Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,066 of 1,957

I have to disagree about the SE846 being the bass king. I far prefer the UM Pro 50's when it comes to bass.

I recently returned my SE846 to the dealer, after just 5 days of owning them, as I really didn't like them. They are very well built, and there is obvious quality about them, but I just can't say I found them very pleasant to listen to. I could hear that individual aspects of the sound were impressive, but the overall sound was really disappointing. And, to my surprise, the bass presentation was probably the biggest disappointment of all.

On first examination they have loads of sub-bass, but that's about it in terms of the good stuff. The SE846 don't seem to have much mid-bass, which is in my opinion more important than sub-bass, so the overall sound ends up being a bit hollow and unnatural. I also found the bass on my SE846 always seemed to sound a bit out of tune.

Listening to something like The Smiths, which has some great intricate bass lines, but not a great deal of deep sub-bass, is really unrewarding with the SE846. The bass lines disappear so far back behind the (overly) forward mids that it gets all but lost. Maybe the SE846 work for things like EDM or hip-hop, but it didn't impress me.

The UM Pro 50 bass doesn't go quite so deep, but boy does it hit hard when it needs to, and it has a lovely texture and decay. The UM Pro 50 just has a more silky, warm, and frankly enjoyable sound signature than the SE846. The UM Pro 50 also has a much wider sound-stage than the SE846, and better separation. The SE846 was quite congested, and gave me a headache after quite short listening sessions.

Of course, these are just my (honestly held) opinions, and I'm sure there are SE846 owners who would completely disagree with the things I've said.

I don't know anything about the W60 sound signature. I've been tempted to try them but, though they may be technically better, I'm not sure they would be closer to my sound signature preference than the UM Pro 50.

The assumptions and detail about the SE846 is based by collected information from the forums. I personally have not had any reasonable amount of time with them. I find the extension of the UM Pro 50 to be extremely good. One thing that I felt about the Pro 50s was their realism. Some of the guys who listened to the IEM in the UM Pro Series forum didn't like them and had quite a bit of negative to say. ​Though it was after they heard them and let the brain change to the sound signature did some of them understand the qualities of the Pro 50s.
While Westone IEMs don't have the build quality that Shure uses in their SE846, I can say that Westone's build isn't lacking either. Looking at their W60 (since I have them), it feels almost like it was made of ABS or some extremely rigid and durable plastic. Lightness doesn't mean fragile, low-grade, or weak. If that was the case, then gold would be super strong and we know that isn't the case. Graphene, strongest and most conductive material known to man, is super light but is strong as heck.
So I am eluding to the IEMs made by Westone aren't weak or bad by any means. If finishing is what you are going after, then the SE846 will be the thing to go with. But honestly, I would trade off better sound for slightly less quality in the finish work.

The W60s are awesome and I enjoy it a ton. Are they technically better? It depends on the person and their preferences. The W60 takes an opposite approach and makes everything open and clear. To some it makes it sound laid back and chill, but for me, that isn't the case. I found them to be quite fun and engaging but depends on the track. Instead of the UM Pro 50 that pulls you in forcefully, the W60s surround you and let you fall into its sound. Everything is still realistic but no stone is left unturned and is presented to you. If you like the Pro 50, the W60 will be in the opposite direction in sound presentation. However, it is worth a listen.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #1,067 of 1,957

So I am eluding to the IEMs made by Westone aren't weak or bad by any means. If finishing is what you are going after, then the SE846 will be the thing to go with. But honestly, I would trade off better sound for slightly less quality in the finish work.

I concur with that.  I have the SE846, and listening to the W60 at an airport booth (yeah it's a pretty crappy environment but it seals pretty well) the build just feels small and light.  The cable also feels flimsy.  The sound is better IMO, but I do feel the slightly flimsy feel holds me back from going further with this IEM.  I prefer the sound signature of the W60, as it's more musical to me.  The SE846 is great for straight vocals and bass, but they don't put the whole song together as well.  I had a feeling the bass was weaker on the W60.  The SE846  has really strong bass and I think that's it's strongest point.  I was listening to my Roxanne's so I couldn't directly compare with the SE846.  But compared to the Shure 1840 that I listened to briefly (all from Denon DA-10) the clarity was good too.  The Masters Dynamic MH40 really disappointed.  

BTW we used to have one of those parrots when I was a kid.  Kept saying chico... chico...  

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,068 of 1,957
  I concur with that.  I have the SE846, and listening to the W60 at an airport booth (yeah it's a pretty crappy environment but it seals pretty well) the build just feels small and light.  The cable also feels flimsy.  The sound is better IMO, but I do feel the slightly flimsy feel holds me back from going further with this IEM.  I prefer the sound signature of the W60, as it's more musical to me.  The SE846 is great for straight vocals and bass, but they don't put the whole song together as well.  I had a feeling the bass was weaker on the W60.  The SE846  has really strong bass and I think that's it's strongest point.  I was listening to my Roxanne's so I couldn't directly compare with the SE846.  But compared to the Shure 1840 that I listened to briefly (all from Denon DA-10) the clarity was good too.  The Masters Dynamic MH40 really disappointed.  

BTW we used to have one of those parrots when I was a kid.  Kept saying chico... chico...  

