Westone UM3X Thread
Oct 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #3,932 of 4,413
Quote:
I have to say that even though I wasn't impressed with the UM3x at first, it really grows on you. I'm selling my TF10 now (terrible fit...) and even considering selling the ER4 now too. It just feels so thin compared to the UM3x. This is an IEM that really doesn't stand out at first, but it does so many things well that you can't help but love it after using it. I'm getting a pair of Heir 4.Ais, so we'll see how they compare.

How would you compare your Etys to these? Do they compare well in the imaging and detail department? And is the bass considerably more?

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,934 of 4,413
Quote:
How would you compare your Etys to these? Do they compare well in the imaging and detail department? And is the bass considerably more?

The bass is quite a bit more, but I wouldn't call either of their bass heavy. The UM3x probably has a bit more weight.

Really though, I just like the imaging and spacing of the UM3x a lot better. The mids and vocals are exactly where I want them to be, slightly ahead of my head.

Detail, the Etys win, but they're quite a bit more fatiguing too. The UM3x is perfect when it comes to easy listening. That and the fact that they're easily the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3,935 of 4,413
Compared to Etys, the UM3X will sound like bass cannons.  Easily 2-3 times more qty and weight but I am saying that more about how light the Ety bass  is versus how big the UM3X bass is.

Main difference is Ety accentuates the upper midrange and treble where UM3X accentuates the midrange and bass.  Other than that they are similar in what they do.  The ability to add some treble EQ makes the UM3X a far better IEM, let alone the dynamic range also dwarfs the Ety being a triple driver.  Unless you are an extreme treble head the UM3X beats it soundly.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #3,936 of 4,413
Quote:

I don't find the loss of detail significant, and once you've been listening to the UM3Xs for a while, I don't find myself noticing anything missing.  Swapping straight from the 4Ps (as in, within a few minutes/hours) will have you thinking "What do I do with all this bass", but after a while (minutes) you should become accustomed, and what you're left with is a velvety-smooth sound that is still very detailed, but powerful when the track calls for it.  I just love the presence it gives strings and female vocals over the ER4s, and I also exclusively use it when listening to EDM/Dubstep.

I still listen with my ER4s, but most of the time I go straight for the UM3Xs, because I find he music loses very little up top and gains some much-needed presence and flavour in the bass and (more-so) the mids.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,939 of 4,413
Quote:

The bass is quite a bit more, but I wouldn't call either of their bass heavy. The UM3x probably has a bit more weight.

Really though, I just like the imaging and spacing of the UM3x a lot better. The mids and vocals are exactly where I want them to be, slightly ahead of my head.

Detail, the Etys win, but they're quite a bit more fatiguing too. The UM3x is perfect when it comes to easy listening. That and the fact that they're easily the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned.

Quote:
Compared to Etys, the UM3X will sound like bass cannons.  Easily 2-3 times more qty and weight but I am saying that more about how light the Ety bass  is versus how big the UM3X bass is.

Main difference is Ety accentuates the upper midrange and treble where UM3X accentuates the midrange and bass.  Other than that they are similar in what they do.  The ability to add some treble EQ makes the UM3X a far better IEM, let alone the dynamic range also dwarfs the Ety being a triple driver.  Unless you are an extreme treble head the UM3X beats it soundly.

Quote:
I don't find the loss of detail significant, and once you've been listening to the UM3Xs for a while, I don't find myself noticing anything missing.  Swapping straight from the 4Ps (as in, within a few minutes/hours) will have you thinking "What do I do with all this bass", but after a while (minutes) you should become accustomed, and what you're left with is a velvety-smooth sound that is still very detailed, but powerful when the track calls for it.  I just love the presence it gives strings and female vocals over the ER4s, and I also exclusively use it when listening to EDM/Dubstep.

I still listen with my ER4s, but most of the time I go straight for the UM3Xs, because I find he music loses very little up top and gains some much-needed presence and flavour in the bass and (more-so) the mids.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear. My Cowon seems to overdo the high frequencies when compared to my friends Ipod, so a focus on the lower end is a welcome thing.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #3,940 of 4,413
Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear. My Cowon seems to overdo the high frequencies when compared to my friends Ipod, so a focus on the lower end is a welcome thing.

They pair very well with bright-sounding players. I think you will be pleased :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #3,941 of 4,413
Random comment:

While I prefer silicon tips for comfort....the um3x's sound infinitely better with the grey foamies they come with.  A shame I don't find them nearly as comfortable as the large grey silicon tips.  Just a heads up, the tips really do matter on these imo.  Even if you don't like foamies, might be worth it just to try them out.

Nov 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #3,942 of 4,413
Quote:
Hello Everybody I'm new here.

I was wondering what is the exact difference between UM3X and the Westone 4R, which one do you think sounds better?

Thanks for everyone's input.

The 4R is more neutrally balanced and has a more spread out expansive soundstage.  It is warm and somewhat laid back sounding.  Very smooth, very professional.  All frequencies well represented.  I would call UM3X more aggressive, more forward with a more intimate soundstage.  Gorgeous midrange and a decent treble that responds well to some added EQ.  Bass is more abundant and slams harder but it is not overdone.  Also a very butter smooth and refined sounding IEM.  

Someone that prefers perfection and balance would probably prefer the 4R and someone that wants to rock out to the music might prefer UM3X.  No better, just different at this level.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #3,943 of 4,413
Quote:
Random comment:

While I prefer silicon tips for comfort....the um3x's sound infinitely better with the grey foamies they come with.  A shame I don't find them nearly as comfortable as the large grey silicon tips.  Just a heads up, the tips really do matter on these imo.  Even if you don't like foamies, might be worth it just to try them out.

Try the Shure black (olive) foamies... you may find you like them even more.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3,944 of 4,413
Try the Shure black (olive) foamies... you may find you like them even more.

Those are definitely the best tips I've used, comfort wise and sound wise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back