Westone W80
Aug 7, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,141 of 1,446
Here you go, compared W80/v2 vs UMPro50v2 and W60v2

W80 vs UMPro50v2 – W soundstage is wider in comparison to UM here. Bass has a lot of similarities from sub-bass extension to mid-bass impact. Mids are a little leaner and more transparent in UM while have a little more body and thicker in W, and overall UM mids are a little more revealing, brighter, while W mids are smoother and more organic. Both have a well-defined treble, but UM has more sparkle and a little crisper at the top.

W60v2 vs UMPro50v2 – both have a very similar soundstage expansion, in width and depth. Bass has a lot of similarities as well, from deeper sub-bass rumble to mid-bass impact, but UM mid-bass hits even harder and a bit faster (shorter attack/decay), while W is a bit relaxed in comparison. Mids are very similar, with nearly the same neutral (more toward leaner) lower mids, and more resolving, transparent upper mids. But with treble, W is a little smoother while UM has more sparkle and sounds crisper.

W60v2 feels like a mix between W80 and UMPro50v2.

That's great, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Swaying towards the W60 now. So potentially money saved.

Aug 7, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,142 of 1,446
That's great, thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Swaying towards the W60 now. So potentially money saved.

Tbh, I'm really enjoying the retuned v2 of W60. And the new silver plated cable is nice. Just keep in mind, if you really like that extra crisp treble sparkle in UMPro50 v2, you will miss it going to W80/W60 :wink: Not saying W80/W60 treble is dull, it still has a great definition and extension, but it's less fatigue and more natural.

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,143 of 1,446
Which westone would be great for several genres of music but I particularly love metal and like good bass?

Aug 8, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #1,144 of 1,446
Tbh, I'm really enjoying the retuned v2 of W60. And the new silver plated cable is nice. Just keep in mind, if you really like that extra crisp treble sparkle in UMPro50 v2, you will miss it going to W80/W60 :wink: Not saying W80/W60 treble is dull, it still has a great definition and extension, but it's less fatigue and more natural.

I hear you. I had a long hard think and given that the reason I'm replacing is due to the loss of my beloved UM Pro 50's rather than a proactive upgrade.... I've just placed an order for the UM Pro 50's again! Your input really helped and to be honest wasn't planning on looking to replace/reassess earphones until I change my Plenue P1 which is still a joy to listen to with the Westones. The battery is beginning to go though and I have my eye on Plenue L for the future.

One additional question if I may (at the risk of derailing a W80 thread!), is the new silver plated cable a decent small potential upgrade for Pro 50's? Have you tried it with the UM Pro 50's? Again thanks for the help.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,145 of 1,446
I hear you. I had a long hard think and given that the reason I'm replacing is due to the loss of my beloved UM Pro 50's rather than a proactive upgrade.... I've just placed an order for the UM Pro 50's again! Your input really helped and to be honest wasn't planning on looking to replace/reassess earphones until I change my Plenue P1 which is still a joy to listen to with the Westones. The battery is beginning to go though and I have my eye on Plenue L for the future.

One additional question if I may (at the risk of derailing a W80 thread!), is the new silver plated cable a decent small potential upgrade for Pro 50's? Have you tried it with the UM Pro 50's? Again thanks for the help.

New cable will give you a nice refinement in sound, don't expect night'n'day difference. It feels durable and also looks better than original stock Epic cable, especially with a clear shell of UMPro50v2. With Plenue L, love that DAP, but keep in mind, 4.4mm balanced headphone out sounds noticeable better (to my ears) than its 3.5mm single ended. So, if you are planning to upgrade DAP, keep in mind cable termination because you will be back to square one looking for a new cable with a balanced plug :wink:

Aug 8, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #1,146 of 1,446
New cable will give you a nice refinement in sound, don't expect night'n'day difference. It feels durable and also looks better than original stock Epic cable, especially with a clear shell of UMPro50v2. With Plenue L, love that DAP, but keep in mind, 4.4mm balanced headphone out sounds noticeable better (to my ears) than its 3.5mm single ended. So, if you are planning to upgrade DAP, keep in mind cable termination because you will be back to square one looking for a new cable with a balanced plug :wink:
Copy that. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,147 of 1,446
Which westone would be great for several genres of music but I particularly love metal and like good bass?

