Westone UM3X Thread
Aug 23, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3,198 of 4,413
UM3X Review - starting from scratch.

I've posted in the past that I liked the UM3X almost as much as the W3, where most of my comparisons were done with my UM56 tips which tend to equalize the disparity a bit between these two IEM.  I've compared the UM3X with W3 at Canjam 2009, Colorado meet July 2009, and then my most recently in Oct 2009 at RMAF (after losing my 1st pair of W3 and UM56).  When I compared these two IEM with Complys tips at RMAF, I walked away with another W3.  Since then I had forgotten how good the UM3X sound, but I picked up a pair with the removable cable  last Friday so that I could use them with in balanced mode with my Protector amp.  But before tonight I hadn't even tried them with the Protector or Pico Slim, because I've been enjoying them so much with my Macbook > Nuforce uDAC-2 and plain old iPhone 4 headphone out.  They don't beat out my ES3X or new ES5, but they definitely perform very well for a universal IEM, coming out ahead of my Livewires T1 or Alien Ears C3 customs (and my SE530 in a custom shell).

One of the first things I noticed was that while they are just as efficient as my W3 or ES3X, they have noticeably less hiss when plugged into my ALO Amphora amp.  With the volume turned down I can hear more hiss with my W3, and my ES3X reveal so much hiss that I stopped using them with the Amphora.  But somehow my UM3X are fairly quiet with the Amphora (and so are my very sensitive Westone ES5).  The hiss with UM3X is below the level of my chronic tinnitus, and not intrusive at all.  With my other quieter amps the UM3X are silent.  I used to recommend the IE8 as a good universal IEM for the Amphora since they didn't hiss with it, but now I can also recommend the UM3X too. 

I was quite pleased to find that my UM3X with removable cable came with the complete Westone fit kit, with a wide variety of tips included, and not just the Complys.  I don't know if this comes with all of them, or just the special package that was meant for me.  I've settled on using either my UM56 tips or the single flange silicone tips, but I wasn't getting a good seal with the short Complys that were pre-installed on them.  I typically keep my custom UM56 tips in a carry-case with my W3 because those really benefit the most from custom tips (almost demand them I should say, although long Complys are my second choice with W3).  But I like the single flange silicone on the UM3X more than on the W3, and they're quick to insert into the ears.  So I'm fine with leaving the UM56 paired up with the W3 and just using silicone universal tips with the UM3X.  For the benefit of others who don't have the UM56 custom tips, I will compare the UM3X to the W3 here while using universal tips only, and this makes a difference over which IEM I prefer.

The UM3X frequency response is definitely more neutral than the W3, and I was afraid that they would start to sound boring after a while, but I've listened to them many times since I received them and they haven't disappointed me yet.  With the single flange silicone tips the UM3X seem to sound best with a shallow insertion, while the W3 sound best with a deep ear canal insertion.  So, switching to the W3 with the single flange tips pushed in deeply, I find the bass to be similar in depth and power, but the W3 are somewhat boosted in the mid-bass vs the UM3X.  The mids of the W3 are not as forward as the UM3X, but not terribly recessed either.  The UM3X highs are slightly muted vs the W3, but not dark in any way, and not as aggressive as the W3 can be with the wrong tips or wrong insertion depth.  The UM3X have better treble sparkle than the IE8 that I got rid of at RMAF, which seemed to have a recessed treble in comparison.  

Overall, I would say the UM3X have just the right amount of bass, mids and treble to strike a nice natural balance, while the W3 have more of a "fun" frequency response if using the stock tips (but more natural with UM56 tips).   I also tried low bit-rate downloads with the UM3X (Breaking Benjamin, Dave Matthews), and the UM3X seems a bit more forgiving of low bit-rate downloads than the W3.  This also varies somewhat according to what amp I am using, and the Amphora was best with UM3X, closely followed by the Pico Sim and uDAC-2, then DACport, iBasso D4, iPhone 4 headphone out, with the Protector last but still in the running.  With high quality recordings in lossless, the amps grouped more closely together in performance.

