Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,891 of 1,957
Really appreciated your feedback. That's very helpful. The added clarity of the ultra thin cable pushes W60 v1 to near perfection to my taste, while W60 v2 seems to swing to the other side. That's a tough call for upgrade.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,892 of 1,957
Really appreciated your feedback. That's very helpful. The added clarity of the ultra thin cable pushes W60 v1 to near perfection to my taste, while W60 v2 seems to swing to the other side. That's a tough call for upgrade.

One thing to keep in mind, something I always mention in my cable reviews. Cable will not change the sound like an EQ, but it can certainly refine and fine-tune it. W60 v2 had an updated sound signature when compared to W60 v1, and to match that sound you will have to use more than just a cable (more like a Parametric EQ) :wink: Of course, all is a matter of a personal taste and preference, but for me W60 v2 is more audiophile tuned, and I personally can't go back to v1 :D

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #1,894 of 1,957
Delurking for a moment: I have the v1 and the ultra thin cable. It's an enormous jump over the stock v1 cable.

What source do you use to drive W60?

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,896 of 1,957
Which balanced cable has nice synergy with W60 Gen 2? Recently snagged one as part of the black friday deal, but my source has better output in balanced, and need a good balanced cable. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Or am I better off re-terminating the included the SPC cable?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #1,897 of 1,957
Which balanced cable has nice synergy with W60 Gen 2? Recently snagged one as part of the black friday deal, but my source has better output in balanced, and need a good balanced cable. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Or am I better off re-terminating the included the SPC cable?

I would recommend one of the Fiio silver cables, the LC-xxD version. I don't own the W60 but my W80 sounds better than it ever has, the micro-details in the music and sound-stage are both simply amazing with the LC-4.4D cable I'm currently using and I would assume it would elevate the sound of the W60 too.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,898 of 1,957
I would recommend one of the Fiio silver cables, the LC-xxD version. I don't own the W60 but my W80 sounds better than it ever has, the micro-details in the music and sound-stage are both simply amazing with the LC-4.4D cable I'm currently using and I would assume it would elevate the sound of the W60 too.

I did try some of FiiO's original silver plated cables in the past and microphonics was unbearable, even worse than Ref8 cable. That's one of the reasons I stayed away from them, but it was in the past. Not sure if they updated the design based on a feedback from others. How is the microphonics of this new cable, when it rubs against your shirt?

@srinivasvignesh : Linum BaX cable has a good pair up synergy with Westone iems, their mmcx connectors fit snugly, and the cable itself is super thin. They also offer Super BaX, but BaX is also good enough. Of course, if you find a local cable maker, they can re-terminated the new Westone SPC cable to 2.5mm TRRS balanced, and you can use adapters to go to 3.5mm or 4.4mm, for more flexibility.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,899 of 1,957
I did try some of FiiO's original silver plated cables in the past and microphonics was unbearable, even worse than Ref8 cable. That's one of the reasons I stayed away from them, but it was in the past. Not sure if they updated the design based on a feedback from others. How is the microphonics of this new cable, when it rubs against your shirt?

@srinivasvignesh : Linum BaX cable has a good pair up synergy with Westone iems, their mmcx connectors fit snugly, and the cable itself is super thin. They also offer Super BaX, but BaX is also good enough. Of course, if you find a local cable maker, they can re-terminated the new Westone SPC cable to 2.5mm TRRS balanced, and you can use adapters to go to 3.5mm or 4.4mm, for more flexibility.

I can't use the Ref8 cable way too stiff and microphonic. If there are two cables as far apart with regards to ergonomics its the Fiio LC-xxD and Ref8. I have one of each, the whole set 3.5mm 2.5mm and 4.4mm . :)

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,900 of 1,957
I can't use the Ref8 cable way too stiff and microphonic. If there are two cables as far apart with regards to ergonomics its the Fiio LC-xxD and Ref8. I have one of each, the whole set 3.5mm 2.5mm and 4.4mm . :)

And Fiio cable microphonics is not as bad as Ref8?

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #1,902 of 1,957

I do have a local cable maker who can re-terminate it, so I will definitely get it done. Also, I had picked up the pure silver Alo cable in TRRS. Hopefully that synergy will be good.

Thanks for the responses!

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #1,903 of 1,957

I guess FiiO wanted to step up the quality with their with their pure silver cables.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,905 of 1,957
How's the w60 stacking up against todays competition? Worth it for $450?

I definitely think so. They pair well with the stock cable but improve with the Westone SPC cable or ALO Silver Dragon Cable. Also, the Bluetooth V2 module sounds pretty darn nice vs stock black Westone cable, although with an amp like the CEntrance BlueDAC I'd prefer to listen to them cabled (SPC or ALO) when I don't need the mobility of bluetooth.

My W60 fit my ears a little better than my W80, and so I can enjoy the W60 more when I don't have to constantly readjust the IEM's fit. I prefer the W80 bass impact and open space a little more, but the W60 are so transparent and clean and spacious with deep bass extension. And, when switching from BT V2 cable or the iPhone lightning adapter to an amp (BlueDAC, HiFiM8, DACportable, Audioengine D3) then the bass starts to also kick hard.

If I hadn't heard the W80 or my custom IEM, I would not know that there was anything out there that was better than the W60. The W40 are a very neutral and flat IEM, without any coloration, but not having quite the air, space, and bass of the W60. The W50 are quite punchy in the bottom end and fun to listen to, but again their detail air and space is lacking vs the W60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back