Was thinking about your question, but forgot to post the reply :D While I'm not a big fan of metal, usually that genre benefits from a good treble sparkle to enhance guitars crunch and slamming fast mid-bass to keep up with a guitar speed. I think UMPro50 v2 would be a better choice for it.

Aug 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,148 of 1,446
Was thinking about your question, but forgot to post the reply :D While I'm not a big fan of metal, usually that genre benefits from a good treble sparkle to enhance guitars crunch and slamming fast mid-bass to keep up with a guitar speed. I think UMPro50 v2 would be a better choice for it.
Metal isn't known for the best production techniques in the world usually, why I pick something a little smoother :)

Aug 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #1,149 of 1,446
Metal isn't known for the best production techniques in the world usually, why I pick something a little smoother :)

A while back someone sent me a few speed metal song examples while asking which iem sounds better to listen to that kind of music. That's why I rembered it :D Smooth tuned iems killed the crunch and the speed of the guitars lol!

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #1,150 of 1,446
Any update on this?

Nothing, and my replacement ALO cable is starting to fail again. I haven't heard from Westone yet. I have bought the bluetooth cable, annoying to have to use a wireless cable and spend an extra 150£ really...

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,151 of 1,446
Nothing, and my replacement ALO cable is starting to fail again. I haven't heard from Westone yet. I have bought the bluetooth cable, annoying to have to use a wireless cable and spend an extra 150£ really...

Wait, this is your 4th ALO cable and the gold plating of 3.5mm plug is fading off again? Man, that's truly bizarre. You mentioned before, your only source is a phone and a laptop, no DAPs or DACs/amps. Just curious, which phone/laptop are you using and are these new or older devices? I could only assume if this would have been a widespread problem we would read a lot more complaints about those connectors, either in this Westone thread or other Campfire Audio iem/cable threads. I have no doubt it's a real problem you are experiencing, you provided a picture in the past, but it's just so weird that it happened with 4 cables already and the only thing in common is your phone and laptop.

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,153 of 1,446
Wait, this is your 4th ALO cable and the gold plating of 3.5mm plug is fading off again? Man, that's truly bizarre. You mentioned before, your only source is a phone and a laptop, no DAPs or DACs/amps. Just curious, which phone/laptop are you using and are these new or older devices? I could only assume if this would have been a widespread problem we would read a lot more complaints about those connectors, either in this Westone thread or other Campfire Audio iem/cable threads. I have no doubt it's a real problem you are experiencing, you provided a picture in the past, but it's just so weird that it happened with 4 cables already and the only thing in common is your phone and laptop.

I'm as shocked as you are believe me, it´s really annoying. I use the Samsung S9 but I had the S8 and an HTC before, so it´s not a problem with the source but the cable. I really want to send this cable to westone so they can try with different earpieces. And actually this issue it seems to be related with the combination of the cable and eaphones, because with the W40 the cable was totally destroyed and the goldplatting had worn off after 2 years and never ever had a problem with those earphones, perhaps the W80 are very sensitive? No idea.

This cable I am using it since September approx. My habits have not changed since I have the W80, so I don´t think it´s a problem of how I use this kit.

The goldplating always wears of right. But after years and not months.
For how long do you have your latest cable?

Well, that really depends on your usage, if you use your earphones every day and unplug them at least 10 times per day it will wear in 10 months.

I´m attaching a picture of the actual cable and the one that I showed a few months ago, so you can compare:

A few months ago:

Yesterday:
20190813_220931.jpg

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,155 of 1,446
Just made a similar post in UM Pro thread (where I tested it with UMPro50), and now want to mention this in W80 thread as well. I wanted to do this for a very long time, to test Westone IEMs with 2pin cables :) Went through a number of various connector adapters, and finally found the one which is the shortest and the best quality (transparent in sound). Just put together a write up testing W80 (and UM Pro 50 v2) with EA Vogue Cu, SPC, and Cu/Ag 2pin cables using these OE Audio 2pin to mmcx adapters. Enjoy the read here.

westone-vogue-05.jpg westone-vogue-06.jpg westone-vogue-11.jpg oeaudio-adapter-13.jpg

and the fit is perfect too (considering I have average size ears).

westone-vogue-07.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back