Tonight I started by listening to Eiji Oue Minnesota Orchestra "Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances" via Macbook Pro > uDAC-2 and the UM3X sounded very immersive and detailed, smooth and musical without any etch, with nice deep bass and ambience that gives the venue good space and size.  The presentation is more like being in the 1st or 2nd row than 10th row like the W3 ("mid-hall" if the W3 are using the single flange tips with shallow insertion).  But they're not so forward as to place you right on the stage.  And the depth changes depending on the recording, so I think that maybe they do reflect fairly well what the producer had in mind.  This particular recording is very dynamic, and in the louder parts I kept thinking "this is gonna disturb my wife, I better turn it down", and then I'd remember that I'm listening to an IEM.  So, I'd have to say these are pretty transparent sounding!  These are noticeably more transparent than the Monster Turbine Pro Copper that I had here on loan last week, or my Triple.fi 10 Pro (TF10Pro).  

Changing to Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" with the W3 still in my ears, I can hear their mid-bass boost more easily.  However, the vocals are rich and present, and not recessed as some have claimed (unless I pull the W3 out so they are inserted less deeply).  Switching to the UM3X with this same music I find the mid-bass to be a little more tame and controlled, i.e. better balanced.  Although the UM3X have slightly less impact and power in the mid-bass, they go down just as deeply.  This bass levels are at least on par with other IEM like the TF10Pro, but without the colored mid-bass of the TF10Pro.  (note - the W3 bass is closer to the UE11Pro.)  While more forward sounding than the W3, the UM3X mids don't jump out at me as being too forward at all, although they do put me a little closer to the stage than the W3.  The TF10Pro mids sound recessed and lifeless in comparison.  The UM3X's more forward mids don't seem to hurt the UM3X soundstage size, which still remains wide and deep for me.  Typically the uDAC-2 amp has a slightly smaller and more forward soundstage than my opamp rolled iBasso D4 or D10, Pico Slim or Amphora, but the midrange presence is still just about right when any of these amps are paired with the UM3X. 

I'm always looking for synergy with my source/amps, so I tried a few (but not all of them yet).  Switching to the Pico DAC > Protector amp with balanced TWag cable, I find the sound to be slightly more aggressive than via the uDAC-2 (due to the amp), along with a slightly bigger sense of space or separation.  I've heard this same aggressiveness in the Protector with other phones as well, and it sounds better with HD600 than HD800 for example.  Strangely, the Protector's slight aggressiveness in balanced mode is improved when using single ended mode, but the power and soundstage suffer in single ended mode so I don't typically use single ended mode.  While I think the Protector is a better match for other phones that benefit from it's more aggressive sound signature, it's still enjoyable with the UM3X - just not as much.  My ALO Amphora is also plugged into my Pico DAC-only, and I moved the UM3X back and forth between Protector and Amphora a few times.  The Amphora single-ended simply sounds better with these IEM than the Protector, and again I can recommend this amp/IEM combo without reservation.

Plugging the UM3X back into the uDAC-2 again while still using the balanced TWag cable (with single ended adapter) the UM3X sounds a little more detailed than it did with the stock cable before.  It seems to me that the TWag cable is a worthwhile upgrade for the UM3X for some extra micro-detail, although the stock cable isn't bad at all and cables are the last upgrade you should seek after finding a good IEM, source and amp.  The TWag cable is a good reason to get the UM3X with removable cable, while the Protector's balanced soundstage is just an added plus.  If you get a TWag cable, you should consider a balanced cable with the single ended adapter, so it's more versatile in the future.  You can even get an adapter to let you use the Protector version of the cable with the new iBasso balanced amp.

Moving the UM3X over to my iPhone 4 > TWag LOD > Pico Slim also made me really happy.  The UM3X sound like they were made for the Pico Slim.  I believe the Slim was voiced with ES3X, and just like with my ES3X the UM3X really shine with the Pico Slim (while the Protector stands out with my JH13Pro, UE11Pro, or HD600 and HE-5/5-LE).  The bass depth and power with the Pico Slim is improved over the iPhone 4 headphone out, which wasn't bad until I directly compared the two.  The treble extension and space is also improved with the Pico Slim, and the overall presentation is more refined and immersive sounding.  The Protector in single-ended mode sounds closer to this than it does in balanced mode (I don't know why), but I still give the nod to the Slim (or uDAC-2).  Nevertheless, the Amphora that I mentioned above is even better with these.  But for portable use, the Pico Slim is my favorite amp for the UM3X.

