Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,081 of 1,957
  Not sure what a "flimsy" device is suppose to be built like when it is actually a delicate device that is used in ones ears.  I suppose you could build it like a tank like SE-Shure series but then it is so robust many have to remove after 15 minutes it is so painfully robust.

Bingo...well said. Plus I've owned the W3s, W4s for a number of years and yes, they were light and very comfortable, but they also lasted and lasted! My W60s seem to continue in that tradition.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,082 of 1,957
What track was it? Can you send it to me or let me have a short section where it occurs to doubt check and see if it's not just the track?

Hi,

It definetly is not the music track as its my own music and its been clinically verified tone for tone.

The westone gear seems to be playing up.

Ive decided to return the item to Westone for them to investigate but a word of warning...

I am based in the UK... Insurance costs to send this exspensive item toward USA is not cheap and Westone don't cover shipping out charges.

Their is no UK based westone house so its almost cut throat.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,083 of 1,957
 Hi,

It definetly is not the music track as its my own music and its been clinically verified tone for tone.

The westone gear seems to be playing up.

Ive decided to return the item to Westone for them to investigate but a word of warning...

I am based in the UK... Insurance costs to send this exspensive item toward USA is not cheap and Westone don't cover shipping out charges.

Their is no UK based westone house so its almost cut throat.

I wanted to actually check my gear with the same tone as you.
But I hope that it goes well. They provide some good service and it is a shame they don't have a facility in the UK.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #1,084 of 1,957
I wanted to actually check my gear with the same tone as you.
But I hope that it goes well. They provide some good service and it is a shame they don't have a facility in the UK.

Hi Guarashiereuro,,

Here is the track I was hearing the thick vibration on, let me know what tones you experience with it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wx2yu6

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,085 of 1,957
If you guys want to continue enjoying your W60, don't ever give into ES60 temptation because it will ruin your W60 experience.  I had to send my pair back to fix a silicone nozzle (ES60 body is acrylic while nozzle is silicone), and now can enjoy a perfect fitment after adjustment.  W60 is very sensitive to eartip selection, at least for me.  I went through every Westone tip, every Ety tip, and everything else I can find on ebay, and finally settled on Shure silicone olive tips.  But I wasn't able to achieve such balanced and natural sound with W60+UM56 like I'm hearing it with ES60 Custom IEM.  Pretty much W60 with a more refined sound, everything from soundstage improvement to a more precise retrieval of details - the mids are to die for!!! :)

And btw, also got review unit of Savant, and I'm hearing some similarities, mostly in mids and treble.  But Savant has a huge width expansion and more forward mids, though sub-bass is more polite (it's there but in lower quantity).

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,086 of 1,957
I already have the W60 (after reading your review I bought them 
wink.gif
) and I really enjoy them, this type of sound signature is really my cup of tea, this "organic sound signature" and warm side is just so orgasmic to my ears, specially for acoustical music. I have other pair for ProgRock anyway, for subway/street listening.

Now, I'm very curious to try the ES60 after reading this, but due to the fact that they are customs made, it's like flipping a coin in the air, a $1000 coin. So, for classical/jazz music (bed time listening session), and don't care about isolation, which one has the most balance/neutral sound and this organic sound/warm sound, is it just a "better" W60, or a different animal?

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #1,087 of 1,957
  I already have the W60 (after reading your review I bought them 
wink.gif
) and I really enjoy them, this type of sound signature is really my cup of tea, this "organic sound signature" and warm side is just so orgasmic to my ears, specially for acoustical music. I have other pair for ProgRock anyway, for subway/street listening.

Now, I'm very curious to try the ES60 after reading this, but due to the fact that they are customs made, it's like flipping a coin in the air, a $1000 coin. So, for classical/jazz music (bed time listening session), and don't care about isolation, which one has the most balance/neutral sound and this organic sound/warm sound, is it just a "better" W60, or a different animal?

ES60 is tuned slightly different than W60 (according to Westone).  I'm using W60 with TWag v3 cable and large Shure olive tips while ES60 with TWcu v3 cable.  In this config and using N6 as a source (fairly neutral-revealing DAP), ES60 has tighter low end with a slam closer to UM Pro 50 and SE846 bass performance, mid-bass is faster and better controlled than W60, also lower mids are leaner and upper mids are little more upfront in comparison to W60.  Soundstage perception is a little bit wider, but I'm not sure if this is an artifact of changes in mids.  The main difference I hear, only as part of a/b comparison, W60 mid-bass is more bloated and spills into lower mids making them thicker.  I never realized that by listening to W60, only when you compare to ES60, so please take this into consideration.

