Westone W80
Feb 25, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,111 of 1,446
Got the impressions made and ordered the ES80's last Friday, now the waiting game begins - very excited for my first CIEM's!

Don't think the waiting game should be that long, and please make sure to share your impressions when you get it, including the source you are driving ES80 with :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #1,112 of 1,446
Don't think the waiting game should be that long, and please make sure to share your impressions when you get it, including the source you are driving ES80 with :)

Yeah just checked on the status and it has been 8 working days since I ordered and the center that did the ear impressions checked with Westone who said it will be another 2 weeks so the waiting game is in full swing and now my excitement is waning

Mar 6, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #1,113 of 1,446
Screenshot (244).png Screenshot (245).png

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #1,114 of 1,446
Yeah just checked on the status and it has been 8 working days since I ordered and the center that did the ear impressions checked with Westone who said it will be another 2 weeks so the waiting game is in full swing and now my excitement is waning
Totally understand the anxiety while waiting. My history with Westone, W3, W4, W60 at which point I lost the left earpiece. Coinicendatly I'd been contemplating ES series, so naturally resisted temptation to jump on to the W80s immediately. I held out with a pair of the old UM pro 50s which surprised me profoundly. Bring on the plunge into the ES80s,....source is Walkman gold WMIZ, honestly never been closer to the music. This is a small piece of heaven. All I'd advise is please do experiment with different cables, makes a real difference. I'm using ALO ref 8 as my regular option but pure silver and pure copper each bring different beauty to this beast. Make sure the fit is perfect or else you'll be missing out on tonnes of realism and the whole magic that's ES80

Mar 6, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,115 of 1,446
Totally understand the anxiety while waiting. My history with Westone, W3, W4, W60 at which point I lost the left earpiece. Coinicendatly I'd been contemplating ES series, so naturally resisted temptation to jump on to the W80s immediately. I held out with a pair of the old UM pro 50s which surprised me profoundly. Bring on the plunge into the ES80s,....source is Walkman gold WMIZ, honestly never been closer to the music. This is a small piece of heaven. All I'd advise is please do experiment with different cables, makes a real difference. I'm using ALO ref 8 as my regular option but pure silver and pure copper each bring different beauty to this beast. Make sure the fit is perfect or else you'll be missing out on tonnes of realism and the whole magic that's ES80

I will try some different cables for sure - I do have one from Ted Allen of Headphonelounge that i really like

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #1,116 of 1,446
Since I will continue with 2nd gen W-series discussion in that thread, just wanted to mention I posted some additional info and pictures in there. Don't want to mirror it in both threads. And yes, metal faceplates looks cool. AND YES, you can put them on original W80 :wink: And, as a teaser, the sound of 2nd gen W80 is identical to the original W80.

westone_w80-v2-06.jpg westone_w80-v2-07.jpg

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,117 of 1,446
I got a w80 from B&H Dealzone 2 weeks ago for a great price. I'm looking for a dap that has good matching impedance. I've been poking through this huge thread looking for recommendations and it is difficult to find a recommendation that is current for today's daps. I've been looking at Pioneer, Fiio M9 and others. I primarily listen (home office) via a Roon Rock server >> Sonore microRendu >> Chord Mojo >> THX AAA 789 >> W80. At the office it is JRiver >> Mojo >> w80. I'd like a dap that can be a roon endpoint. I also have Chromecast devices so being able to cast music from the dap (like my Android phone) would be a big plus (I don't do Airplay). Bluetooth 4 or 5 with Aptx Ldap would also be a big plus. Any recommendations on a brand or model to be looking at? Thanks for reading.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #1,118 of 1,446
I got a w80 from B&H Dealzone 2 weeks ago for a great price. I'm looking for a dap that has good matching impedance. I've been poking through this huge thread looking for recommendations and it is difficult to find a recommendation that is current for today's daps. I've been looking at Pioneer, Fiio M9 and others. I primarily listen (home office) via a Roon Rock server >> Sonore microRendu >> Chord Mojo >> THX AAA 789 >> W80. At the office it is JRiver >> Mojo >> w80. I'd like a dap that can be a roon endpoint. I also have Chromecast devices so being able to cast music from the dap (like my Android phone) would be a big plus (I don't do Airplay). Bluetooth 4 or 5 with Aptx Ldap would also be a big plus. Any recommendations on a brand or model to be looking at? Thanks for reading.