I wondered about frequency response, and as an after thought I pulled out "Bink Audio Test CD" and ran frequency test tones.  With most amps my 48 year old ears can hear from 16Hz to 16Khz with the UM3X.  With the uDAC-2 I found there was a small bump at 2500-3150Hz that isn't there with the single-ended Protector or Amphora (likely the amp), and another at 6300-8000 that was there with the Protector and uDAC-2.  However, the Amphora was fairly rolled off for the 16Hz tones, and the only peak I heard was at 8Khz.  This is similar to what I heard with the ES3X last time I checked.  Although this 6-8K range is in the sibilant frequencies, the UM3X have no sibilance boosting properties.  Sadly, the Protector amp seems to distort with the 16- 32Hz tones (only did this single-ended), but the uDAC-2 and Amphora were clean (this was with a full charge and plugged into the wall). 

SUMMARY:  There is no doubt that I would pick either of these IEM over my old IE8 and most other universal IEM.  But after adjusting to the UM3X sound, I actually may prefer the UM3X just a little more than my W3, at least with certain recordings and the right tips.  For instance, after listening to Bill Evans "Waltz for Debbie" with the UM3X, switching to the W3 made the string bass stand out more than the piano, and the venue sounded a little more hollow and "echoey" to me with the W3.  On the other hand, with Led Zepellin "Mothership" or Pink Floyd "Animals" the W3 seemed a little more punchy and fun to rock out to.  

And switching the W3 to Complys tips or my UM56 custom tips seemed to level the playing field a little more than when using silicone single flange tips on both. The W3 I used are the limited edition #82/333 with the gold logo instead of red logo, but they sound the same as the regular W3 that are out on loan (I've compared them).  In the end, if you are looking for an accurate, detailed and transparent universal IEM, with a removable cable that can be upgraded or balanced, with good isolation and comfortable fit, then look no further than the UM3X.  I still think my W3 are up near the top, but maybe they're not as good of an all around "jack of all trades", nor quite as accurate as the UM3X are when you are forced to use universal tips with them.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #3,199 of 4,413
@ Headphonaddict, thanks for the informative and detailed review of the w3 and um3x , very interesting read.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #3,202 of 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was quite pleased to find that my UM3X with removable cable came with the complete Westone fit kit, with a wide variety of tips included, and not just the Complys.  I don't know if this comes with all of them, or just the special package that was meant for me.

Nope. The fit kit now comes with all the UM3X with removable cables. Not too sure about the original one though.

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #3,203 of 4,413
Quote:
HeadphoneAddict said:

...I was quite pleased to find that my UM3X with removable cable came with the complete Westone fit kit, with a wide variety of tips included, and not just the Complys.  I don't know if this comes with all of them, or just the special package that was meant for me.

...But after adjusting to the UM3X sound, I actually may prefer the UM3X just a little more than my W3, at least with certain recordings and the right tips.  For instance, after listening to Bill Evans "Waltz for Debbie" with the UM3X, switching to the W3 made the string bass stand out more than the piano, and the venue sounded a little more hollow and "echoey" to me with the W3.  On the other hand, with Led Zepellin "Mothership" or Pink Floyd "Animals" the W3 seemed a little more punchy and fun to rock out to.  

Nice review - it was long overdue.

As it turns out hopefully tomorrow I'll be getting the new (detachable cables) UM3X as a backup for my ES3X after being terribly disappointed with the SM3 & new SE535.

And yes, the new UM3X also comes with all the tips you mention unlike the older one that just came with Comply tips.

Good to know the detachable cables on the UM3X appear to be the same as the ES (customs) series, unlike those from Ultimate Ears for their Triple.fi 10 & Super.fi 5 pro whose cables were/ are not as good as the UE customs cables.

Like you I also find the soft grey silicone tips the best sounding & most comfortable.

With my ES3X I use the Sony X DAP and always go ampless. The X has an excellent five-band EQ with two custom settings and though I very rarely use it, I always use it when listening to Pink Floyd's Animals and with some (not all) tracks from Led Zeppelin's Mothership. When I had my iPod Classic and UM3X I always used the treble booster for those 2 albums, though the iPod's EQ is not quite on the same level as the Sony X's.

The UM3X to this day remains the best universal IEM I've ever heard.

Aug 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3,206 of 4,413
Back this morning from a long-weekend break. My new UM3X arrived soon after I did. Here's a few photos. Will post impressions later.

Please note I sold my SM3s at the weekend they were shipped earlier today. I managed, however, to do a quick 30-minute comparison between the UM3X and SM3. So, I won't be able to do more direct A/B'ing which would include the SM3. But, I still have the 535s and later today I'll A/B them against my UM3X, which are currently burning-in for a few hours.

