Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,111 of 1,957
Hi, I’m new to this blog and want to thank the contributors to this thread. A few weeks ago I thought I lost my UE Triple Fi Pro 10s while raking leaves. I’ve had these since 2007 and thought they were good iem’s but I was getting tired of the sound. During extended listening, I often found myself hearing ‘sounds’ that weren’t quite music, i.e. there was a loss of texture and warmth. I added a Fiio DAC and that helped a bit. I changed the cables and they warmed up a bit, but the upper bass seemed muddier. I just wasn’t happy with the sound. 

I used this ‘loss’ as an excuse to purchase some new earphones. I already have a Beyerdynamic and Fidelio headphones, but I really like the iem experience. i read Twister’s excellent review of the W60 on Amazon, and somehow found this thread. I actually never heard of Westone before, but was intrigued when I read about the company’s history and philosophy of sound. I considered the Shure SE846, but did not want to mess around with balancing filters. Nor was I sure it had the sound signature I was looking for.

I decided to buy the W60s based on all your input. After two weeks of listening, I have no remorse. I can live with this sound for a long time. I’m using the standard Epic cable and still haven’t decided on the best tips, although I’m leaning toward the silicone star tips. 

I listen to a wide variety of music with emphasis on classical, jazz, Patrick O’Hearn-type electronic/acoustic, etc. mostly in flac, Apple-lossless, aiff formats. The W60s sit comfortably in my ears day and sometimes night, giving me hours of newly-discovered musical pleasure. 

I see that some have had problems with cracked faceplates on the W60, and seem to indicate that the plastic is a problem. On mine, the shells seem to be aluminum (or an alloy) skin over a plastic core. I see that I have revision 4 of the W60. Maybe this is new?

Regarding the storage case (vault)….what is the purpose of the valve on the front of the case? I see the rubber o-ring and seal, which is great for water protection, but why the valve on the front?

BTW, I found my Triple Fi’s a few days ago. My wife is enjoying these.

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,112 of 1,957

Can you post some photos please?
How big is ES60 compared to W60.

UM Pro 50, W60, Savant, DITA, Ei.xx and ES60

Westone ES60 full review is up with a comparison to W60, W60+UM56, UM Pro50, Savant, Ei.xx, and DITA (recabled): http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-elite-series-es60/reviews/14468

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,113 of 1,957

Westone ES60 full review is up with a comparison to W60, W60+UM56, UM Pro50, Savant, Ei.xx, and DITA (recabled): http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-elite-series-es60/reviews/14468

Great writeup Twister. Its always fun reading your reviews.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,114 of 1,957

Great writeup Twister. Its always fun reading your reviews.

Thanks man!

Just want everybody to keep in mind, my reviews are subjective, relative to how I hear things.  Combination of different eartips and cables will make a noticeable difference in W60 sound, but not everybody going to hear the same.  If you enjoy your W60 - there is no urgent need to upgraded to ES60 :wink:  My reviews are intended to share my experience and to raise awareness of products.  Sadly, Westone doesn't get as much exposure when you search the net...

Nov 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,116 of 1,957
Thanks man!

Just want everybody to keep in mind, my reviews are subjective, relative to how I hear things.  Combination of different eartips and cables will make a noticeable difference in W60 sound, but not everybody going to hear the same.  If you enjoy your W60 - there is no urgent need to upgraded to ES60 :wink:  My reviews are intended to share my experience and to raise awareness of products.  Sadly, Westone doesn't get as much exposure when you search the net...

Don't mention it.
I find it interesting on how much the brain effects sound. Aside from the different canal shapes and sizes changing the sound, the brain can selectively ignore certain sounds. Resulting in different sounds for everyone.
Anyways, I think you are mostly spot on with the W60. I personally found my W60 as the perfect UIEMs. I any brighter and I might start to not like them.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,117 of 1,957
I've had my W60's now 3 months and the more I wear them, the more I can't get over how amazing they sound. I have now tried out Shure SE846's and Noble 5's, as well. SE846's were nearly impossible to wear and keep in my ears. Bass was good, no doubt, I expected that but it's the vocals/mids, and upper register that come up short compared to the W60's. The Noble 5's have great bass, but man the upper register became muddy and frankly, hard to stand. Comparing Peter Murphy's chorus on Deep's "Cuts You Up" is a clear winner on the W60 where the high's became painful to listen to on the Noble's. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,118 of 1,957
ooh....peter murphy. One of my favorites. I have all of his solo work and bahaus works too. The Cascade album, although more pop, remains my favorite of his works as whole. Check out sisters of mercy, "ribbons."
[VIDEO][http://youtu.be/Dscz6UXHjms/VIDEO]

I do miss my W60s in the upper registers. They are special in that area. The K10s bridge the gap of W60s to SE846s bass. They clear up the midrange of both significantly. The K10s are very transparent in that area. The upper end sparkle and smoothness crown stays with the W60s. I do prefer the K10s but there are tracks and genres where the W60s still shine.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,120 of 1,957
Westone have replaced my "broken" westone w60's with a brand new one.

Very good result and quick service to the UK.

Buyers beware if you live outside of America. The cost of insurance for such an expensive item is heart breaking.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,121 of 1,957

Buyers beware if you live outside of America. The cost of insurance for such an expensive item is heart breaking ​

I do not completely understand.  If they replaced it under warranty, why was it necessary to insure?  Why is it more expensive outside America (shipping and customs duties add to the cost, but insurance)?

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,122 of 1,957

Buyers beware if you live outside of America. The cost of insurance for such an expensive item is heart breaking.

What was wrong with your W60 and which postal service did you use?

I had to return my UM Pro 50 and I used Royal Mail's International Tracked and Signed service, which cost me about £14. It meant they were only insured for £250 but using a service which would insure them for their full price would have cost me about £60.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,123 of 1,957

I do not completely understand.  If they replaced it under warranty, why was it necessary to insure?  Why is it more expensive outside America (shipping and customs duties add to the cost, but insurance)?

If you send expensive items via post you can insure them against loss (or damage) in transit. You don't have to, but it's a good idea. A warranty isn't going to cover products lost in transit.

But if you are returning broken items for repair/replacement you don't pay any customs tax/duties.

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,124 of 1,957

If you send expensive items via post you can insure them against loss (or damage) in transit. You don't have to, but it's a good idea. A warranty isn't going to cover products lost in transit.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense (rather as I expected).  Your other post showed £60 to insure the full value, which is a lot, but not a huge percentage of the value, and certainly not heartbreaking (as suggested by mcsubzeroartist) ;  heartbreaking would be if one lost them in the post and hadn't paid the £60.    I read the original post as being something to do with replacing the "broken" goods, but perhaps you are right that it was about postal insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back