Westone UM3X Thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #3,182 of 4,413
Hello,

did anybody ever test Westone UM3X with Lisa III? Only info I could get is that if they are sensitive Lisa tends to make them hiss. Does anybody know how well this two pair?
Are UM3X sensitive?

Thank you

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #3,184 of 4,413

Quote:
I just got the UM3X with detachable cables and I am wondering if upgrading the cable makes a significant difference?  Also, what is the best cable to upgrade if I decide to?

Depends on whether your ears can discern the difference. I had tried only the Whiplash TWag cable with the UM3X and it adds sparkle to the treble, some transparency to the mid and a little more quantity to the bass. Didn't have the chance to try out other cables.

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #3,185 of 4,413

Quote:
Depends on whether your ears can discern the difference. I had tried only the Whiplash TWag cable with the UM3X and it adds sparkle to the treble, some transparency to the mid and a little more quantity to the bass. Didn't have the chance to try out other cables.

Oh what I'd give to be able to listen to that haha.... I mean I could sell my current stuff and buy those and the twagg to use with my (crosses fingers) iPhone I might get.

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #3,186 of 4,413
Hi

Is anyone using their Westone UM3X on the new Samsung Galaxy S?
On another forum this problem is happening with a lot of different types of phones,,,
[size=large]When you plug the 3.5mm jack out to a headphone device [/size](any headphone)

- Headphone frequency response is modified.
My ears would say approx :
+6db from 35 to 200hz
-2db for 500hz to 5khz
+6db from 10khz to 12khz
+3db from 12 to 16khz

The result sounds like a strong loudness filter.
And you can say good bye to most of voice definition, instrument musicality, sound stage, stereo image and... listening pleasure
I want to know if any of you have had this problem with the Westone UM3X and the Samsung Galaxy S.

I really want to get these phones but need to have this concern answered first.

Thanks

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #3,187 of 4,413
You need to be pretty careful what you pair the UM3X to. The UM3X is a product that shows a lot of the quality and error of the source audio and playback devices.  There are a lot of other earphones out there that are far less sensitive to the quality of what is input into the earphone.  The UM3X won't pretty anything up for you.

Unfortunately phones aren't typically stellar audio devices.  Some manufacturers do try and go the extra miles like Apple and Sony Ericsson and do offer very good audio quality through some phones, many are not so good.  Just because something like the Galaxy S is a pretty new phone, it doesn't exactly make it a good audio playback device.  It is questionable if the internal hardware is very good.  When wanting to use a phone to double as a music player, you really do want to focus on the phones that have specifically been geared to do just that.  Apple made a good effort to make their audio out high in quality.  They have experience with their iPod devices to easily transfer good audio quality into a phone format.  Apple would have been stupid to not offer as much audio quality as their iPod devices in their iPhones.  Sony Ericsson has their Walkman hardware that allows them to transfer high quality hardware right into a phone format.  The W995 is specifically a "Walkman" branded phone with Walkman internals and software.  These kinds of phones are safe bets.  All the others...eh...it's hit or miss.  Now there are test reviews online for a number of these other phones that people have actually tested the frequency response and noise levels of the headphone outs, but not a ton of phones have been tested to such an extent. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #3,188 of 4,413

Quote:
I am struggling to decide between the UM3X and UM2. Having previously owned e-Q7, MTPC and SM3, I prefer the UM2 at lower volume (45%) on my 3GS but UM3X seems to sound better when I increase the volume to at least 55-60%. Midrange on the UM3X seems to be recessed compared to UM2. 

I would be really grateful if you (or anyone else) could describe a bit about how the UM3X compares with the MTPC and SM3.