The problem for me with W60 is that medium size tips gives me mids performance closer to ES60 but bass looses its impact, and large size tips with its seal improvement give me a powerful bass but it's a bit bloated and spills into lower mids which results in a more laid back, warmer/thicker sound.  Btw, W60 was perfect until I experienced ES60 lol!  Pure Copper cable  contributed some improvement verses Pure Silver (in ES60).  And as I mentioned, eartips in my case play a significant role when it comes to mid-bass and lower mids - and I don't expect everybody to hear the same difference because we all have a different ear anatomy.

Another thing to keep in mind, W60 is UIEM which you can always "upgrade" by selling it, while you will be stuck with ES60 if you change your mind (and it's priced $300 higher).  So, if you are happy with W60 sound, I wouldn't loose your sleep over ES60.  For me personally, I'm hearing a definite improvement over W60.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,089 of 1,957

ES60 with TWcu v3 cable

basshead.gif

Sounds prosto prikol'no
biggrin.gif
  Pure copper does wonders to ES60 and works great with W60 (a lot of people prefer it), and I believe Whiplash Audio has a dealer in Moscow.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,090 of 1,957

Hi Guarashiereuro,,

Here is the track I was hearing the thick vibration on, let me know what tones you experience with it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wx2yu6

Thank you.

I hear no problems that you heard in your unit. I am pretty sure it was defective. I do however use a different set of tones to gauge and monitor the status of my equipment.​ Go down till you see Quality box and it should allow you to play the "Bass Shaker test". If you have something like Chrome, you can save the track and play it on whatever DAP you want as well. They also have many other tones that I use to train my ears and test other audio equipment. Here's the site:
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,091 of 1,957
pure copper is too expensive to be true! I was interested to hear the reviews in comparison with Umpro50!

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,092 of 1,957
  pure copper is too expensive to be true! I was interested to hear the reviews in comparison with Umpro50!

I like TWag v3 with UM Pro 50 and W60 (it brings up more details) and TWcu v3 with ES60 (it does wonders to the low end).

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,093 of 1,957
  Received my W60's today.

I will surely say the jump in SQ from from W40 to W60 is as large as from SE535 to SE846.  

W60 is absolute perfection!  It truly is.  When I put them in my ears there was no huge “wow” factor or  anything that knocked me off my feet.  Just basically the best sound I have heard out of an IEM perhaps ever,  in a very relaxed and laid back kind of way.   This is simply the best treble I have heard with any IEM at any price.  Not as insanely detailed as JH13 but presents it much better, so much more naturally.   JH16 treble is also natural sounding and similar to W60 but JH16 overall has a VERY heavy presentation to it.  It’s like the 1,200 calorie cheeseburger.  W60 strikes a really nice balance between JH13 and JH16.
I can honestly sit here and say I may have finally reached my END GAME.  I am listening for flaws, any single flaw or thing I would change and there is absolutely NOTHING.   No matter what I throw at it, it all sounds sensational.  While it is very balanced I find the listening experience VERY emotionally engaging.  I attribute this mainly to the airiness and transparency.  It's much more out of head versus SE846.

Compared to W40:  Remember, W40 adds perhaps 15% more bass over W4.    I estimate W60 adds another 15% from W40 but it sounds a little more dynamic in nature.  Very elastic.  The lower midrange veil of W4/40  is completely gone which makes the overall transparency and resolution to die for!  SE846 has great clarity but it cannot match the W60 in terms of resolution and transparency.

W60 bass is just as good as SE846 in terms of amount and extension, it just doesn’t hit quite as hard.  Not sure that is necessarily a fault.  W60 treble and transparency are better, no question. The W60 sound stage is larger than W40 and SE846 and there is an added “airiness” which is very euphoric.  This surely is a result of getting rid of the lower mid veil.   Then throw in a butter smooth slightly warm presentation and you have an amazing audiophile device. 

Like SE846, the W60 is very efficient.  Amp is really not adding much to the sound.

Is W60 worth it?  There is something sick about this hobby.   I have been listening to some very very good IEM’s these past several years.  Better than perhaps 99.5% of people out there (as you have too!).  But even at that level we find “flaws” or things we wish the IEM did better.  Granted these things can be subtle but in correcting them you end up virtually erasing any and every flaw you perceive which ultimately leads to audio bliss and total listening perfection.   W60 did this for me.  Price aside, isn't this what it's all about?   In essence, the search is over.   So no, it is not a huge difference over W40 but it's as if the engineers had the exact intentions of what little more I was wanting from W40 and completely nailed it.  So ergonomically comfortable, so smooth and refined sounding yet so detailed....its absolute perfection to my ears. 

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I am also very pleased with the W60.  I had passed over them forever because I was so happy with my custom IEM and I didn't feel the need universal fit IEM.  But wow, you nailed it with these.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #1,095 of 1,957
Reply to #120: Had to laugh, even though this is a post from a year ago.  Back in the day,  I remember taking my SE530s out of my ears and leaving the triple-flange tip behind.   The flare on the nozzle didn't stop it. ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back