Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #1,186 of 1,957
  Growltiger - Based on what you are saying I would simply say IEM's are not for you and stick to headphones.  You have heard the best and trashed it relentlessly.  Save your money and stick to headphones or full sized traditional room set-ups.

Perhaps one exception is to try IE800.  Very different from the Westone sound.  Insane resolution and detail

@Spyro:   I decided to follow up one other possibility, which is to do the obvious thing and try the logical upgrade path from the SE535 to the SE846.   I have found that this is disappointing in complementary ways to the W60.    Clarity is much greater,  and the creamy coloration of upper winds and strings using the blue filter is very attractive.  But, even then,  everything below about 300Hz is very muddled.  With the white filter, which is supposed to deal with this problem,  the higher frequencies are harsh, and there is actually less clear audible bass (for instance orchestral double basses, when they have a rare exposed line) than on the 535.   If there were a filter modification that reduced the amount of bass spread while leaving the upper end as it is with the blues, the 846 might have worked for me.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,187 of 1,957
  I've had the W60's for about 3 months now. Before I go on let me just let you guys know upfront that I'm sort of a newbie in the audiophile world, I'm generally not a very serious listener (although I have a pair of etymotic er4-pts just for the heck of it) my current everyday rig is my iPhone 6 spotify app (Extreme everything) with the cozoy astrapi. I don't like carrying around big daps or amps as I always wear skinny jeans so form factor is first over anything.

Moving on to the W60s, I really like them as my listening taste is more inclined towards a warmer signature, I like iems that have good bass, detailed, more pronounced on the lows and mids, smooth and for soundstage I don't really know how to tell so my opinion is obsolete.

My favourite combination is to pair my W60s with ALO audio's Tinsel Earphone Cable with FEP jacket, which I (subjectively) feel that it opens up the soundstage of the W60, makes the vocals a tad smoother/warmer.

I now have in possession (just recently) Effect Audio's Eros copper silver 4 braid hybrid cable paired with my W60, and this combination I feel makes the vocals brighter (much brighter) bass is (don't really know how to describe it but I noticed a change in it) overall sound signature is smoother and more intimate. I personally feel this combination is a bit fatiguing as I normally listen to warm/dark sounding iems i.e. Campfire Audio Lyra. I might have to give it a few more days before I become accustomed to it.

Just a side note, ALO audio claimed the FEP jacket will reduce microphonics on the cable I call total ******** on that

..... Excellent Cables / gear selection. I'm concerned on the Westone's brighter signature that you experience right now. This cause the Fatigue as opposed to keeping those fantastic IEMs glued to the ear. Yes, it does that... maybe lunashop or similar could suggest another tweaked cable set, perhaps?

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,188 of 1,957
Just want to weigh in on the W60 faceplate issue. My W60's are less than two months old. Two weeks ago I woke up, put them on and noticed the right phone was missing half of the faceplate. I looked at the left and found a small crack around the screw. Today, I received replacements for both the faceplates. I loosened the set screw on one of the 'good' plates, and then went to pull it off the body. It split into two equal pieces, right through the set screw. I tried to superglue it together, but not sure it will hold. I wrote to Westone to tell them about this 'design flaw'. I'm thinking that the problem has less to do with the tightness of the set screw. I think it cracks when you press down on the plate during insertion, or pressure on it while you're sleeping in bed (which I do often). 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,189 of 1,957
Just want to weigh in on the W60 faceplate issue. My W60's are less than two months old. Two weeks ago I woke up, put them on and noticed the right phone was missing half of the faceplate. I looked at the left and found a small crack around the screw. Today, I received replacements for both the faceplates. I loosened the set screw on one of the 'good' plates, and then went to pull it off the body. It split into two equal pieces, right through the set screw. I tried to superglue it together, but not sure it will hold. I wrote to Westone to tell them about this 'design flaw'. I'm thinking that the problem has less to do with the tightness of the set screw. I think it cracks when you press down on the plate during insertion, or pressure on it while you're sleeping in bed (which I do often). 

Does your plates have W60 or W printed on the outside of them? There is a difference in the way they fit and I had the EXACT same problem with my W60 when I had Rev3, plates with W60 print. My Rev4 has the original W print and I have no problems.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,190 of 1,957
Does your plates have W60 or W printed on the outside of them? There is a difference in the way they fit and I had the EXACT same problem with my W60 when I had Rev3, plates with W60 print. My Rev4 has the original W print and I have no problems.

