Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,876 of 1,957
I've had a variety of customs, including UM Miracle, a few from 64 Audio (A6, A10, A12), a few from JH Audio (13 Pro fp, Roxanne) and the one I kept, Noble K10.

Now I think of it, I compared the original W60 to my Roxannes here, and compared the W60 with its W40 sibling here.

My current Westones are the W3, UM Pro 50 and of course the W60 v2. (previously had the W4R, W40 & UM3X). I also had the W80 for a short time but the cable microphonics were horrendous and the sound was harsh to my ears.

I have a lot of time for Westone IEMs because they fit perfectly. The UM Pro 50 is my daily 'phone purely because it fits so well (and looks gorgeous!)

But the W60 v2 is a bit special.
Out of the current models which is closest to the old w3?

Thanks

Aug 25, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,878 of 1,957
Ah, just realised my post should say W30. I've never owned the W3 - sorry!

That's ok, the w3 ARE a bit outdated at this point! Got a love hate thing with universals. Most of them fit my left absolutely fine, but the right doesn't want to know. The closest was the old w3's but even that wasn't perfect. On the one hand I wouldn't mind picking up a new set, but on the other there isn't much point if they don't fit me :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,879 of 1,957
I posted detailed impressions a few days ago on the W60 with the Bluetooth V2 cable vs the older V1 cable. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...-westone-bluetooth-v1-cable-with-aptx.913586/

But I also have some impressions of the W60 in general to add, both wired and wireless, which I added to my V2 review on Amazon. Here is what's missing from the link.

"My son and I got our Westone W60 IEM at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver CO several years ago. I acquired our Bluetooth V2 cables directly from Westone Labs in early May 2019. My son and I have been using these Bluetooth V2 cables on our W60 since then, for over three months, with no problems in quality. Our three V1 cables are several years old, and none have failed us yet.

For the past few years I have loved my Westone W60, which fit me better than the W80 and offer 95% of the sound, while being easier to drive. The W80, on the other hand, are one of the ultimate in universal fit earphones when paired with a nice amp, such as the CEntrance HiFi-M8, and DACportable, or their BlueDAC. As many already know, in HiFi audio the last 5% in audible gains can double the cost of your setup.

To get the best sound and fit from the W60, one must try a variety of the included ear tips, as they do affect the sound more than you would think. I get better sound isolation and comfort for long listening sessions from the short medium Complys foam tips, at the expense of a slightly darker and less open sound. I get the best sound overall from the medium silicone Star tips, and can still listen for 2-3 hours at a time without needing to take a break to scratch my itchy ear canals due to sweat forming against the silicone.

If you need the best reference quality universal fit IEM, you have a nice quiet amplifier, and cost is not an issue, then I would say to consider the W80, unless you have small ears since the IEM body is a little fatter. The larger W80 are more difficult for me to get sealed in my ears vs the W60 but once I do it's worth it, while my son is unable to fit anything bigger than the W60. And the price point, when you start out with the W60 and no amp, is so much more bang for the buck. And the fact that they can be easily driven by a small Bluetooth V2 cable is a big plus.

In a nutshell, the W60 could be my one and only universal Fit IEM or earphone. They offer true reference quality sound and transparency, with strong bass, vivid midrange, and clear detailed treble."

As for the question above - what current model sounds like a W3 now, I can't say there is one. I don't have the W30, but do have the W40, W50, W60, W80, and ES60 customs (plus older models W1, W2, W3, W4R, and UM3x, as well as the ES3x and ES5). The W40 are a reference type IEM, with good frequency balance but not the same transparency and punch or micro-detail of the W60, but they are close cousins. W50 are the "fun" bassy Westone but they are darker sounding than the W3, so not the same with less noticeable air and micro-detail. The W60 are definitely a reference quality IEM that are also fun and energetic, but true to the source as well.

All of these have a similar sized shell to the W3 and fit my ears well. If you like the W3 you may not like the W40 as being too neutral, and you may enjoy the punch of the W50 but miss the treble presence of the W3. In my opinion the W3 lover will also love the W60, despite also being a "reference" IEM.

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #1,880 of 1,957
^^ Thanks. Just a shame about the prices in the uk now :frowning2: Even with a sale on for bank holiday the w60 is £650 ($795) and usually goes for £929 ($1137).

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #1,881 of 1,957
I posted detailed impressions a few days ago on the W60 with the Bluetooth V2 cable vs the older V1 cable. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...-westone-bluetooth-v1-cable-with-aptx.913586/

But I also have some impressions of the W60 in general to add, both wired and wireless, which I added to my V2 review on Amazon. Here is what's missing from the link.

"My son and I got our Westone W60 IEM at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver CO several years ago. I acquired our Bluetooth V2 cables directly from Westone Labs in early May 2019. My son and I have been using these Bluetooth V2 cables on our W60 since then, for over three months, with no problems in quality. Our three V1 cables are several years old, and none have failed us yet.

For the past few years I have loved my Westone W60, which fit me better than the W80 and offer 95% of the sound, while being easier to drive. The W80, on the other hand, are one of the ultimate in universal fit earphones when paired with a nice amp, such as the CEntrance HiFi-M8, and DACportable, or their BlueDAC. As many already know, in HiFi audio the last 5% in audible gains can double the cost of your setup.

To get the best sound and fit from the W60, one must try a variety of the included ear tips, as they do affect the sound more than you would think. I get better sound isolation and comfort for long listening sessions from the short medium Complys foam tips, at the expense of a slightly darker and less open sound. I get the best sound overall from the medium silicone Star tips, and can still listen for 2-3 hours at a time without needing to take a break to scratch my itchy ear canals due to sweat forming against the silicone.

