Westone W80
Feb 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #361 of 1,446
Hi!

I have no side by side comparisons but from my time with the W60 ( a few weeks) and now with the W80 for a few weeks, I can honestly say that I think Westone finally nailed it (for me).

I really liked the W60 but I personally preferred the UmPro50 to them though. They were my current favorite from the Westone universal range.

The W80 has now really stepped up the game for me. Bit more oomph in the bottom end and definitively a sparklier, enhanced treble that still causes no fatigue. So, to my ears, Westone has done it and removed my personal biggest criticism (treble energy/sparkle) without sacrificing their core values (natural sound quality, fatigue-less, comfortable, able to listen for hours on them).

While I liked the W60 and UmPro50 - I never bought them. Now, with the W80 - I am very seriously thinking about it. I find them brilliant and certainly worthy of the flagship title. I currently like them more than my Noble K10....

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #362 of 1,446
  I think W80 will probably still sell to semi-mainstream buyers who haven't discovered the niche companies (who are powering forward recently) and Head-fi forums in general. However here in the forums itself I don't see much attention brewing overall.

Ha ha.
Have purchased plenty of high end headphones and IEM's in the past and Westone continues to be amongst my favorites. While JH audio and others need a supersize Frankenstein IEM for the same number of drivers, Westone is able to squeeze that many in a tiny IEM. Able to go to bed with them? check; able to wear them for long periods of time? check; wonderful send? check.
The W60 expends more time in my ears than the Shure 846, which I may sell to buy the 80's.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #363 of 1,446

I think W80 will probably still sell to semi-mainstream buyers who haven't discovered the niche companies (who are powering forward recently) and Head-fi forums in general. However here in the forums itself I don't see much attention brewing overall.

Ha ha.
Have purchased plenty of high end headphones and IEM's in the past and Westone continues to be amongst my favorites. While JH audio and others need a supersize Frankenstein IEM for the same number of drivers, Westone is able to squeezes that many in a tiny IEM. Able to go to bed with them? check; able to wear them for long periods of time? check; wonderful send? check.
The W60 expends more time in my ears than the Shure 846, which I may sell to buy the 80's.

True, sometimes we need more check marks than just sound quality, though that's always #1 on my priority.  But certain things like comfort of wearing, lightweight design, removable cable, included accessories, etc. can help to tip the scale when you narrow it down and deciding between a few IEMs.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #366 of 1,446
Could anyone say if the trebles of the W80 are similar to the Sennheiser ie800?
Thank you

I didn't have a chance to listen to ie800, but have read a number of reviews from reputable sources (like Joker on THL) which is aligned with GoldenEar FR measurement of that iem. ie800 is a v-shaped tuned single wide bandwidth dynamic driver iem with a rather noticeable emphasis on bass and treble. It has a prominent spike around 10k (only based on measurements I've seen and description of the sound I've read). In comparison to how i hear and measured w80, Westone should be more balanced in turning and with less treble emphasis, meaning smoother, less piercing sparkle, and probably less airiness.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #367 of 1,446
I didn't have a chance to listen to ie800, but have read a number of reviews from reputable sources (like Joker on THL) which is aligned with GoldenEar FR measurement of that iem. ie800 is a v-shaped tuned single wide bandwidth dynamic driver iem with a rather noticeable emphasis on bass and treble. It has a prominent spike around 10k (only based on measurements I've seen and description of the sound I've read). In comparison to how i hear and measured w80, Westone should be more balanced in turning and with less treble emphasis, meaning smoother, less piercing sparkle, and probably less airiness.

Thank you for that. I've owned a couple of pairs of the IE800 as I love the sound signature. I'm more of a treble head rather than a bass head! Unfortunately the fitting was troublesome for my ears and I've sold them both. I guess I'm trying to find a similar sound in a more comfy fit.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #369 of 1,446
Dont u guys find the w80 veiled?

You asked this question a few month ago and got the answer from others
tongue.gif

If Westone house sound is not your cup of tea and you prefer a more analytical revealing sig, relative to that any pair of headphones with a smoother laid back sig will be "veiled"
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #370 of 1,446
@twister6
What is the manufacturer recommended burn-in time? I read on Headphone Guru that they burned it in for 250 hours along with the Ref 8 cable, but I haven't personally experienced that length of time being necessary for balanced armatures vs. dynamic drivers.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #371 of 1,446
@twister6
What is the manufacturer recommended burn-in time? I read on Headphone Guru that they burned it in for 250 hours along with the Ref 8 cable, but I haven't personally experienced that length of time being necessary for balanced armatures vs. dynamic drivers.

Not everybody believes in burn in, some refer to it as a brain burn in, though you can either burn in by actual listening or just let it sit playing in the loop for 4-5 days.  In theory, BA drivers don't benefit from burn in like dynamic drivers do, but you still have crossover components and solder joints inside which could be susceptible to a subtle changes.  And we hear these changes differently, some more, others less.  Also, I noticed changes in a cable burn in, and many manufacturers recommend that (another controversial topic lol!!!!).  Just listen to the monitors out of the box, take some notes how it sounds, put it on a loop playing for 4-5 days in a row, and come back and see if you hear any difference.  I usually make sure every pair of headphones goes through at least 100hrs of burn in.  With DAPs, 200hrs is my burn in min (mostly for big filtering caps).

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #372 of 1,446
Dont u guys find the w80 veiled?

No.

It doesn't have piercing treble other iems have, but there is enormous detail, lots of space and nothing I miss.

When I compare the W80 to the Noble K10 - the K10 has "more" treble but I don't find the W80 veiled at all, it's more rather showing me that you can have the detail without boosting the treble. I prefer the Westone presentation at the moment.

Cheers.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #374 of 1,446

@twister6
What is the manufacturer recommended burn-in time? 

A manufacturer who recommends burn-in time would loose all his credibility.

Then, I have no idea what you are doing on head-fi considering majority of manufacturers recommend burn in of their headphones, DAPs, cables, etc.  It's a different story if you believe in it or don't, or if your level of hearing can't detect any changes.  But when you talk about "credibility", don't forget to mention it's your subjective opinion
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #375 of 1,446
No.

It doesn't have piercing treble other iems have, but there is enormous detail, lots of space and nothing I miss.

When I compare the W80 to the Noble K10 - the K10 has "more" treble but I don't find the W80 veiled at all, it's more rather showing me that you can have the detail without boosting the treble. I prefer the Westone presentation at the moment.

Cheers.
maybe the lack of treble makes me find the w80 to be veiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back