I have only heard the UM3X and not the other two, and currently have a W3. I'm looking to sidegrade to one as I like the greater clarity offered by the UM3X.
Currently eyeing the UM3X as it has the detachable cables, although SM3 has been getting rave reviews while the MTPC has been the underdog of the high end IEM market.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3,189 of 4,413
I haven't followed this thread for quite a while now, but perhaps some people who come and post or visit here may find the following post useful. The comments below were also posted on the following 2 threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread/960#post_6861497

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504607/the-all-new-earsonics-sm3-appreciation-discussion-and-review-thread/690#post_6861496

OK, I've had two short listening sessions. First, the SM3s out of the box for about 20 mins., then after about 4 hrs' burn-in for another 30 mins. Can't say I notice a real difference between both short sessions, but out of the box the SM3 proved more of a shock than on the second session. I attribute this to the fact that I was already expecting not to be impressed after the initial shock. They also proved more shocking out of the box than my very first session with my SE535s.

Right now I find the SE535 a better IEM than the SM3, although both cannot come close to what I've come to regard -- today more than ever, actually -- as the wonderfully sounding ES3X. By contrast, the IE8s I ordered a few weeks ago did not shock me at all, ie the ES3X sounded better, yes, but not so drastically so, and there are so many claims of the IE8s needing 100s, yes, 100s of hrs to sound their best - had them for a week, 150 hrs' burn-in and no big change, really; they were just very good right out of the box to these ears, anyway.

I honestly never thought both of these universal IEMs would be so different from my ES3X, and I didn't expect that because my other universal IEM, the UM3X (sold 7 months ago), was so close to my customs SQ-wise. I've even gone as far as purchasing a new pair of UM3X -- it's mad, I know -- after the shock I got from hearing the 535s. Yes, spending over $1,000 on three IEMs for testing purposes is not fun when your intention is to keep only one. But, I'd been reading so much on the two I've just got that I had to try them for myself. Initially I was just going to get the SM3s based on apparent similarities with the UM3X, then also decided on the SE535s after reports of it being an upgrade SQ-wise AND construction-wise on the old SE530 which I simply seriously disliked.

I also mentioned elsewhere that I'm not too keen on A/B'ing; it's OK for a few minutes but not fun when you feel you have to share your findings and try to be as accurate as you possibly can. So, having 3 universal IEMs at the same time is not a dream come true, at least to me.

Anyway, I honestly expected better results from the SM3, and more so because I'm not a believer in burn-in, specially with BA IEMs.

With the SM3 I immediately tried my all-time favourite tips, the soft grey silicone (SGS from now on) tips from Westone (almost identical to the Shure's). I then tried the Sensorcom tips, and then the stock bi-flanges.

The SM3 is slightly less comfortable than the 535, but the former remains very comfortable. The SM3 is easier to insert because the 535 swivel mechanism makes it take a little longer. This can be a bit of a nuisance if on the go, needing to insert and remove your IEMs frequently.

The 535's cable is about 10" (25cm) longer than the SM3s, and the Y split is placed about 2" (5 cm) further down on the former, which I find more convenient, but I don't find the SM3s Y split distance from the shells as terribly bad as reported elsewhere, and I don't exactly have a small head.

The cable on the SM3 is very similar to the old UM3X cable but better still in the sense that it's wound up more tightly - reminds me of the black Westone ES Series cable (for customs) which was better than the universal version as I mentioned a few days ago.

The SM3 shells have an overall better finish (read much less home-made build quality) than the old UM3X. I had two UM3X pairs as the initial batch came out with a fault reported by many. Both pairs looked slightly different, uneven, as if they were...well...'home/hand-made'. The SM3 has a smoother, more consistent/ professional finish, but all 3 IEM's (SE535, SM3, UM3X) shells remain plasticky and nothing like the smart and solid looks of the ATH-CK10's or even the IE8's AND even my £60 Sony MDR-EX500. I'll soon see for myself if the new UM3X (with detachable cable) shows any improvements in build quality (shells & cable). On the SM3 box it's stated that these IEMs are designed AND made in France. The 535's box says "Made in China" However, most people will find the 535 looks and finish much more appealing than the SM3's.

The packaging for the 535 is simply WOW, WOW, WOW!, but not my cup of tea really. I much prefer the very, VERY discreet and environmentally friendly SM3 packaging - simple & practical (and much cheaper for shipping purposes).

