah, I should have been more upfront but the reason I asked is that I broke the connector on my left earpiece a while back trying to fix the annoying mmcx dropout problems. So I do have a spare right W60 earpiece if you are interested, however I believe they are manufactured as matched pairs so the balance may be a bit off. I thought about having them reshelled but I don't think it's worth it. To my ears, the W80 is a big improvement on the somewhat muffled-sounding W60 (I actually prefer the W40) so I think you will be pleased with the upgrade anyway.
How do you feel about the W80's mid-bass exaggeration? It must be somewhere between 100 and 250hz. Regardless of what device I connect my W80 IEMs to, I always go right to the equalizer and start fiddling with that area. I generally have to lower it around 5dB, sometimes even more, to get rid of it.

It's not MUDDY at all, and even the word _bloated_ has too negative a connotation, as it's clean and clear and full, but it's just too much, too loud. The frequency seems to be right within the region that makes your head feel like it's full of cotton, and it's almost impossible to discern what instrument is even making the sound, it's just an amorphous blob of clean, smooth, unnecessary mid-bass.

I'm assuming they tuned it like this to add "warmth" and "fullness" to the sound signature, which works, but the moment you're listening critically, it's just a distraction. For me, I mean.

I'm wondering if you have noticed anything personally.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,412 of 1,446
Ah, I should have been more upfront but the reason I asked is that I broke the connector on my left earpiece a while back trying to fix the annoying mmcx dropout problems. So I do have a spare right W60 earpiece if you are interested, however I believe they are manufactured as matched pairs so the balance may be a bit off. I thought about having them reshelled but I don't think it's worth it. To my ears, the W80 is a big improvement on the somewhat muffled-sounding W60 (I actually prefer the W40) so I think you will be pleased with the upgrade anyway.
Many thanks for the thought - much appreciated. With EQ I found the sound of the w60 pretty decent, certainly for travel in noisy environments where critical listening is impossible and excellent fit more important. They certainly don’t owe me anything after years of service and I hope the replacements will be even better!

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,413 of 1,446
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,415 of 1,446
If those other IEMs can go down comfortably to 5hz, then I say you're in good standing.
I ordered 7hz timeless ae (planar) and moondrop blessing 3 (2DD 4BA) on amazon to see how comparable they are. Easily returnable

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,416 of 1,446
I ordered 7hz timeless ae (planar) and moondrop blessing 3 (2DD 4BA) on amazon to see how comparable they are. Easily returnable
Blessing 3's came today. I do NOT like them. Uncomfortable. Sibilant. Not very pleasing to listen to. High notes were very fatiguing while listening to a hi-res SACD rip of "Chameleon". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like earphones that apparently graph well to the Harman curve. I could hear details pretty well (eg cymbals decayed nicely) but they didn't feel good, is what I feel. They may or may not graph well, but the listening experience felt Chinese. :frowning2:

Returning the Moondrop Blessing 3
Will see how the Timeless AE's are when they arrive.

If those other IEMs can go down comfortably to 5hz, then I say you're in good standing.
Moondrop Blessing 3 has a FR of 10Hz-30kHz
Westone W80 has a FR of 5Hz-22kHz

Definitely felt like the W80 had better low end and that I could maybe hear more from the high-end in the Moondrop Blessing 3.

The Timeless AE has an FR of 5 Hz – 40 kHz. Shall report back when they arrive next week. Likely to return the W80's as well since the Blessing 3 made me appreciate the seemingly greater detail

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,418 of 1,446
The W80 V3 is on sale at Adorama for $349... Very tempting...

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #1,421 of 1,446
The W80 V3 is on sale at Adorama for $349... Very tempting...
For comfort as well as frequency response, and darker tuning, I don't think you'd be disappointed. I'm wearing mine as I write this, listening to Godslave's Unseen Storm. Treble, mids, mid-bass, sub-bass. It's all there, and beautifully rendered.

I bought mine for almost double that price and don't regret it at all. Then again, I haven't heard how supposedly amazing all these chi-fi IEMs are either, so. . . ignorance is bliss. :beerchug:

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #1,422 of 1,446
Hi all, this just happened...

Any help how to repair? Works great but connector post snapped clean when putting in ear. Contacted Westone and they no longer repair universal series. Has anyone had this happen to their W80s? Has anyone evernfixed this same circumstance?

Any guidance to share is appreciated...

Attachments

• 20240102_133939.jpg
    20240102_133939.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 2, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #1,423 of 1,446

Any help how to repair? Works great but connector post snapped clean when putting in ear. Contacted Westone and they no longer repair universal series. Has anyone had this happen to their W80s? Has anyone evernfixed this same circumstance?

Try Bondic UV glue - https://www.amazon.com/Bondic-Activated-Waterproof-Resistant-Adhesive/dp/B018IBEHQU/
I've actually used it to create a new nozzle stem on a JH IEM. Superglue might also do in a pinch, just be sure to use one that is safe on plastics.

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,424 of 1,446

Might have to just take rantng's suggestion. I'm personally paranoid of my nozzle breaking so I'm very careful, but I didn't think it would actually happen! Some proper glue should work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back