Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #1,906 of 1,957
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #1,907 of 1,957
Would a refurbished Westone W60 at £350 be worth it? I was looking at buying the B50 new at £650 but these caught my eyes, if anyone has comparisons or feedback it would be appreciated.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,908 of 1,957
Would a refurbished Westone W60 at £350 be worth it?
Will you get full warranty?

I've tried B50 only briefly, but they are very different from W60.
W60 sound more open, more detailed, with better soundstage, but they don't have enough bass for my taste.
B50 definitely have the bass, but everything else was kinda muddy in comparison. Would be interesting to try a different cable and tips, i'm using SpinFit CP800 with my Um Pro 50 and suspect that they might improve the mids and highs on B50 as well.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,909 of 1,957
Will you get full warranty?

I've tried B50 only briefly, but they are very different from W60.
W60 sound more open, more detailed, with better soundstage, but they don't have enough bass for my taste.
B50 definitely have the bass, but everything else was kinda muddy in comparison. Would be interesting to try a different cable and tips, i'm using SpinFit CP800 with my Um Pro 50 and suspect that they might improve the mids and highs on B50 as well.

What tips are you using with B50 now? You are right, silicone spinfits have a softer dome which going to relax the seal and should improve the mids. It could result in a little less bass impact, but will also let mids/vocals "breath" better with more clarity.

With W60, based on everything I have read in Head-fi forum over the years, possible issues usually narrow down to either cable (easy to replace) or cracked plastic faceplates (replaceable as well). But if you get metal faceplates from W60 2nd gen, then you don't have to worry about the original plastic ones cracking.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #1,910 of 1,957
Thanks for the advise

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #1,912 of 1,957
I would have been happy if I could have got it for that price.

Thanks, it was really an impulse buy, and they often dont work out for me :) That said, I did enjoy the brief time I had with the B50's before they developed a fault so hope these will be great also.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,913 of 1,957
I received my Westone W60s, I love the highs and mids but it is really lacking in bass impact. That said, I have just moved from CFA Atlas so the difference in that respect is considerable. Is there any way of gaining more out of the low end with these? I am using silicone tips at the moment.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,914 of 1,957
I received my Westone W60s, I love the highs and mids but it is really lacking in bass impact. That said, I have just moved from CFA Atlas so the difference in that respect is considerable. Is there any way of gaining more out of the low end with these? I am using silicone tips at the moment.
Switch to foams and give a period of adjustment. I imagine most things sound bass light after the atlas though! Also what source are you using? One other thing are you sure you are getting a good seal?

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #1,915 of 1,957
I will give it time and try alternate tips. Source is a LG V40. Its strange going from the weighty Atlas's to such light earphones its easy to forget they are even in my ears, one if the things that drew me to the W60s in the first place. A am feeling perhaps I should have tried the B50s as well though.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,916 of 1,957
I will give it time and try alternate tips. Source is a LG V40. Its strange going from the weighty Atlas's to such light earphones its easy to forget they are even in my ears, one if the things that drew me to the W60s in the first place. A am feeling perhaps I should have tried the B50s as well though.
From everything I've read the b50s would be closer to the atlas sound type than the w60 which is more reference.

Dec 31, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,917 of 1,957

W60 is not bass shy, but compared to Atlas, many IEMs will be lacking bass. And the same applies to something like Legend X which is a bass canon. B50 would probably suite you better. Now, since you are using your smartphone as a source, why don't you try Hiby Music app, it's free. It has MSEB effects section which is based around parametric EQ to enhance the sound. Try to play with bass setting and you will be pleasantly surprised with W60 :wink:

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,918 of 1,957
I received my Westone W60s, I love the highs and mids but it is really lacking in bass impact.
They are really just bass light, and tips will not change it much.
Some people like it this way, and it's fine, but after some other "full" sounding iems and headphones i couldn't get used to them and sold them.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,919 of 1,957
The faceplates on my W60 cracked and I bought a set of metal ones as replacements. When I went to undo the screw, it turns hopelessly in place indicating there is no thread. I gently pulled back on the original faceplates and sure enough they snapped, I then pulled the screw out and put the new ones in. However the screw does not bite and I am worried that the replacements will come off. Is this expected, or should I perhaps look at gluing them to the chassis?

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,920 of 1,957
The faceplates on my W60 cracked and I bought a set of metal ones as replacements. When I went to undo the screw, it turns hopelessly in place indicating there is no thread. I gently pulled back on the original faceplates and sure enough they snapped, I then pulled the screw out and put the new ones in. However the screw does not bite and I am worried that the replacements will come off. Is this expected, or should I perhaps look at gluing them to the chassis?

I would try a tiny bit of blue threadlock on the screw thread first and see if you can get it to thread in and hold. The blue threadlock will allow disassembly later should you need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back