I read your earlier posts. Mine have W60 on the sides. I looked at the manual inside the box and it says Rev4, the insertion guide says Rev 2, and the box shows Rev 3!!,  so I'm confused about the Rev number. I hope to hear back from them. Thanks for the info.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,191 of 1,957
I read your earlier posts. Mine have W60 on the sides. I looked at the manual inside the box and it says Rev4, the insertion guide says Rev 2, and the box shows Rev 3!!,  so I'm confused about the Rev number. I hope to hear back from them. Thanks for the info.

Go by the Rev on the box. Rev3 is the only Rev that had the W60 print on the plates. I had a problem. I now have Rev4 and there's no problems. Have them switch it out.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,192 of 1,957
I might try any suggestions you have for me as recently I acquired effect audio's thor copper litz 4 braid cable and it did not pair well with my W60s, goes very well with my w20s though. I can't give you my synopsis of pairing the w60s with the thor copper cable though, I listened to it for less than 5 mins and swapped the cables out. Couldn't take the sound.

Any cable you have up for suggestion, I would most appreciate if you have any sub $250 (sgd) cables on your mind

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #1,193 of 1,957
I have just bought W60 yesterday for better fitness for my ears but i still thinks um3xrc has better women vocal:)

I find um3xrc is more touching and engaging. however, if i have listened for more than 1hr, my ears feel a little tired. 

But I find the w60 is more comfortable and ok for relatively longer time listening. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,195 of 1,957
I hate to disappoint the majority view but electrons don't care what kind of cables you use.
Even if any changes were measurable, you would have to be a cyborg-bat to hear any difference.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #1,196 of 1,957
  I hate to disappoint the majority view but electrons don't care what kind of cables you use.
Even if any changes were measurable, you would have to be a cyborg-bat to hear any difference.

I didn't know cable believers are majority view.  If anything they are more vocal, because vanilla looking plain cables aren't that fun to talk about.  Cables are amazing placebos, and they do look cool for a pretty penny.  For me I'd rather spend 500 bucks on another pair of headphones that actually sound different.  

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,197 of 1,957
  I didn't know cable believers are majority view.  If anything they are more vocal, because vanilla looking plain cables aren't that fun to talk about.  Cables are amazing placebos, and they do look cool for a pretty penny.  For me I'd rather spend 500 bucks on another pair of headphones that actually sound different.  

I think cables do make a difference. Not a "wow this sounds completely different" but it does effect the sound. I mean, it should. Going up several gauges and from 2 wires to 4+ wires can make a large difference depending on the scenario.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,198 of 1,957
  I think cables do make a difference. Not a "wow this sounds completely different" but it does effect the sound. I mean, it should. Going up several gauges and from 2 wires to 4+ wires can make a large difference depending on the scenario.

Oh I'm all for using the proper gauge wires.  But that's mostly for speakers and I use 10 or 12 gauge wires which are more than enough for my applications which was usually not more than 30 feet.  Headphone wires I don't know.  22-26 gauge is perfectly fine and doesn't get too heavy.  

Dec 30, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,199 of 1,957
Oh I'm all for using the proper gauge wires.  But that's mostly for speakers and I use 10 or 12 gauge wires which are more than enough for my applications which was usually not more than 30 feet.  Headphone wires I don't know.  22-26 gauge is perfectly fine and doesn't get too heavy.  

Personally I use 4-braid 24awg on my IEMs. There was a guy above that the wire doesn't matter which is never the case. Electrons might not favor a cable type or another but they do flow better and all the physics stuffs with high gauge wire.

Dec 30, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,200 of 1,957
Different metals have different resistivity and conductivity properties, where resistivity also will change with thickness of the wire (lower gauge, lower resistivity, less voltage drop). Silver, copper, gold, mixing of these metals, and having them in higher or lower purity - all will affect how electrons travel from a source to a driver. The effect of this change for some will be subtle, for others more noticeable, depending on quality of your headphones and your hearing level (or loss of it :wink:)

But even though I'm a strong cable believer because I have tested and use many different cables, imo anything over $500 starting to get into diminishing returns area, and closer to $1k is just unreasonable. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back