If you need the best reference quality universal fit IEM, you have a nice quiet amplifier, and cost is not an issue, then I would say to consider the W80, unless you have small ears since the IEM body is a little fatter. The larger W80 are more difficult for me to get sealed in my ears vs the W60 but once I do it's worth it, while my son is unable to fit anything bigger than the W60. And the price point, when you start out with the W60 and no amp, is so much more bang for the buck. And the fact that they can be easily driven by a small Bluetooth V2 cable is a big plus.

In a nutshell, the W60 could be my one and only universal Fit IEM or earphone. They offer true reference quality sound and transparency, with strong bass, vivid midrange, and clear detailed treble."

As for the question above - what current model sounds like a W3 now, I can't say there is one. I don't have the W30, but do have the W40, W50, W60, W80, and ES60 customs (plus older models W1, W2, W3, W4R, and UM3x, as well as the ES3x and ES5). The W40 are a reference type IEM, with good frequency balance but not the same transparency and punch or micro-detail of the W60, but they are close cousins. W50 are the "fun" bassy Westone but they are darker sounding than the W3, so not the same with less noticeable air and micro-detail. The W60 are definitely a reference quality IEM that are also fun and energetic, but true to the source as well.

All of these have a similar sized shell to the W3 and fit my ears well. If you like the W3 you may not like the W40 as being too neutral, and you may enjoy the punch of the W50 but miss the treble presence of the W3. In my opinion the W3 lover will also love the W60, despite also being a "reference" IEM.

Since you referenced W60 from a few years ago, I assume you are talking about the original discontinued version? Both W40 and W60 been re-tuned and released already as v2, the original ones no longer available on Westone site (the same as W30 and W50 discontinued and reincarnated as B30 and B50), though you can still find it on clearance on amazon or from some stores selling out old stock. You should definitely check out updated tuning of W40 and W60 v2 gen.

Also, just curious, what is your current audio source since you mentioned that you need an external amplifier to drive W80? I just assume you prefer a synergy of other DAC/amp sound sig with W80 over your current source.

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,882 of 1,957
I've been using Westone's ultra thin cable with W60 V1 and found that the muffled mids have been improved significantly over the stocked cables. I'm wondering if the W60 v2 improvement can be the same as what the thin cable is doing?

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,883 of 1,957
^^ Thanks. Just a shame about the prices in the uk now :frowning2: Even with a sale on for bank holiday the w60 is £650 ($795) and usually goes for £929 ($1137).
And there was I thinking I got a great deal on the W60v2 at CanJam London a few weeks ago where I paid £742 to Hifi Headphones on a special 20% off show offer. It’s they who are now selling for £650.

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,884 of 1,957
I've been using Westone's ultra thin cable with W60 V1 and found that the muffled mids have been improved significantly over the stocked cables. I'm wondering if the W60 v2 improvement can be the same as what the thin cable is doing?

That ultra thin Westone cable is by Linum with westone mmcx connectors. I can test it and compare it for you tonight after work. So, you are interested if W60-1 w/Linum cable sounds the same as W60-2 with new SPC cable?

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,885 of 1,957
That ultra thin Westone cable is by Linum with westone mmcx connectors. I can test it and compare it for you tonight after work. So, you are interested if W60-1 w/Linum cable sounds the same as W60-2 with new SPC cable?
That'll be great! Thanks. Yes I'll be interested if W60-2 is worth the upgrade comparing to my current setup. I have linum balanced cable as well, but found that the Westone cable is even thinner, especially between the plug and Y-splitter. The ultra thin is 3.5mm, though.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #1,886 of 1,957
That'll be great! Thanks. Yes I'll be interested if W60-2 is worth the upgrade comparing to my current setup. I have linum balanced cable as well, but found that the Westone cable is even thinner, especially between the plug and Y-splitter.

By Linum balanced, you mean Linum SuperBax, the one which has double of conductors/wires (thicker cable)?

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,888 of 1,957
No, the Bax one. The Westone cable is 3.5mm, so maybe there is a difference.

Single ended vs balanced difference, if dealing with the same cable, will only depend on the source. Connector termination is just a passive wiring. But I have seen some variations in tonality and technical performance when going between ports of the same source, and of course between different sources. Too many variables with different dacs, op-amps, output impedance, etc. Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist going between different sources, ports, even cables, splitting hair to find a perfect synergy match :D

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,890 of 1,957
That'll be great! Thanks. Yes I'll be interested if W60-2 is worth the upgrade comparing to my current setup. I have linum balanced cable as well, but found that the Westone cable is even thinner, especially between the plug and Y-splitter. The ultra thin is 3.5mm, though.

I looked up Westone ultra-thin cable, and based on its spec that one is Linum BaX since their Music cable has 2ohm resistance, BaX has 1.5ohm, and SuperBaX has 0.75ohm (doubling the wire cross section to reduce the resistance).

westone_w60-1_vs_w60-2_cables.jpg

Indeed, Linum BaX (westone ultra-thin cable) gives W60 v1 a little more transparency in mids when compared to Epic cable, but it's still far from sounding like W60 v2 with its new SPC cable. W60 v2 still has more neutral, more transparent, more revealing mids, and tighter and better defined bass, and a little more sparkle in treble. W60 v1 w/BaX mids are a little thicker, warmer, more laidback, and with more body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back