Per your streaming requirements, I assume you are looking for Android based DAP with app support? What is your budget? That would be a starting point to narrow down the selection. Also, I'm not sure if you are looking for something with higher resolution, more audiophile quality? Pioneer/Onkyo I tried before were good commercial quality DAPs, not exactly audiophile quality sound, though my personal bar is a bit high (since I review a lot of flagship DAPs). Not familiar with FiiO M-series, but usually FiiO tuning is also geared more toward commercial sound quality. I was just listening to W80 paired up with Hiby R6 Pro and that pair up is VERY good. Not the original R6 which has 10 ohm output impedance, but R6 Pro. Plus, had some fun tweaking its MSEB dsp effects. Hiby DAP is like your Android smartphone without "phone" part.

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #1,119 of 1,446
@twister6. I want a DAP that will bring out the best of the W80s at a great price ($300 to $500 range). I'd sacrifice 5% of supreme audiophile quality for 80% less cost - all of my critical listening has been tied to desktop systems to date. Most of my mobile listening has been to ripped lossy files copied to my phone's limited disk space. I view DAPs as disposable tech that, like cellphones, will be obsolete in two to three years and need to be replaced. Thank you for pointing me to the Hiby R6 Pro - I'll put it on a contender list. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #1,120 of 1,446
I have a AK SR15 that sound great with my W80. I'm thinking to buy the ALO ref 8 2.5mm balanced cable to go with my SR15, but the output impedance is 1.6 ohm on balanced... do you think it's too much for the W80 ?

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,121 of 1,446
I have a AK SR15 that sound great with my W80. I'm thinking to buy the ALO ref 8 2.5mm balanced cable to go with my SR15, but the output impedance is 1.6 ohm on balanced... do you think it's too much for the W80 ?

When I tested W80 with L&P L6 dap which has 2.2 ohm from its SE output, the sound changed a little where bass was more attenuated and mids were brighter. It's hard to tell how this will translate into SR15, because it's not just output impedance but also other contributing factors like output voltage, etc. So, there is a possibility that sound could change. Are you not happy with SE output of SR15?

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,122 of 1,446
When I tested W80 with L&P L6 dap which has 2.2 ohm from its SE output, the sound changed a little where bass was more attenuated and mids were brighter. It's hard to tell how this will translate into SR15, because it's not just output impedance but also other contributing factors like output voltage, etc. So, there is a possibility that sound could change. Are you not happy with SE output of SR15?

Oh I am happy with the SE output :) but on the SR15 thread everyone seems to praise the balanced output and how better it is... I think the best would be for me to try it and see (and maybe get a refund or sell the cable). Do you think the IEmatch could help there ?

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,123 of 1,446
@twister6. I want a DAP that will bring out the best of the W80s at a great price ($300 to $500 range). I'd sacrifice 5% of supreme audiophile quality for 80% less cost - all of my critical listening has been tied to desktop systems to date. Most of my mobile listening has been to ripped lossy files copied to my phone's limited disk space. I view DAPs as disposable tech that, like cellphones, will be obsolete in two to three years and need to be replaced. Thank you for pointing me to the Hiby R6 Pro - I'll put it on a contender list. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Another really good option for you would be Cayin N5iiS DAP (Musicteck lists it for $499, but maybe you can get an even better deal). It has dual uSD for extra storage and also has access to Google Play for streaming.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,124 of 1,446
Oh I am happy with the SE output :) but on the SR15 thread everyone seems to praise the balanced output and how better it is... I think the best would be for me to try it and see (and maybe get a refund or sell the cable). Do you think the IEmatch could help there ?

iEMatch certainly could help a lot. It was a life saver for many low impedance IEMs when I was testing the original hiby R6 which has 10 ohm output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back