Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,126 of 1,957

If you send expensive items via post you can insure them against loss (or damage) in transit. You don't have to, but it's a good idea. A warranty isn't going to cover products lost in transit.

But if you are returning broken items for repair/replacement you don't pay any customs tax/duties.

I don't think this is quite correct. Unfortunately, replacement items are still liable for VAT 
frown.gif

http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/my-goods-were-sent-outside-the-eu-to-be-repaired-do-i-have-to-pay-import-duty-and-vat-when-they-are-returned-to-me/

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,128 of 1,957

As long as the company mark the replacement product as having zero value (which Westone do) it comes back through customs without any VAT charges.

It's absolutely ridiculous that HMRC should claim VAT on a product that has already been subject to VAT previously.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,129 of 1,957

As long as the company mark the replacement product as having zero value (which Westone do) it comes back through customs without any VAT charges.

Interesting - I didn't know they did that as a matter of course. Out-of-warranty replacement is perhaps more of grey area, though I have found Westone to be very accommodating in that situation also 
smile.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,131 of 1,957
Did anyone tried with Lotoo Paw?
Would like to hear your opinions.

You mean PAW Gold?  W60 pairs up very nice, a typical lush, smooth, warm sound.  PG is among the most neutral and accurate DAPs I have heard to date (working on review now), so it only bring up the best in any headphones with a warm signature.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,133 of 1,957
Can Westone W60 be used without the face plates?
Will that affect the sound?
Reason i am asking is that they will be even smaller, comfortable after removing the plates.
Anyone can confirm?
Thanks

Faceplate is just a cosmetic add-on, no effect on acoustics of the IEM.  I never tried without it, but I'm afraid it will feel rough due to indent in the shell to fit the faceplate in.  Together with a faceplate it's a smooth bean shaped shell.

Nov 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,134 of 1,957
So the W60 sound won't change or open up in time?
Only dynamic drivers benefit from the burn in effect but not the balanced armatures?
Can you please recommend the best cable for them no matter what price.
Silver, silver gold plated? Do they really improve the sound compared to the stock cable? Can you give me more details.
I like the Westones sound signature.
My pair will arrive soon and i am hoping to like them a lot.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,135 of 1,957
Only dynamic drivers benefit from the burn in effect but not the balanced armatures?
Silver, silver gold plated? Do they really improve the sound compared to the stock cable? Can you give me more details.

Patience.my friend.  Don't assume the stock cable is garbage.  I love the stock Westone cable for everything including sound.  It's also about synergy with you gear.  Maybe you won't need to drop another $200 on a cable.  Twister6 is the best source for cables on Westone IEM's.  Search around the forum for his reviews.  You can't go wrong.

....and no, sound will NOT change with BA drivers.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,136 of 1,957

Just as Spyro has said. The Westone stock is a good wire. Just with speakers or any analog signal, a larger gauge wire will make the sound better. I believe that fact from changing. But spending lots of money on cables something you do after your find the system you like. Cables will only bring refinement to the sound, not completely change it. The Westone sound will still sound like Westone.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,137 of 1,957
Just to add to above two suggestions, absolutely, Epic cable is not that bad!  In terms of build quality, I never had issues with a stock cable.  In terms of a sound quality, some people hear difference with upgrade cables, and others don't.  It's a very subjective thing, and sometime depends on your source (output impedance of your headphone output), and other factors.

What I would suggest, spend some time with a stock cable, especially when you are getting a brand new pair of W60.  Get to know its signature.  Why go through upgrade and spend $200-$300 to fix something that might not be broken to begin with?
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,139 of 1,957
I just got my QP1R back. Anyways, the QP1R sounds absolutely fantastic. It sound perfect in terms of its "directness". I don't agree with the comments on it being "laid back" but its not forward either. Its a happy medium. Too bad more people haven't heard them yet.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,140 of 1,957
I just got my QP1R back. Anyways, the QP1R sounds absolutely fantastic. It sound perfect in terms of its "directness". I don't agree with the comments on it being "laid back" but its not forward either. Its a happy medium. Too bad more people haven't heard them yet.

What happened, why did you get it "back"?  I heard a lot of great things about QP1R in terms of sound quality, and most of the complains are regarding slippery scrolling wheel, bumping into buttons (?), and GUI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back