Westone W80
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #1,307 of 1,446
I’ve tried with v2 with no issues
I've been able to remove the cables...and paid the price with sore thumbs and fingers. Honestly it's left me gun-shy. I have them sitting in a case right now with no cables attached. It's possible it will loosen up over time, but the small shells, with barely any surface area to grasp, as well as the tight connectors makes for really difficult cable swaps. Even the MMCX removal tool (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001793566564.html) isn't working. I have (many) other IEMs that I'm considering selling these, with a caveat to prospective buyers. My current method is to use those grippy bottle-opening towels to hold the W80 & cable.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,308 of 1,446
I actually had quite a few people asking me about this as well in PMs and Messenger. So, I came up with a trick some of you might find useful for these mmcx cables with Westone IEMs - use a guitar pick :wink: First, turn the cable/connector in a socket to loosen it up and get rid of any grit. Then, jam and wiggle a guitar pick to separate the cable. Works for me!

1635775961838.png

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #1,309 of 1,446
I actually had quite a few people asking me about this as well in PMs and Messenger. So, I came up with a trick some of you might find useful for these mmcx cables with Westone IEMs - use a guitar pick :wink: First, turn the cable/connector in a socket to loosen it up and get rid of any grit. Then, jam and wiggle a guitar pick to separate the cable. Works for me!
Cool trick - I was going to test couple cables with the W80, and did not even know I was going to have a challenge removing the stock cable...
I guess I gotta get a guitar pick!
@twister6 - I never played a guitar or owned a guitar pick... Do they come in different thickness or materials? If so - what should I look for?

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,310 of 1,446
Cool trick - I was going to test couple cables with the W80, and did not even know I was going to have a challenge removing the stock cable...
@twister6 - I never played a guitar or owned a guitar pick... Do they come in different thickness or materials? If so - what should I look for?
A stiffish credit card will do as well...

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,311 of 1,446

Tbh, don't know much about guitar picks, but since you mentioned it, this one has 0.88mm printed on top, probably the thickness. I had a small bag of these picks that came with a toy guitar I got for my kids years ago. Never had a use for it until now. Credit card might work as well, but with guitar picks the edge is narrowed down.

Btw, since you are on Lucid Audio side, any discussions if IPX connector going to propagate from Ety to Westone?

Nov 1, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,312 of 1,446
I've been able to remove the cables...and paid the price with sore thumbs and fingers. Honestly it's left me gun-shy. I have them sitting in a case right now with no cables attached. It's possible it will loosen up over time, but the small shells, with barely any surface area to grasp, as well as the tight connectors makes for really difficult cable swaps. Even the MMCX removal tool (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001793566564.html) isn't working. I have (many) other IEMs that I'm considering selling these, with a caveat to prospective buyers. My current method is to use those grippy bottle-opening towels to hold the W80 & cable.
This is funny because I had sore thumbs and fingers too!

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,313 of 1,446
Btw, since you are on Lucid Audio side, any discussions if IPX connector going to propagate from Ety to Westone?
I *suspect* future Westone IEMs will use IPX, but I do not know that for a fact.

Nov 2, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,314 of 1,446
Tbh, don't know much about guitar picks, but since you mentioned it, this one has 0.88mm printed on top, probably the thickness. I had a small bag of these picks that came with a toy guitar I got for my kids years ago. Never had a use for it until now. Credit card might work as well, but with guitar picks the edge is narrowed down.

The Pro X series already moved to IPX (updated UM Pro range) - so it will be interesting to see if the W series also gets this connector

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,315 of 1,446

Guitar picks come in many thicknesses. A 0.88mm thick pick is on medium/heavy range (generally considered the lighter side of Heavy pick range). You can certainly get thicker if you'd like.

As others have mentioned, the new Pro X series have moved to the Estron T2 (sometimes referred to as IPX) connector, so that should tell you something. After dealing with MMCX for a while, I have to say I think the T2 represents an improvement.

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #1,316 of 1,446
Guitar picks come in many thicknesses. A 0.88mm thick pick is on medium/heavy range (generally considered the lighter side of Heavy pick range). You can certainly get thicker if you'd like.

As others have mentioned, the new Pro X series have moved to the Estron T2 (sometimes referred to as IPX) connector, so that should tell you something. After dealing with MMCX for a while, I have to say I think the T2 represents an improvement.

Gonna have a talk with Blake about this :p

Feb 14, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #1,317 of 1,446
I ordered W80 v3 on Amazon and received it an hour ago. I am using Sony DMP-Z1 and listening to Agnes Obel's Aventine album.

Initial impressions is they are sonically improved over v1 that I reviewed over 4 years ago which were very very impressive. I noticed improved clarity and imaging over v1. From my experience with v1, it will need a good 200+ hrs of playtime to break-in. At $899 retail, the W80 v3 is a steal if sound quality is what you're after.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #1,318 of 1,446
I ordered W80 v3 on Amazon and received it an hour ago. I am using Sony DMP-Z1 and listening to Agnes Obel's Aventine album.

Initial impressions is they are sonically improved over v1 that I reviewed over 4 years ago which were very very impressive. I noticed improved clarity and imaging over v1. From my experience with v1, it will need a good 200+ hrs of playtime to break-in. At $899 retail, the W80 v3 is a steal if sound quality is what you're after.
Great! Please keep us informed on the sound quality.

Is the V3 the same “thin” (small diameter) sound nozzle as the V2?

I use the Comply T-100 tips and the thin sound nozzle is very comfortable in my ears.

I like other IEMs sound quality, but I cannot use larger sound nozzles in my ears with discomfort in 10+ minutes.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #1,319 of 1,446

Mike, were you comparing v1 and v3 side by side? And did you use the same cable and the same source? As far as I know, the diff between v1 and v2 was just cosmetic (faceplate) which I confirmed in my testing, and v3 had a different accessories package, no other design or tuning changes (I don't have v3). But from my personal experience, cable can affect the sound as well as the source. Just curious.

Will see you at CanJam NYC!

... btw, just confirmed with Westone, for W80, v1, v2, and v3 are all the same drivers and the same tuning. v2 added new faceplates, and v3 has a cut-down accessories packaging.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,320 of 1,446
Checking back on this forum after some time. I have V1 W80 and was looking into a replacement, today noticing on Westone's website the W80 is no longer offered (?). Perhaps I missed something but is the W80 now discontinued? Any guidance to obtaining a replacement W80, v3 or otherwise. Didn't see the V2 Bluetooth cable either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back