Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #662 of 1,957
  Hi guys,

I have the W40 (which I love). Im using them with my Samsung Note 4, Noozxoide EIZO-rewire as VSP and Neutron as music player. I really want to get the best from my music (ALAC).

Do you think upgrading to the W60 would be worth it or overkill for my note 4 ?

Thanks everyone !

Can't comment on the Note 4, but the W60 sounds great straight out of the iPhone 6 - and everything else I've tried it with, for that matter. Also, I jumped from W4 to W60 so can't provide a comparison with the W40. The W60 price is pretty excessive so you either need to have piles of spare cash or a very strong desire for the best possible sound quality :) 

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #665 of 1,957
Didnt know a cable could make that mich difference. Wondering if I should just change the cable on my W40 instead. Could be a bit cheaper that way...

Yes a good cable can make a very very big difference...I suggest you do some research into different types of cables and how they can sound in terms of say bass, treble, overall clarity, soundstage etc.. cables could range from costing only $20 to $800 or more

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #666 of 1,957
I will chime in as a former owner (nearly 1 year of ownership) of the W60.

1. The Samsung Note products are hiss beasts and are not going to give any TOTL IEM the best (owned 2 of them,,.note 3 and note 4)
2. If you are willing to amp/dac a Samsung Note with USB OTG to dac/amp like RSA Intruder then the game changes and yes the W60 would be a serious upgrade
3. An ipod touch does better than the Note phones. A good player like Tuneshell or Denon ups the game further and saves your phone battery life.

A question that was not asked but should be answered- order of upgrades?
1. Music files. Get lossless and seek out well recorded music with minimal to zero dynamic compression.
2. IEMs/Headphones
3. Players

This will offend some, but it is my honest opinion and I am sorry. Even Higher fidelity Spotify, iTunes downloads, and other streaming music is a total mess sonically, Gauging music based on this is as broken as a six pack with 4 beers. If this is you, don't bother looking for more. Grab the white things that came with your phone and call it a day. Dynamically compressed, or compressed streamed garbage through the best audio chain is still garbage.

YMMV.

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #667 of 1,957
  Do you have any cable to suggest ? 

contact cCasper TFG he make awesome cable, tell him to make you the same nucleotide as Law87, the cable make a difference for me!

if your note produce hiss, get an impedance adaptor, I have a 50ohms impedance adaptor for my W60 when use with the Alo Mk3 B+ but when I use with the JDS C5D (modded) it is noise free!

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #668 of 1,957
  Didnt know a cable could make that mich difference. Wondering if I should just change the cable on my W40 instead. Could be a bit cheaper that way...

if the W40 satisfied u then dont worry about upgrading, but dont let curiousity get the best of you and try on the W60...because you will get addicted to it.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #669 of 1,957
  if the W40 satisfied u then dont worry about upgrading, but dont let curiousity get the best of you and try on the W60...because you will get addicted to it.

Indeed I am satisfied, but I know I don't get their full potential with my note 4. Thats why I need to choose between getting a better cable, a portable amp or just upgrading to w60. Sadly can't afford them all ;p

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #671 of 1,957

Indeed I am satisfied, but I know I don't get their full potential with my note 4. Thats why I need to choose between getting a better cable, a portable amp or just upgrading to w60. Sadly can't afford them all ;p

The last piece in the audio chain will always make the most difference. Don't waste money on cables, amps, or sources, unless you already have the best possible IEM (subjectively of course, TOTL model is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea) and are still willing to throw money to tentatively (or confirmation bias-ly) improve it.

May 3, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #673 of 1,957
Looking to get a new Universal IEM and narrowed it down so far to the SE846 and W60 but leaning towards the latter. Anyone who has heard both, which IEM has a wider soundstage and more air? Which might be better suited for acoustic, folk, jazz, singer/songwriter music? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

May 3, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #674 of 1,957
Looking to get a new Universal IEM and narrowed it down so far to the SE846 and W60 but leaning towards the latter. Anyone who has heard both, which IEM has a wider soundstage and more air? Which might be better suited for acoustic, folk, jazz, singer/songwriter music? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! 

I'd say W60 is airier

May 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #675 of 1,957

Definitely W60.  Larger soundstage, better treble, more depth.  Much less fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back