Trust me...it's not flimsy...it's light and strong. I put the W4s through their paces and took them everywhere and they were much lighter and more comfortable that the SE535s ever were. That's good design IMO. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,069 of 1,957

Trust me...it's not flimsy...it's light and strong. I put the W4s through their paces and took them everywhere and they were much lighter and more comfortable that the SE535s ever were. That's good design IMO. 

Hm ok.  I was just using the word like it sounds.  Didn't mean to imply that it's weak.  It's just very light.  People like heavy things what can I say.  

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #1,070 of 1,957

They are small and light, so its for good reason some feel that it has a low-quality build. Just as me and several others have said, that the IEM itself is not as fragile as it may seem. Actually, those things are strong as heck. I tried pushing down on it and there is no flex or anything. As for the cable, that is a different story. For the $50 they sell those things for, it is a disappointment. Shure has better made cables in my opinion. Since I use aftermarket cables only with my IEMs, I don't have that problem. The sound is even better when you use a higher quality, higher gauge cable so its impressive. I have never heard the SE846 so I can't really say if the W60 hits deeper or not as hard but it does have power. In fact, it's strong to keep me happy but not too much to blur the music.
I like the vocals from the W60 plenty, as they sound extremely natural and smooth while containing a massive amount of detail. All in all, I like really like the W60 and wish Westone supplied their TOTL with a better MMCX cable.

As for that parrot, that's pretty funny. Thanks for the small chuckle.​

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,071 of 1,957
  Hm ok.  I was just using the word like it sounds.  Didn't mean to imply that it's weak.  It's just very light.  People like heavy things what can I say.  

IMO, being small and light with 6 drivers per IEM says a lot about good design. 
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #1,072 of 1,957

I've owned the SE535s twice and they were quite good; then I heard the SE846s (all three filters a few separate times) and I felt let down a bit. I've always been a Westone fan (owned the W3, and W4) so the W60s were a logical next step for me. They have 6 drivers (2 bass, 2 mids, 2 tweeters) and 2 crossovers...Westone's never been afraid to push the technological boundaries so to speak; while Shure is more "conservative" here.

That said, after a few weeks with my W60s, I'm enthralled with them. They have a deep natural bass (that sounds better controlled on my AK240SS), the mids aren't so "in your face" as the Shures and a bit more "real" sounding...and the treble is on the sweet side while never strident, nor shrill.  So 2 weeks in, I'm a really happy camper!

I remember reading this post and thinking...I think it is the total opposite. Westone was lazy on the innovation with the Westone 6...6 drivers and 3 crossovers...so many customs and several universals do that. But the bass on the 846...they developped a technology no one has and TO MY EARS, have some of the best bass around.

I am saying after a few month because I just saw this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785377/shure-kse1500-review-shure-kse1500-sound-isolating-electrostatic-earphones#post_12013133, and it reminded of your comment. I think Shure a clearly pushing boundaries clearly more than Westone.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,073 of 1,957
is w60 a 'better' iem than the UM miracle ?

both are 6-drivers , 3-crossover if i remember correctly....

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #1,074 of 1,957
  I remember reading this post and thinking...I think it is the total opposite. Westone was lazy on the innovation with the Westone 6...6 drivers and 3 crossovers...so many customs and several universals do that. But the bass on the 846...they developped a technology no one has and TO MY EARS, have some of the best bass around.

I am saying after a few month because I just saw this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/785377/shure-kse1500-review-shure-kse1500-sound-isolating-electrostatic-earphones#post_12013133, and it reminded of your comment. I think Shure a clearly pushing boundaries clearly more than Westone.

I find the bass on the SE846s too much to for me...I much prefer the W60 or especially the Layla's bass presentation. The treble roll off was still there for the SE846s too 
confused.gif
...but it was an improvement over the SE535s.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,076 of 1,957
  who compared the w50 and w60? big difference?

Who searches and reads reviews on head-fi?
wink.gif
  Read all the way down at the bottom where I did comparison with W60, SE846, and UM Pro 50: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-w50-five-driver-universal-fit-noise-isolating-earphones-78505/reviews/13490

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,078 of 1,957
Not sure what a "flimsy" device is suppose to be built like when it is actually a delicate device that is used in ones ears.  I suppose you could build it like a tank like SE-Shure series but then it is so robust many have to remove after 15 minutes it is so painfully robust.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,079 of 1,957
+1. That was the reason why I sold Shure 846 for being so bulky. Night and day in comfort compare to W60s.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,080 of 1,957
So after I have gotten my replacement Rev4 W60s, I have not had ANY problems with the plates. I think it could just have been a problem with either my unit or Rev3 as a whole. Either way, I am a happy camper. Together with my QP1R, this thing sings. I have my spare SPC cable from Ted Allen. While it may not have a "high-quality build" that the SE846, it definitely feels strong and has a wonderful sound. Listening to the Eagles on these is an experience. Its like when I first heard their songs on my father's audio stuff, as a little boy. I can't help but smile.

As for that one guy who stated that Shure has been innovating more than Westone. I don't completely agree with you. The W60 is a very underrated IEM and most people don't even know about it compared to the SE846. Shure, you could have better advertisement and people will think it is better. What I want to say is the W60 may not "innovate" on the UIEM market but they are definitely one of the best UIEM on the market in terms of audio and comfort. Implementation is as important as innovation and W60 has implementation down in both its sound and comfort fit, as many have stated already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back