Westone W60 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #631 of 1,957
  recently got a pico slim for the w60....

Pro:
No harshness what at all!
no hiss up to 2 o clock ( I listen at 12, its pretty loud already)
No emi
Solid construction
Sound stage is on par with JDS lab C5D
bass is well control
mid is thick, but not forward or in your face (maybe 1-2 db from jdslab c5d), it feels like there is some beef to it.
super portable.

Cons:
it's a warm amp combining with the W60 making it even warmer

The cons is making me  want to look else where, I am currently using a Copper LO, just bought a silver LO hopefully it will change my mind. I really  missed the Alo Mk2 for it spacious soundstage, but the lack of warranty of repair by Alo making me not wanting to get it used.

It's warm to neutral maybe the warmness of my source causing the extra warmth... from everywhere i read its a neutral sounding headphone. The bass is about mid to high gain (bass) in the JDS lab C5D which also lead me to believe its a "warmth" amp.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #632 of 1,957
  Don't forget Ray Samuels Line of Amps.  Prior to buying a HUGO, I ran with his amp.  Extremely well built, exceptional customer service and wonderful sound.  Very highly recommended!  Also, be sure to look on the preowned market as  his warranty is so good that you really don't have to worry too much about buying used.  

This amp sounded great with Audeze, Shure SE846, Westone W60s and pretty much anything you could throw at it.

YMMV.

Speaking of amps, I tested the W60 with an ALO Rx Mk3-B+ last week, and it was a great experience. The amp extended the W60's strengths, expanding its soundstage, and giving it a nice boost in the bass department. I think the W60 is certainly one of those IEMs that shines particularly well with an amp.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #633 of 1,957
I think the difference between the 846 and the W60 is the same between Pepsi and Coke. Pepsi is sweeter, so people prefer it in taste tests where you only get a few sips. But for the whole can, Coke pulls ahead.

I recently got a silver/copper double-helix cable for my W60s, and it takes the sound to a whole new level....

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #634 of 1,957
I think the difference between the 846 and the W60 is the same between Pepsi and Coke. Pepsi is sweeter, so people prefer it in taste tests where you only get a few sips. But for the whole can, Coke pulls ahead.

I recently got a silver/copper double-helix cable for my W60s, and it takes the sound to a whole new level....

nice I'm jealous, I love that cable with my Alpha dog.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #636 of 1,957

I just bought Whiplash Audio's Reference IEM cable with Furutech-735 connector. I can finally understand and fully appreciate what the W60s can do. Very expensive cable indeed ($500+) but totally worth it.

Yeah, if you had asked me even a year ago if I would be spending $500 on a headphone __cable__ I would've called you nuts, but I love it. The thing is, I fully intend to be using this same cable 20 years from now on the Westone W200s. So they are a much more durable investment than almost anything else. 

And, they really do help to make the most of the IEMs. I read in an interview with Peter Bradstock, who makes these cables, that they only make a 10-15% difference. And I think that's true. But that last 10-15% is really nice. :wink:

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #638 of 1,957
  A 50€ silver plated cable just did it to me :p

Whole new level.

Yeah. I think a big portion of the gains I got from my baby could be gotten for much less. 

I mean, even if you spend $100 on a cable, think how much more that is than what the manufacturer spent on the stock cable ($5-10 is my uneducated guess).

I'd love to buy a cheaper-but-still-nice cable to compare, but that would be more money.  

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #639 of 1,957
Yeah, if you had asked me even a year ago if I would be spending $500 on a headphone __cable__ I would've called you nuts, but I love it. The thing is, I fully intend to be using this same cable 20 years from now on the Westone W200s. So they are a much more durable investment than almost anything else. 

And, they really do help to make the most of the IEMs. I read in an interview with Peter Bradstock, who makes these cables, that they only make a 10-15% difference. And I think that's true. But that last 10-15% is really nice. :wink:

Wow nice cable! what brand is it? yea about the extortionate price, my curiosity got the better of me. like you I'd also love to try another wire that's less well known but is of a high quality. I bought the whiplash wire simply because of all the favourable reviews it's had. thanks for the share!

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #640 of 1,957
Wow nice cable! what brand is it? yea about the extortionate price, my curiosity got the better of me. like you I'd also love to try another wire that's less well known but is of a high quality. I bought the whiplash wire simply because of all the favourable reviews it's had. thanks for the share!

DHC: 

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=112

I really love it, but like I said, the only thing I have to compare it with is the stock cable. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #641 of 1,957

DHC: 

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=112

I really love it, but like I said, the only thing I have to compare it with is the stock cable. 

wish i live near you man, I have the same cable for my Alpha dog and its awesome!

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #642 of 1,957
Just got a W60 from a fellow head fier. It is truly an upgrade from w4r in every aspect. Tight and controlled bass, sweet and lush mids, airy and open treble. The overall sound is more dynamic and fluid. Sound stage can be improved a little bit but it is a common problem for iem. I have not listened to many high end IEMs, but W60 is really in a different level than my IE8 and w4r. I do not know how to deal with my w4r now...

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #643 of 1,957
  Just got a W60 from a fellow head fier. It is truly an upgrade from w4r in every aspect. Tight and controlled bass, sweet and lush mids, airy and open treble. The overall sound is more dynamic and fluid. Sound stage can be improved a little bit but it is a common problem for iem. I have not listened to many high end IEMs, but W60 is really in a different level than my IE8 and w4r. I do not know how to deal with my w4r now...

recently sold my W40 :frowning2: really a gem but I am not rich enough to keep two.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #644 of 1,957

recently sold my W40 :frowning2: really a gem but I am not rich enough to keep two.

w4r is a little too distant sometimes. w60 is warmer and musical to my ears. But I was pretty satisfied with w4r before. I know I can only keep one of those two. The question which one will last depends on how needy of money I will be in the next month or two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back