You only get two types of tips with the SM3s, Complys & grey bi-flanges plus a wax removal tool. The SM3's case is just the right size, and slightly better quality than the old UM3X case. The 535s come with a better choice of tips than the SM3 and the old UM3X (but not the new UM3X as I wrote a few posts back) but I still prefer the 535's/ 530's case (exactly the same) to any other universal I've owned.

OK, music_4321, what about the bl**dy sound?!!!

The 535s, overall, sound better, more balanced, and though a little bright sounding and somewhat bass anemic for my taste (at least compared with my ES3X), today I have no doubt I'd get the 535s over he SM3s, though I much prefer the SM3 cable for it's flexibility and complete lack of microphonics. But from a purely SQ stand, today I'd get the 535s.

The SM3 has more bass, yes, but everything sounds veiled! Highs are recessed no matter which tips I try, SGS and Sensorcom tips sounding very similar, the SGSs being just a little more comfortable. The Sensorcom and stock grey bi-flanges also sound similar, but the former renders highs a little better and are more comfortable, for me at least. I got a good seal from both, BTW.

I most definitely have not heard yet that "glorious" sound and 3D type of soundstage/ headstage reported by some people.

Unlike the 535s I will give the SM3 more time (2 weeks at most) as there have been quite a few reports of dramatic changes in sound. I remain sceptical, though.

As of today -- and please note this may change if the unusual SM3 burn-in effect reported turns out to be true -- the old UM3X is the best universal I've heard, followed by the IE8.

Aug 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #3,190 of 4,413
After loving my UM3Xs for 11 months, I'm sad to report that my cable seems to be shorting. After flexing the cable gently at all points, I think I've narrowed the problem area down to the cables right above the terminal where the one cable from your iPod turns into 2 cables to your ears. I'm noticing the phenomenon in both earpieces, and it's not a complete loss of sound, but a loss of higher-end sounds and it makes the music sound "far away". This problem is intermittent, doesn't happen all the time, and can be resolved by some light jiggling of the wires.

I have used the UM3X daily, but I basically baby it ($400 doesn't grow on trees for me) so I'm a little disappointed that this has happened. Luckily I purchased from earphonesolutions so I'm covered, I contacted Westone and they sent me warranty return instructions. A little bummed that I have to pay out of pocket for return shipping, and also will not have these for several weeks of use.

I did read in the W3 thread, and in some reviews on earphonsolutions for Westone IEMs, similar experiences to mine. I'm not saying it's widespread since they are a minority, but maybe this problem is more than just a random one or two bad samples? Maybe this is why Westone moved to detachable cables in the new UM3X and UM2?

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #3,191 of 4,413
My UM-2s had a similar problem but I had them for over 2 years so the warranty has already run out. But after saying that, I used them quite rough, using them at the gym nearly everyday, so in a way, it's quite good that they lasted this long.
And for that reason, I got the UM3Xs with detachable cable even though they cost $50-60 more.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #3,192 of 4,413

Quote:
My UM-2s had a similar problem but I had them for over 2 years so the warranty has already run out. But after saying that, I used them quite rough, using them at the gym nearly everyday, so in a way, it's quite good that they lasted this long.
And for that reason, I got the UM3Xs with detachable cable even though they cost $50-60 more.

I have the UM2s as well and I find the twisted cable thin and fragile; although, I baby all my gears.  All along I wanted iems with removable cables so I recently gave the TF10s a try, but I had fit and comfort issues so I sold them. I ended up buying the UM3X with removable cables because I wanted to have the ability to upgrade the cable in the future.  I think the UM3X is well worth the investment. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #3,193 of 4,413

I never tried the TF10s but I felt the same about the U10s; although I love the sound signature, I don't like the fit. Personally, I find the UM2s better than the UM3X in terms of comfort. You are wise in getting the UM3Xs with removable cables, hope you enjoy using them. 
happy_face1.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #3,194 of 4,413
Hi, I have the Samsung galaxy S and Um3X. And they work really great together after you have applied the SGS fix on: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=735918. I think it's some kind of active voice enhancement filter as default. The sound quality is actually better then from my computer so I'm listening on SGS at work as well.

SGS probably have the same sound quality as iphone 4 but you have the possibility to play FLAC, so I'm satisfied!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back