From top to bottom: SE535, SM3, UM3X

These two below from left to right: SE535, SM3, UM3X

More photos of the UM3X side by side with the SM3 and SE535 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504607/the-all-new-earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-and-review-thread/855#post_6877305

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/1125#post_6877294

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #3,207 of 4,413
I'll start off saying that if you want to make friends, better not be 100% honest 100% of the time. But since I didn't join head-fi to make friends or improve my social life, I can afford to be...myself.

"Get on with it, what's the screwing verdict?"

The UM3X is the best universal IEM I've ever heard and they give my ES3X a run for their money, pure and simple. So, if you're one of those who disliked or hated the UM3X sound, my advice is to never consider the $850 ES3X, as you'd 'only' be getting a slightly improved version of the UM3X.

OK now, let's get to the boring part of this most long awaited post (and nearly as much as last year's excitement over HeadphoneAddict's 3-way shootout between the ES3X, JH13 & UE11.)

Improvements:

Westone certainly listened to their customers with the new UM3X, and unlike Shure, they made some changes only a year after the original UM3X. Shure, by contrast, took much longer to change their SE530 (3 years, I think).

The # 1 improvement has to be the addition of removable cables, which unlike Ultimate Ears who used a lower quality cable for their Triple.fi 10 & Super.fi 5 to that found on their customs, Westome uses the same 50" braided black cable used in their ES (custom) series.

The Y split, unlike last year's cable which was too close to the chin (just like the SM3s), is just like the customs cables with a very decent distance from the earpieces to the Y split. The difference being about 2" (5cm) longer between the old UM3X (and SM3). Also the ES series cable is more tightly wound than the older UM3X & W3, identical to the SM3.

Now Westone include the same tips that were included with the W3, ie now you get 10 different eartips. Last year's model only  came with Comply tips.

The new Westone case is better than last year's UM3X's and the original W3's case (don't know if it's changed), not only in its shape, but also in the workmanship. Last year's case felt quite cheap by comparison and the W3 was far too soft for such an expensive IEM.

The new UM3X packaging is much smaller and much better designed than last year's very tacky looking packaging. Also, it's more environmentally friendly as it's not 100% plastic like before.

Comfort-wise, the SE535 & UM3X are very, very close, but the swivel mechanism on the 535s just makes the whole inserting process too long and awkward and a little frustrating at times. The indestructible 535 cable remains a bit too stiff for my taste but very nice to look at, and it causes some microphonics, but not a lot. Also, the memory wire on the new UM3X isn't quite as long and bulky as the SE535's - this is a good thing. Both UM3X & SE535 are a little more comfortable than the SM3

The SM3 cable is exactly the same quality as the UM3X, except for the Y split distance to the shells and the obvious removable feature. Apart from that, the rest is identical. I'm sure EarSonics get their cables from Westone or from the same manufacturer.

On the box the SE535s state: "Made in China". The SM3s: "Designed and Made in France". The UM3Xs only: "Assembled in the USA"

The sound:

Seems my memory isn't as bad as I thought. Well, not really. I always remembered quite well how close my UM3X's sounded to my customs, hence the good memory. But I can now confirm that all the comments I've made re SQ comparing the UM3X with the SE535s & SM3s still stand.

The UM3X sounds closer to the SM3, but the SM3 is the UM3X but with a veil (or blanket) over it. The whole sound presentation sounds muffled.

Compared with the SE535s, the UM3X bass has authority, quantity, quality, and impact. The bass on the 535s is too polite. I still find the treble on the 535s a bit too pronounced and 'thinnish' (for lack of a better term). The UM3X treble is not recessed at all, it's just about right, pretty much in between the 535's & SM3s. Mids on all three are excellent, but the SM3 has that veil on all 3 frequencies. The mids are great on the 535s but feel kind of 'naked' or stranded as the bass and treble don't do the 535's mids justice.

Great to confirm again the excellent instrument separation coming from the UM3X, which remains one of it's greatest assets, VERY close to my ES3X - simply incredible!

I don't hear that closed/ boxed-in sound that a handful of people have described.

On the whole the UM3X sound fuller, more convincing, balanced along the whole freq spectrum, neutral and they ARE a joy to listen to. Now I don't feel I'm missing out.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3,209 of 4,413
Aug 24, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #3,210 of 4,413
UM3X with removable cables are on the way! I like the 'unfriendly and anti-social' review music_4321. I also have the SM3 and will compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back