Westone W80
Oct 14, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #91 of 1,446

Did you ask Westone for a replacement vault (orange box)?
wink.gif

Metal shell will probably add some weight, and typically IEMs with metal shells are bigger in size (relative to a number of drivers).  Again, I'm just guessing, but have a feeling metal shell with 8 drivers would be a lot bigger than a current W80.

Didn't bother getting a new vault, just used a velcro tie around it.
Metal shells would make it heavier and bigger but I think the denser material would improve clarity.
The in-ear pictures you posted are appreciated it shows how small the W80 is which is a good thing. I don't want to look like Uhuru from Star Trek.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #92 of 1,446
Thanks for pointing out that Katana shell is smaller (relative to K10UA), I wasn't aware of that!  Actually, my K10UA pair is on-loan to another reviewer who's doing Katana write-up, so I will make sure he takes side-by-side pictures.  I guess will wait until CanJam NYC to check out the updated Noble line up.  And for sure, I will have W80 with me at CJ NYC for anybody who wants to take a listen to W80 or to test Ken's Ref8 hybrid cable.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #94 of 1,446
Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #97 of 1,446
  Hi,

Any photos on the included large luxury case? Such as dimensions will be good if any are available. Thanks all.

twister 6 posted a video, and within that video you can see the case from 2 minutes in ...

For those of you who missed it, a very informative video from RMAF 2016 with Cartwright brothers (the guys behind Westone IEM tuning!) talking about W80:

I personally wouldn't go so far as to call it a "luxury" case, but it's an added bonus for anyone that wants a larger case in which you can keep your earphones, accessories and DAP

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #99 of 1,446
  Hi,

Any photos on the included large luxury case? Such as dimensions will be good if any are available. Thanks all.

In my opinion, "luxury case" name here refers more to Luxurious Functionality rather than Luxurious Material.  I agree, it's misleading since some will expect a fancy leather case
biggrin.gif

What you have is a large hard shell case with a strong ballistic material on outside and lots of inner space.  One side has 3 fixed partitions covered by a stretchy material to store your eartips and extra cable.  In the middle there is a partitioning (you can flip it) which separates the sides and also has pockets for extra storage like credit cards or business cards or money.  The other side comes with a smaller removable case for IEMs and 2 velcro divider strips to partition sections for your DAP/DAC/amp.  This is a very clever design for those who are traveling and want to have one highly functional storage case.  Here are a few pictures (click to expand)

Inside the case, notice the divider side is soft so it wouldn't scratch daps:

With headphones and DAP, in one I have AK120ii and LPG and in the other one Opus#2

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #101 of 1,446
Hi Twister,
So the W80 having a smaller body then W60 that means they are more comfortable to wear for longer?
Many thanks.

It's not significantly smaller, just a little slimmer, especially the part of the shell facing toward your ear is flat now, feels very comfortable.  I never had issues wearing W60 for a long time, but if you have, W80 will be more comfortable for sure.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #102 of 1,446
In my opinion, "luxury case" name here refers more to Luxurious Functionality rather than Luxurious Material.  I agree, it's misleading since some will expect a fancy leather case :D

What you have is a large hard shell case with a strong ballistic material on outside and lots of inner space.  One side has 3 fixed partitions covered by a stretchy material to store your eartips and extra cable.  In the middle there is a partitioning (you can flip it) which separates the sides and also has pockets for extra storage like credit cards or business cards or money.  The other side comes with a smaller removable case for IEMs and 2 velcro divider strips to partition sections for your DAP/DAC/amp.  This is a very clever design for those who are traveling and want to have one highly functional storage case.  Here are a few pictures (click to expand)

Inside the case, notice the divider side is soft so it wouldn't scratch daps:

With headphones and DAP, in one I have AK120ii and LPG and in the other one Opus#2

Many thanks, very illustrative and informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back